Results 2,651 to 2,660 of 3658

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by arpanaut View Post
    Interesting. I find it one of the strength's of Unix/Linux
    Different strokes for different folks.
    I suspect that apart from the 'nix forward slash, those coming from Windows probably find the cryptic naming confusing. We should acknowledge that 'nix is the master of obfuscation
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by sharks View Post
    What are the things that u hate in Ubuntu?
    Having to fix broken stuff yourself. When there's a big fail, there's often not much information available on how to fix it.

I used to find it was drivers, so I got a fully compatible PC. But now I'm still having problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The only thing I hate in Ubuntu is not knowing what to do because I am such a newbie. I kinda enjoy messing around making things work so the problems I have had are not the end of the world to me. I would still choose Linux over Windows and sort of like the idea that in a million years I will know a whole lot of stuff I do not know how and maybe even get to write an app or something.

I think it has to do with liking making things from scratch.

I would like to be able to open tar.gz which I still haven't figured out but someday soon it will happen lol
    Still deciding what to say.....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalyn View Post
    I would like to be able to open tar.gz which I still haven't figured out but someday soon it will happen lol
    tar xvfz filename.tar.gz

See 'man tar' for information.

Personally, my gripe with Ubuntu is that it's too stable, and on some levels, impedes messing with your system. I've also generally found that when something goes wrong in Ubuntu, it's either extremely easy or extremely difficult to fix, and never just as easy as it should be.

Beans

Canonical did a fine job in getting Desktop Linux to where it is today, but now they're losing it by trying to turn Ubuntu into an iphone with the software store, Amazon crap, etc.

Time for some of us to go back to Debian or Fedora. It was a good thing while it lasted. Thanks Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

jnihil, that's one reason I use the derivatives. Unity is only on mainstream Ubuntu.

LiamOS, you've touched on one of my pet peeves. I'll have something set up to where it works, then some change is made somewhere (like in an update) and suddenly what I had working just stops. And the solution is completely opaque--if your issue doesn't happen to ring a bell for someone, you're out of luck.

A good example is what I'm having now. I had PyLOTRO working great on my system, but suddenly for no apparent reason it won't work any more. What am I supposed to do about "WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /tmp/keyring-YPU1bi/pkcs11: Connection refused"? A few people have offered suggestions on the Ubuntu forums, but nothing's worked.

In Windows, you set something up, and you can be pretty sure it'll keep working indefinitely--at least until the next iteration of Windows. But Linux is far more fragile. Yes I know Linux itself is rock-solid, but set up for desktop use with a GUI and the whole suite of apps a typical user expects, it's sensitive to disruption and not very informative about what's making it unhappy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Things that you hate in Ubuntu. Some of Unity so I now run Cinnamon.

I've run with Unity on 12.04 for a few months but have hit a few problems such as:
    - Firefox window going dull and hanging
    - Libreoffice calc icon in launcher not switching desktop to spreadsheet window when clicked.
    So yesterday I installed Cinnamon desktop on 12.04 and as a long term Gnome user up to 10.04 I am thus far happy with Cinnamon.
    It was a pity that the Rubbish Bin/Wastebasket did not appear by default. But that was easily sorted.
    So I'll run with Cinnamon for a while to give it a fair trial.
    ASUS ZenBook UX305 (Intel® Core™ M-5Y10c ) CPU @ 0.80GHz × 4, 8GiB RAM, 128GiB SSD, Ubuntu 18.04
    MSi CR620 (Novatech i3 Core i3-350M) 2.27GHz 2GiB RAM, 250GiB SSD, Ubuntu 18.04 & W10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalyn View Post
    The only thing I hate in Ubuntu is not knowing what to do because I am such a newbie. I kinda enjoy messing around making things work so the problems I have had are not the end of the world to me. I would still choose Linux over Windows and sort of like the idea that in a million years I will know a whole lot of stuff I do not know how and maybe even get to write an app or something.

I think it has to do with liking making things from scratch.

As a new user, opening a tar.gz file is pretty simple, just right click and select open, the file is automagically opened in the file archiver (file roller), there you can chose to do what you want with it, view the contents, extract it, or anything else you can think of.

Beans

I HATE the mouse magnet on the middle edge with multi monitors. My left bars are always visible so the mouse magnet has no function. It SUCKS!

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Busily working on a new release every 6 months while old bugs remain unfixed, or the fixes are not backported so you are forced to upgrade to yet another new buggy release just in order to get the fixes for some old bugs. It is probably more fun for the developers and enthusiasts who always upgrade to the alpha version and chant "let the breakages begin", but from the *normal* user's point of view Ubuntu would appear to be always somewhat buggy. It is not a good model if Ubuntu wants to go mainstream.Just my two cents.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; October 27th, 2012 at 08:56 AM.

Page 266 of 366 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268276316 ... LastLast