Thread: HOWTO: Install Cups-PDF

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HOWTO: Install Cups-PDF

Quote Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
    sudo aa-complain cups

Printing to PDF used to be one of the noticeable advantages for a desktop Ubuntu user over Windows.
    This worked for me with cups 2.5.0-1ubuntu1 on Jaunty 9.04

Great thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
    sudo aa-complain cups
    seems to have fixed the problem, but still a mess.
    This worked for me, I am on Ubuntu 9.04.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install cups-pdf
    then
    Code:
    sudo aa-complain cups

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: Install Cups-PDF

Quote Originally Posted by ldjuda View Post
    Code:
    sudo aa-complain cups
    Why? What does this do?

I have tried to get this to work on Ubuntu 9 with no success. I saw that there is a PDF printer installed but its uri is something bizarre:
    cups-pdf:/

I cannot add a new PDF printer even though I changed /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf to 4755.

Beans

For Jaunty (9.04) I just did this:

Use Synaptic to install cups-pdf (2.5.0-1ubuntu1). That automatically added a printer called PDF. However, using that to print from an application failed with an error ("/usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf failed", I think).

I then created a directory in my home directory called "PDF" (all capitals, no quotes) and it all worked, with the PDF files ending up there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by oblong View Post

Use Synaptic to install cups-pdf (2.5.0-1ubuntu1). That automatically added a printer called PDF. However, using that to print from an application failed with an error ("/usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf failed", I think).

I then created a directory in my home directory called "PDF" (all capitals, no quotes) and it all worked, with the PDF files ending up there.
    That works! Thanks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    techtalk.shieldsgroup.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oblong View Post

Worked for me as well!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

to get it to work in Jaunty I had to this

sudo aa-complain cupsd

and not
    sudo aa-complain cups
    as in previous versions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by adamscottmartin View Post
    Worked for me as well!
    Yep, same here (Jaunty 64bit) - glad I found the instruction to create PDF directory, I also did set permissions to others, as mentioned somewhere else.

The problem is - the printer itself is rather primitive, e.g. no way to reduce resulting file size - only resolution down to 150dpi (unlike in Acrobat Pro, where you can print same document as 10MB or a 100KB file), no [obvious] way to change file name and directory, although this is a minor inconvenience. For example: printing fillable form of 730KB resulted in a 2.9MB file, whereas in Acrobat Pro, even without tweaking the "Smalest File Size" option I get 98KB file. Guess which one I would prefer to email each week?

Actually, the whole situation with fillable pdf forms - especially creation and editing, is really bad, or to be precise, totally absent from Ubuntu. PDFEdit is a complete rubbish, and I am not aware of any other application that even close to Acrobat Pro in functionality. I have now moved to linux completely and am determined not to use Windows at all. Acrobat Pro and CorelDRAW are the two progs holding me back. Any help greatly appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: Install Cups-PDF

Wait, couldn't you just use the 'Print to File' printer and select pdf as the output type? That way, you even get to set the name and location of the resulting pdf!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@pt123: Hmmm... That weird. I didn't have to either! I just installed the cups-pdf package and it all worked after that.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast