Thread: Display Link in Ubuntu?

Beans

Display Link in Ubuntu?

Hi all, greetings from Indianapolis, In!

I have been using Ubuntu quite well for a few years now, Since about 8.10..

I've been able to get used to and learn how to use Linux, am a member of a linux users group here locally, am a technician all that good stuff...

I've recently gotten a new ultrabook after my old desktop gave up the ghost and no amount of spit and bailing wire would keep it running again..

So my question is, I had gotten very spoiled and had been using 2 24" monitors in dual display for some time.

And also with a macbook pro at work by way of using a Sabrent USB display adapter. I picked another one up cheap for use for home, but it seems it's a little harder than it seems with Ubunut.

I have heard that they do work pretty well in Fedora 17 and I found some things on Ubuntu.com where they were working on multi-screen setups..

So to make a long story short, is there a script or package available that makes setting up a multi-screen setup for a ultrabook/notebook set up easier than editing the X config files?

Just seems like a little too much work to set up something right now..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Display Link in Ubuntu?

Which version of Ubuntu are you using now?

Unless there is a problem with drivers for your hardware, you shouldn't have a problem. It's all done from the settings now, in the GUI. Simple, straightforward, quick.

Try it and let us know if you get a problem.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    Which version of Ubuntu are you using now?

Unless there is a problem with drivers for your hardware, you shouldn't have a problem. It's all done from the settings now, in the GUI. Simple, straightforward, quick.

Try it and let us know if you get a problem.

I am using ubuntu12.04....

I didn't have much of a problem before because I was using a desktop with an add-in Nvidia video card, So I could use the Nvidia controls with it..

Now I have the ultrabook, it only has the one display adapter, so I am trying to use the Sabrent USB display adapter to drive the other 24" monitor, I get a green screen but can't get the monitor to display anything... Trying to set up the 2 24" monitors in an extended desktop with the ultrabook in clamshell mode when I am at home and working at my desk.

Is there something simple I am missing with the setup?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The default — when it works — is to show the same thing on both monitors. So if you see green on one screen in the default mode, then I surmise it is a problem with either your hardware or the drivers.

I am sorry that I don't know how to diagnose this problem.

Edit: what does your Settings screen show?
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    The default — when it works — is to show the same thing on both monitors. So if you see green on one screen in the default mode, then I surmise it is a problem with either your hardware or the drivers.

I am sorry that I don't know how to diagnose this problem.

Edit: what does your Settings screen show?
    Thank you for your help,

The hardware isn't the problem though, it works fine when I use it with the Macbook pro.

I'm thinking it's something in the display link driver and the X config file.