Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i reinstall the windows boot loader

Beans
    Hidden!

how do i reinstall the windows boot loader

i have recently had a problem that removed the windows bootloader in my system and i need to re install it but still keep grub2 to boot into ubuntu as that is what i still usualy use.
    is there any way to boot windows directaly from grub 2 or do i just have to continue to chain load into the windows bootloader

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: how do i reinstall the windows boot loader

Quote Originally Posted by jarrah-95 View Post
    i have recently had a problem that removed the windows bootloader in my system and i need to re install it but still keep grub2 to boot into ubuntu as that is what i still usualy use.
    is there any way to boot windows directaly from grub 2 or do i just have to continue to chain load into the windows bootloader
    So is this a dual boot or wubi, and you must have installed grub2 yourself.
    If you run sudo grub-update in linux it should load windows into grub.

I don't know the answer to the windows boot-loader, but if you are dual booting with Linux as the second install; you want grub to be the boot-loader.
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; October 7th, 2009 at 08:28 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

this i s a full install ( no wubi) and will updating allow me to boot straght into windows as the windows boot loader that it use to chainload into has an error

Beans
    Hidden!

simple answer , you can't keep both grub and windows MBR ... windows allow only windows to boot. so only grub is the option for you to be able to boot both windows and ubuntu.

so install windows then reinstall grub so that your system is configured to boot from both windos and ubuntu...
    ----Am right, definately am right, ----
    well It just depends on personal beliefs
    --may be you are also right---

Beans
    Hidden!

is there any way to reinstall the bootloader for windows this is what i need

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jarrah-95 View Post
    ... is there any way to boot windows directaly from grub 2 or do i just have to continue to chain load into the windows bootloader
    The GRUB loaders only hand off control to the windows boot loaders for MS Windows partitions, so if the MS Windows boot loader is hosed, you won't be able to boot no matter what you do with any version of GRUB.

I've read that the SuperGrubDisk is supposedly able to restore an MS Windows MBR -- but I've not actually tried it.

The actual way to restore a Vista boot loader is by booting from the Vista DVD and running startup repair a few times. If you don't have a Vista DVD, go to the NeoSmart Technology forums. They have a link where you can download an image to burn a repair CD.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Here's the link Mark refers to.

Seems kind of silly to have to download a 120MB file in order to fix the tiny Windows MBR, but if this disc makes the process easy I guess it's worth it!!

EDIT: I wonder if there's a similar download for XP?

Beans

First i'm sorry for my bad english.
    What windows you have? If you have windows xp you can use the recovery console. Can find it on windows xp install cd. Put the disk in the cd/dvd-rom, chose Recovery console /on the first screen is press R/
    Now you have to type this two commands:
    fixmbr and fixboot /you need and the administrator password to use the Recovery Console/
    But after that you won't have a dual boot.
    You can use only windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Naster4o is half right. If your MBR is currently occupied by the Grub boot manager and you wush to retain it for dual boot, then in the Windows Recovery Console just run fixboot and forget about fixmbr. This should fix your Windows boot loader but leave the Grub boot manager intact.

Beans
    Hidden!

ok thanks for the ideas but i now have a wierd suituation after having vista and xp and having truble with vista i have a vista dvd and a xp install but i think that it runs of the vista bootloader first and then the xp one so when i get home ill try the visa disk and if that works than itl be right but if the xp ones still stuffed then how can i get it to work without a windows xp disk
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast