Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where can I get Pitivi Plugins?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Where can I get Pitivi Plugins?

Where can I get effects and transitions plugins for pitivi? Do they exist?

Beans

Re: Where can I get Pitivi Plugins?

I have been wondering this myself. It feels like no one wants to admit that they don't exist or something.

Beans

Yeah, for some reason, it does not seem anyone has made any.
    Customer: (angrily) "You said I would get 98 windows with this computer. Where are they?"
    Recent video card: Supports two DIFFERENT applications open at one time;
    My 6-year-old laptop with integrated graphics does that just fine

Beans

I've been looking around too, without any success...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'd like to know this as well, and also if there is any way to get more codecs supported by it.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought it would be better than making a new one about the same thing.
    “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
    I'd like to know this as well, and also if there is any way to get more codecs supported by it.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought it would be better than making a new one about the same thing.
    It's okay, I'm looking for this too!

Beans

Yeah. PiTiVi does not have any existing transitions/plugins at the moment. This is not about "no one wants to admit it", it's publicly known. I mean, this is the first time I see such a thread, I have followed the PiTiVi mailing list and I don't remember anyone asking about this before today. And this is not because they're being dishonest, it's because they are still concentrating on getting the basic feature set done. Until that is done, there are no transitions or stuff like that (but it looks like development should speed up soon, since Brandon was hired (full-time maybe?) to give some serious love to PiTiVi now).

They still need as much help as they can get, so if you want to learn programming Python (which is pretty much the easiest language around), consider joining in the project, and they will gladly help you get started.

In the meantime though, PiTiVi is nowhere near being ready for general video editing. I speak as a former hobbyist video editor (doing silly films with Vegas Video).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by kiddo View Post
    Yeah. PiTiVi does not have any existing transitions/plugins at the moment. This is not about "no one wants to admit it", it's publicly known. I mean, this is the first time I see such a thread, I have followed the PiTiVi mailing list and I don't remember anyone asking about this before today. And this is not because they're being dishonest, it's because they are still concentrating on getting the basic feature set done. Until that is done, there are no transitions or stuff like that (but it looks like development should speed up soon, since Brandon was hired (full-time maybe?) to give some serious love to PiTiVi now).

They still need as much help as they can get, so if you want to learn programming Python (which is pretty much the easiest language around), consider joining in the project, and they will gladly help you get started.

In the meantime though, PiTiVi is nowhere near being ready for general video editing. I speak as a former hobbyist video editor (doing silly films with Vegas Video).
    I just don't understand how everyone can rant and rave about a video editor that can't even do transitions, effects, subtitles and text effects, color correcting, etc. I mean, what can it be used for? Editing the timeline is about it, right?

I had to edit a movie last night and ended up using Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 (sadly) because I couldn't even do a transition in PiTivi!

That being said, I have *read* there they have extend-able, modular, open-source framework there for a great video editor and that good things will come from it soon. It just doesn't seem like soon enough because Kino, OpenMovieEditor, etc. are just garbage and the state of open-source video editing is almost completely unusable.

I've been using purely and wholly open source software for years and I must say this is one area that needs catchup.

I offered to help PiTiVi with their website on their mailing list, but no one took me up on it. I'd help program in Python if I knew how, but I don't.

I look forward to PiTiVi in Ubuntu 9.10, but that just feels too far away.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by altonbr View Post
    I just don't understand how everyone can rant and rave about a video editor that can't even do transitions, effects, subtitles and text effects, color correcting, etc.
    It is indeed fanboyism/vaporwarism; as the *authors* of pitivi don't actually say stuff like that. People "outside" of it look at the screenshots/read the blogs around and hype it up (that's what I think) without trying it for real. Or there is a fair amount of group thinking/denial in place.

However, PiTiVi has a special place in the hearts of many as being hailed as the "right way to do it", because it uses the gstreamer multimedia framework. I would like to think that it is the way of the future, too (but I am not certain).

Take a look at the blog post I wrote a few months ago on the situation, which also references another blog post by Eugenia about the Elephant in the room.

I mean, what can it be used for? Editing the timeline is about it, right?
    You are right. It can do no more than stitching clips one after another and rendering the timeline at the moment (and it has been like this for a long time). I expect things to start changing, however, for three reasons:
    1. I have seen more and more interested contributors appearing (one of which was Brandon Lewis over a year ago)
    2. they *finally* followed my advice to ditch the "two timelines: simple and advanced" idea. It was a recipe for failure and I told them years ago that it would cause problems. Now they will concentrate on only one timeline, and that will make things simpler
    3. Brandon is now full-time on pitivi, as I understand it

I had to edit a movie last night and ended up using Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 (sadly) because I couldn't even do a transition in PiTivi!
    Sure. If I had to edit movies nowadays, I would still be falling back to Windows to use Vegas Video, or anything "mature". Or if I was overflowing with cash, I'd get a mac with iMovie, but the price tag is still giving me goosebumps. I'm somewhat glad I don't have time for making films nowadays.

That being said, I have *read* there they have extend-able, modular, open-source framework there for a great video editor and that good things will come from it soon.
    Personally, I'd keep my doubts on this. But that may be just me having waited for 4-5 years for this open source niche to be filled.

I've been using purely and wholly open source software for years and I must say this is one area that needs catchup.
    Agreed.

I offered to help PiTiVi with their website on their mailing list, but no one took me up on it.
    Hm, I don't see this in my archives, any link to it? Maybe I was not subscribed back then. In any case, PiTiVi used to have a website (I was the designer/webmaster, I still have it in my files, see the attached screenshot), but it has been replaced by the Wiki because the website was completely unmaintained. If you think you can maintain it in good/useful shape, maybe this could be done...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

http://www.linux.com/feature/152464

I did not know/notice that they were really serious about getting something usable done by April. I guess things will get interesting.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast