Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iptables block attemtps

Beans

iptables block attemtps

Its been suggested that I use the following but not wure what the first line does:

Alternately you may learn to use iptables. Iptables has several additional features including the ability to black list an ip address after failed attempts.

Code:
    sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --set --name SSH --rsource -j ACCEPT
    sudo iptables -A INPUT -m recent --update --seconds 600 --hitcount 8 --rttl --name SSH --rsource -j DROP
    "--hit count" is the number of new connections. Keep in mind each new connection gives multiple opportunities to enter a password. If you use scp, use a higher hitcount as each file will be a new ssh session.

"--seconds" How long an ipaddress will be blacklisted. 10 minutes is usually sufficient to deter most "script kiddies".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: iptables block attemtps

For many many years now, I have used a similar method to help deal with SSH attacks. Just within the last couple of months, on some other ubuntu forums thread, I saw the method you posted. I do not understand it, although I didn't actually test it. Here is what I do:
    Code:
    # Secure Shell on port 22.
    #
    # Dynamic Badguy List. Detect and DROP Bad IPs that do password attacks on SSH.
    # Once they are on the BADGUY list then DROP all packets from them.
    $IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXTIF -m recent --update --hitcount 3 --seconds 5400 --name BADGUY_SSH -j LOG --log-prefix "SSH BAD:" --log-level info
    $IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXTIF -m recent --update --hitcount 3 --seconds 5400 --name BADGUY_SSH -j DROP
    $IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXTIF -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m recent --set --name BADGUY_SSH -j ACCEPT
    Notice how I have the DROP rule first, if there have alreay been "hitcount" attempts. Only, then does the SSH packet get accepted, and the hitcount bumped. I use a longer block time because I have had occurences where 10 minutes was not enough.

My "ESTABLISHED, RELATED" bypass of these rules is earlier in my rules INPUT chain.
    Last edited by Doug S; November 25th, 2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: added something

Beans
    Distro

I tried the method of the original post on a test computer. It worked fine. To answer the orignal question: The first line allows packets for a NEW tcp connection for an ssh session through as long as "hitcount" has not been reached yet. Typically some sort of small hitcount allows legitimate users to log in.
    I did lock myself out of my test machine, as once the rule triggers all packets from the IP are dropped, and I did not have an ESTABLISHED, RELATED bypass in this case.

Beans

Thanks Doug. My only question is then

My "ESTABLISHED, RELATED" bypass of these rules is earlier in my rules INPUT chain.

What does that mean ? I have not added any rules to my INPUT chain other than the individual IP's i've manually blocked this far with -j DROPS.

What is your code segment that you posted. What is

$IPTABLES

versus my command line entry of the commands with

sudo iptables

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by dkardell View Post
    What is your code segment that you posted. What is

$IPTABLES

versus my command line entry of the commands with

sudo iptables
    It's just a variable that probably uses the full path to iptables.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I guess I posted without claifying some things.
    Thanks to Charles for explaining the variable.

In what I posted the variables are:
    $IPTABLES means /sbin/iptables
    $EXITIF means the external network interface. (On my system I have an internal and an external network interface.) You could delete the interface specifier if you want. You could also delete the logging rule if you want.
    $EXTIP means my external IP address (see below)
    $UNIVERSE means any IP address or "0.0.0.0/0" (see below)

When a new TCP session is started the first packet will be in a NEW state. Subsqequent packets for that same session are for either an ESTABLISHED or a RELATED state. Providing a path around the check for session already in progess is all I was saying. Your original rules included a "NEW" state check. Example:
    Code:
    $IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXTIF -s $UNIVERSE -d $EXTIP -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
    # Secure Shell on port 22.
    #
    # Dynamic Badguy List. Detect and DROP Bad IPs that do password attacks on SSH.
    # Once they are on the BADGUY list then DROP all packets from them.
    $IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXTIF -m recent --update --hitcount 3 --seconds 5400 --name BADGUY_SSH -j LOG --log-prefix "SSH BAD:" --log-level info
    $IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXTIF -m recent --update --hitcount 3 --seconds 5400 --name BADGUY_SSH -j DROP
    $IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXTIF -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m recent --set --name BADGUY_SSH -j ACCEPT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I do about the same thing, but on a single line. The default (last rule in the chain) I have for the chain is reject.

Code:
       ip6tables -I INPUT -p TCP --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m limit --limit 8/minute --limit-burst 8 -j ACCEPT
       iptables  -I INPUT -p TCP --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m limit --limit 8/minute --limit-burst 8 -j ACCEPT

Beans

Thanks Doug this is now becoming a bit more clear. I still want to be sure I know everything I'm doing first.

So if I go to the command line and issue

sudo iptables -A INPUT -m recent --update --seconds 600 --hitcount 3 --rttl --name SSH --rsource -j DROP

That will add any IP that attempts to try and ssh to my server and is rejected 3 times to the DROP list correct?

Lars, I'm not sure what you mean by your comment of: I do about the same thing, but on a single line. The default (last rule in the chain) I have for the chain is reject.

Code:
    ip6tables -I INPUT -p TCP --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m limit --limit 8/minute --limit-burst 8 -j ACCEPT

iptables  -I INPUT -p TCP --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m limit --limit 8/minute --limit-burst 8 -j ACCEPT
    and what is ip6tables vs iptables?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

ip6tables is iptables for IPv6.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dkardell View Post
    That will add any IP that attempts to try and ssh to my server and is rejected 3 times to the DROP list correct?
    Yes, as long as there is not 10 minutes between login attempts. Also, The default sshd_config allows 6 password tries on one TCP connection before it kicks you out. Most automated ssh attack programs only try once per connection. Another change I make is to add these lines to sshd_config:
    Code:
    #Smythies.com
    #Limit the number of bad passwords per connection to 2. Default is 6.
    #Then the iptables connection counter will kick in sooner to drop
    #password attack hackers.
    MaxAuthTries 2
    By the way, for this line:
    If you use scp, use a higher hitcount as each file will be a new ssh session.
    from your original post. I tested it and it is not true. There will one TCP ssh session per scp session, regardless of the number of files transferred. I also tested WinSCP from a windows computer, with the same results.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast