Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Beans

Re: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Quote Originally Posted by traditionalist View Post
    Thank you very much, that goes a long way to explaining why my graphics problems disappeared after doing this;

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package...base/nux-tools

Obviously the command line is flawed.
    The command line is fine, the command you posted was flawed. It was also off-topic for the purposes of this thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    The command line is fine, the command you posted was flawed. It was also off-topic for the purposes of this thread
    The command line is flawed because the package name is incorrect. "nuxtools" instead of "nux-tools".

All I asked you to do was explain what problems might arise and why you thought it was a boneheaded thing to do. You have consistently failed to even attempt that, and instead gone off on all sorts of irrelevant tangents. I can only assume that you are incapable of explaining and just like calling people boneheads.

Whatever, as I wrote, have a nice day.
    There is always a way, but it might not be the best way, or your way!

Beans

The command line is flawed because the package name is incorrect. "nuxtools" instead of "nux-tools".

All I asked you to do was explain what problems might arise and why you thought it was a boneheaded thing to do. You have consistently failed to even attempt that, and instead gone off on all sorts of irrelevant tangents. I can only assume that you are incapable of explaining and just like calling people boneheads.

Whatever, as I wrote, have a nice day.
    How in the world is it irrelevant that the command you recommend is broken?

It's not my responsibility to correct your bad command and then try something that I already think is a bad idea.

Even now you're blaming the "command-line" when you obviously misspelled a package name.

You responded to a post here and gave what I still believe to be horrid advice:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=43

I'll be sure and tell anyone that tries that to send you a PM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    How in the world is it irrelevant that the command you recommend is broken?

It's not my responsibility to correct your bad command and then try something that I already think is a bad idea.

Even now you're blaming the "command-line" when you obviously misspelled a package name.

You responded to a post here and gave what I still believe to be horrid advice:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=43

I'll be sure and tell anyone that tries that to send you a PM
    Either you are stupid, being deliberately obtuse, or trying to distract from your own ineptitude instead of admitting calling it boneheaded when you actually have no idea whether it might cause problems or not was a silly thing to do. It was not my command. I am a complete newbie to Linux. For the umpteenth time, I did not recommend anything, I simply related what I did.

I am not "blaming" anyone or any thing for anything at all. I asked you a simple question and rather than answer it you keep on posting rubbish.

When you are in a deep hole with no way to get out, it is best to stop digging.

I don't care what you do.

Bye.......................
    Last edited by traditionalist; May 31st, 2012 at 04:14 AM.

Beans

Either you are stupid, being deliberately obtuse, or trying to distract from your own ineptitude instead of admitting calling it boneheaded when you actually have no idea whether it might cause problems or not was a silly thing to do. It was not my command. I am a complete newbie to Linux. For the umpteenth time, I did not recommend anything, I simply related what I did.

I am not "blaming" anyone or any thing for anything at all. I asked you a simple question and rather than answer it you keep on posting rubbish.

When you are in a deep hole with no way to get out, it is best to stop digging.

I don't care what you do.

Bye.......................
    I'm not stupid, obtuse, or inept! I an old and grouchy though.

But I know when to take a time out and see if I said something wrong.

In this case I don't believe I did say anything wrong. In post #43 you made an absolute recommendation:

Screenshot from 2012-05-30 22:41:52.jpg

Then in the next post I say I think it's a bone-headed idea. I DO NOT call you a bone-head or make any derogatory comment regarding you personally:

Screenshot from 2012-05-30 22:42:48.jpg

I did that in hopes of preventing mystmaiden from causing herself further problems.

At no point did I call you any names but now you've called me several, why?

I pointed out that the link you posted was flawed, did I not?

And if your post #43 was not a recommendation what was it?

And how exactly was it rubbish to point out that the command you recommended was flawed?

I suggest a long hard look in the mirror

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mystmaiden View Post
    I' m still having the same problem I had in my earlier post, unity is still present. I think the trouble is that I have it set to automatic login so the choice to use classic isn't there. Is it possible/okay to simply remove unity entirely?

thanks

mystmaiden
    All you have to do is to disable the automatic login from System Tools -> System Settings -> User Accounts. After you log out and log in again you can select the gnome classic desktop from that gear thingy. No need to remove unity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian9485 View Post
    All you have to do is to disable the automatic login from System Tools -> System Settings -> User Accounts. After you log out and log in again you can select the gnome classic desktop from that gear thingy. No need to remove unity.
    That is what I tried first. It didn't work, my graphics were all over the place, and I did not like unity anyway. Removing it altogether solved my problems and has not caused any others as far as I can tell. My system is stable and running well.

But thanks for the explanation.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the replies. I fixed the auto login and checked gnome classic but unity is still there. EDIT - I see now the trouble. I needed to check the No Tweaks one.

mystmaiden
    Last edited by mystmaiden; June 3rd, 2012 at 06:10 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mystmaiden View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I fixed the auto login and checked gnome classic but unity is still there. EDIT - I see now the trouble. I needed to check the No Tweaks one.

mystmaiden
    So you have it then?

The standard classic session seems to be broken in a number of ways, I assume due to the Compiz settings used for Unity.

Since I've never cared much for Compiz anyway I haven't even tried to figure that out.

Beans

Having noticed some recent updates to webupd8's theming ppa I decided to try some of the Zukitwo themes in Precise classic (no effects). They work at the time of this posting but if you notice a problem with any of the included themes please let me know. Before beginning please understand that the themes are basically divided into two basic categories; gtk theme and window theme, but you may also find that some icon themes work better than others with different gtk themes.

### Lets first have a look at the default Precise settings before changing anything ###

Before posting this I decided to check the default settings in a freshly installed Precise and I'm glad I did. The default Window theme was Ambiance as expected, but the gtk-theme was Adwaita! I'm not sure when that changed but I decided it would be best to also check the defaults for the icon and cursor themes and I was once again surprised because the default icon theme is gnome and the default cursor theme is Adwaita.

So, to restore those defaults, you'd use these commands:

Code:
    gconftool-2 -s --type string /apps/metacity/general/theme Ambiance
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme Adwaita
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme gnome
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-theme Adwaita
    But I find the defaults in upgrades to vary from that and I personally find the following settings to be more consistently appropriate to obtain a usable out-of-box appearance in Precise:

Code:
    gconftool-2 -s --type string /apps/metacity/general/theme Ambiance
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme Ambiance
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme ubuntu-mono-dark
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-theme DMZ-White
    You can of course check your own settings before changing anything by using these commands:

Code:
    gconftool-2 -g /apps/metacity/general/theme
    Code:
    gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme
    Code:
    gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme
    Code:
    gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-theme
    Or you might want to back up your existing configuration as I posted about here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=40

##########################################

Now we can move on to the theming tweaks I've tried so far

With the latest updates to the aforementioned PPA I've found all of the following Zukitwo Gtk themes to work fairly well with the Shiki-Colors-Metacity window theme in Precise classic (no effects). However I have NOT tried them with other DE's like gnome-shell or Unity, and it bears repeating that my only concern is "classic (no effects)" which uses Metacity NOT the standard "classic" session which uses Compiz!

Of course to try these you'll need to install that PPA and install 'zukitwo-theme-all' and 'zukitwo-colors-theme'. And since I prefer using the aforementioned 'shiki-colors-metacity-theme' I've included it in the commands:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install shiki-colors-metacity-theme zukitwo-theme-all zukitwo-colors-theme
    Then I set the window theme:

Code:
    gconftool-2 -s --type string /apps/metacity/general/theme Shiki-Colors-Metacity
    Next I can use any of the following commands to install my preferred Zukitwo Gtk theme.

My personal favorite is Zukitwo-Dust which I find to blend very well with the Precise Pangolin wallpaper:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme Zukitwo-Dust
    Screenshot from 2012-06-03 09:32:33.jpg

Another that I find to be quite popular among my peers is Zukitwo-Dark which I'd previously used in Oneiric:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme Zukitwo-Dark
    my_new_classic_DE.jpg

But all of the following seem to work OK with the Shiki-Colors-Metacity window theme:

Quite a grayish-blue:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme Zukitwo
    A bright, but light and pleasant blue:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme Zukitwo-Brave
    A bright, but rather light orange:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme Zukitwo-Human
    Pink, really pink:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme Zukitwo-Illustrious
    Purple:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme Zukitwo-Noble
    A rather pinkish red:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme Zukitwo-Wine
    A light, bright green:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme Zukitwo-Wise
    I hope you've found a look that suits you
    Last edited by kansasnoob; June 17th, 2012 at 09:41 PM.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast