Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Non-Wacom tablets work in Ubuntu12.04

Beans

Question Making Non-Wacom tablets work in Ubuntu12.04

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 Unity. And I want to buy a non wacom tablet for my graphics works. Anyways, in different places and forums, I have read that non-wacom tablets doesnt work properly in Linux or if they work, they dont work In Qt apps like krita or Blender. I dont need to make it work In Blender, But I want to and I must work it in krita. (Though in wizardpen setup guide of ubuntu, It is written krita works "full support since 1.6"...)

I have read about severals methods about configuring a non-wacom tablet in Linux...like using the ppa of Doctormo (wizardpen driver) or tweaking the evdev driver o or changing few lines in 50-Wacom.conf file or creating some new things inside xorg.conf.d folder...
    Since I'm not a programmer type, and because I'm using Ubuntu for one year or so, i know the basics but not a linux savvy. I'm an artist and all I need is a step by step process to make my device work.

The tablet I'm aiming to buy is all iBall 8060U which is a rebranding of UC-Logic Tablet WP8060U and the tablet is on the supported list of this page http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...support_status I dont know much of these, but people were talking about this list in KDE/krita forums...

I better know about a good process because what if after buying it, i find it doesnt work at all...And also Wacom is high for my budget. So Please help.
    If even it works out of the box, pressure sensitivity wont work with krita most possibly until we tweak something... If even i get a slightest idea that the tablet should work, I wont have a hole in my pocket buying a wacom...
    Thank you.
    Last edited by EscapedNight; March 18th, 2013 at 10:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Help: Making Non-Wacom tablets work in Ubuntu12.04

Hi EscapedNight,

As far as I can tell the iBall 8060U (UC-Logic Tablet WP8060U) should work out of the box in Precise (12.04) for you. You won't know absolutely for sure until you can run the command lsusb in a terminal with the tablet attached. The output contains the Vendor and Product ID for the tablet.

The "Tablet support status" page tells you the kernel driver for the tablet is working in the 2.6.36 kernel or later. Precise has the 3.2 kernel. The evdev X driver (xf86-input-evdev) picks up the usb data from the kernel and translates it into stuff the X Server can understand. And the X Server is what draws everything on your monitor.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, the Qt bug with evdev is still present. Qt does not draw with pressure when the Pen is on the evdev driver, although it handles Pens on the Wacom driver fine. So there is still a problem with Krita unless you do one of the hacks linked to in the DIGImend wiki.

The most recent Blender has fixed the pressure bug it had with evdev. That doesn't do you much good, does it?

Beans

Re: Help: Making Non-Wacom tablets work in Ubuntu12.04

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi EscapedNight,

As far as I can tell the iBall 8060U (UC-Logic Tablet WP8060U) should work out of the box in Precise (12.04) for you. You won't know absolutely for sure until you can run the command lsusb in a terminal with the tablet attached. The output contains the Vendor and Product ID for the tablet.

The "Tablet support status" page tells you the kernel driver for the tablet is working in the 2.6.36 kernel or later. Precise has the 3.2 kernel. The evdev X driver (xf86-input-evdev) picks up the usb data from the kernel and translates it into stuff the X Server can understand. And the X Server is what draws everything on your monitor.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, the Qt bug with evdev is still present. Qt does not draw with pressure when the Pen is on the evdev driver, although it handles Pens on the Wacom driver fine. So there is still a problem with Krita unless you do one of the hacks linked to in the DIGImend wiki.

The most recent Blender has fixed the pressure bug it had with evdev. That doesn't do you much good, does it?

Hi,
    Thank you for replying. yeah that's right, i cant finally understand if there is a problem or not until i get the tablet. But well now i know it SHOULD work. And yeah I dont work much in Blender, so it does not do much good to me
    I will keep this thread unsolved Until i get the tablet so that i can get future helps about configuring it.
    Btw, can you tell me the ways how to make it work in krita? Or you will need the lsusb data and those for that?
    I need it work in three apps must - gimp2.8, mypaint and krita. In inkscape it will work i guess.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Making Non-Wacom tablets work in Ubuntu12.04

Viktoria S. figured out how to get them working in Qt/Krita. Don't know if I would be much help to you with it. When you go to the DIGImend wiki: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...title=DIGImend it's in the Application Setup page. From there go to the Krita page: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...setup_in_Krita

In the tip she links you to the bug report where the hacks are. As she says using the hack is risky and just because it worked for her doesn't mean it will work for you, although it probably would. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the Qt dev.s have even looked at the bug report. So I don't know if they are even aware of the problem or are doing anything about it.

Yes, Inkscape should be fine.

Beans

Viktoria S. figured out how to get them working in Qt/Krita. Don't know if I would be much help to you with it. When you go to the DIGImend wiki: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...title=DIGImend it's in the Application Setup page. From there go to the Krita page: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...setup_in_Krita

In the tip she links you to the bug report where the hacks are. As she says using the hack is risky and just because it worked for her doesn't mean it will work for you, although it probably would. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the Qt dev.s have even looked at the bug report. So I don't know if they are even aware of the problem or are doing anything about it.

Yes, Inkscape should be fine.

Those are very useful links, Not much for Krita but for other apps surely. Thank you
    Some days ago, I posted in Krita's forum...But I didn't notice she posted another solution there without doing anything with Qt. Take a look. http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f...art=30#p251547

Beans
    Distro

Yes, but that only works with the new KYE (Genius) tablets, not the UC_LOGIC tablets. The KYE's will work with the Wacom X driver but the UC-LOGIC tablets don't. The KYE's are suppose to work with the evdev X driver so using the Wacom X driver amounts to a work around.

Beans

Yes, but that only works with the new KYE (Genius) tablets, not the UC_LOGIC tablets. The KYE's will work with the Wacom X driver but the UC-LOGIC tablets don't. The KYE's are suppose to work with the evdev X driver so using the Wacom X driver amounts to a work around.
    Oh i see! What a bad luck :/

Okay thank you a lot. I will inform in this thread if I have any trouble with my tablet
    Have a nice day

Beans

By the way, I heard after 13.04, Ubuntu will be written in Qt - that means non-wacom tablets wont work in ubuntu anymore?

Beans
    Distro

If that happens hopefully the bug will be fixed by then. But non-wacoms should continue to work in Gtk app.s like Gimp and Inskscape. And as mentioned Blender has fixed its issue. Blender doesn't use either of the toolkits, it is independent of Gtk and Qt.

Beans

If that happens hopefully the bug will be fixed by then. But non-wacoms should continue to work in Gtk app.s like Gimp and Inskscape. And as mentioned Blender has fixed its issue. Blender doesn't use either of the toolkits, it is independent of Gtk and Qt.
    Hi, I bought the tablet Finally. It's iBall 8060U which is rebranding of UC-Logic WP8060U.

First of all, it's not working well. Or simply I dont know how to make it work. Works in mypaint, but the brush radius shows pretty big on canvas but the line is not that thick
    Didnt test in other app yet

Here,

Code:
    lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 192f:0916 Avago Technologies, Pte. 
    Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0a81:0101 Chesen Electronics Corp. Keyboard
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 5543:0005 UC-Logic Technology Corp. Tablet WP8060U

xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ USB Optical Mouse                           id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U                     id=12    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U                     id=13    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                                   id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ CHESEN USB Keyboard                         id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ CHESEN USB Keyboard                         id=11    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    Update, it's working in gimp, inkscape and mypaint. Can't sculp on blender because I have 2gb RAM, so cant check. And No pressure in krita. Can you instruct me how to build the patch to make it work in krita?
    Also, do i need to calibrate it?
    Last edited by EscapedNight; March 25th, 2013 at 12:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast