Thread: Moving to Gazelle Professional from a MacBook Pro

Beans

Moving to Gazelle Professional from a MacBook Pro

Just wanted to share my experience with my new Gazelle Professional. Even though I got it a month ago, I could not move to it until last week. Since I was moving from a Macbook pro, I was a bit hesitant. But now I realize my fears were unfounded. The main thing that I miss from my MacBook is primarily the look and feel of hardware. The keyboard and trackpad are no match to those of MacBook's.

Once I got over that, I was very happy to have made the move. Most of my work involves Linux, so I was really having hard time having to remember commands for both mac and Linux. Moving completely to Linux was a huge relief.

Another problem was migrating my Windows virtual machine that was running on Parallels. I could not get the Parallels to run on Ubuntu 12.10, although I should mention I did not try terribly hard. So I had to ditch my existing Windows VM. I installed a fresh Windows VM on Virtual Box and I am back in business.

Also the kernel crashed at least on 4 different occasions when coming back from sleep. But ever since I have moved on to hibernating, it has not yet crashed. I am still crossing my fingers on that. Before I enabled the hibernate option, I increased my swap size to double that of RAM. Since I have the OS and swap on an SSD, the hibernate is not really that much slower than the sleep, so I am pretty happy with this setup.

Another thing that I just love with Gazelle is the capability to connect two monitors. I am currently connecting two Samsung 22" monitors, one with VGA and another with HDMI port. The setup is working beautifully.

And also would need to mention the heating on the front left side. My left palm really starts feeling the heat if I am working for more than 30-40 minutes. Using a laptop cooler mostly takes care of this problem. I had a laptop cooler sitting in my home and I have ordered another for my workplace.

There are some other small issues that might be fixed with some effort when I get around to them. e.g. Skype crashes as soon as I try to use video; replacing "little Snitch" would need some involvement; also need to figure out best replacement for "Time Machine".

Overall I want to give a huge thumbs up to System76 and wish them well. I hope they keep up the good work.

Beans

Re: Moving to Gazelle Professional from a MacBook Pro

Hey, how are you getting along with your Gazelle?

I too have moved from Mac(mostly, still need to replace the iMac) My wife (the designer) will agree with you on the differences between track pads. . . we just ordered a Wacom tablet, this track pad is NOT cutting it for design work.

BUT, other then a few bumps in the road with hardware, we are loving the Gazelle. I decided to put the i7 to work and tried encoding a DVD with Handbrake the other day, 1:45 in just 20 minutes! My iMac takes almost an hour to do that!

Did you find a replacement for Time Machine? I have been using Back In Time, but only backing up the home folder. It fails every time if I try to "clone" the who disk (back up /) like Time Machine does. This just might be my undersized backup disk. (need to buy another)

I agree about the heat, just going to make a post looking for better fan control.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyfamous View Post
    Hey, how are you getting along with your Gazelle?

I too have moved from Mac(mostly, still need to replace the iMac) My wife (the designer) will agree with you on the differences between track pads. . . we just ordered a Wacom tablet, this track pad is NOT cutting it for design work.

BUT, other then a few bumps in the road with hardware, we are loving the Gazelle. I decided to put the i7 to work and tried encoding a DVD with Handbrake the other day, 1:45 in just 20 minutes! My iMac takes almost an hour to do that!

Did you find a replacement for Time Machine? I have been using Back In Time, but only backing up the home folder. It fails every time if I try to "clone" the who disk (back up /) like Time Machine does. This just might be my undersized backup disk. (need to buy another)

I agree about the heat, just going to make a post looking for better fan control.
    Have you tried only backing up the /home folder? Also, you might look at Ubuntu's included backup tool, Déjà Dup.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Have you tried only backing up the /home folder? Also, you might look at Ubuntu's included backup tool, Déjà Dup.
    . . . I have been using Back In Time, but only backing up the home folder. . .

Beans

I saw that too, but you did say you were cloning / (and that's not the home folder)!

Anyway, I was using Lucky Backup, which is in the repos. It was copying all the files, but not syncing, in the sense of deleting the files that I had deleted since the last backup. I'll check out Deja Dup.