Thread: ISO downloaded - kernel version ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ISO downloaded - kernel version ?

I've downloaded a lot of different versions of Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu in the past and have a number of ISO files stored on my PC.
    Is there any way of finding out the kernel version without having to burn/run a live CD for each of the ISOs or is there a program that can quickly find out this information for me ?
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather

Beans

Re: ISO downloaded - kernel version ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kevbert View Post
    I've downloaded a lot of different versions of Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu in the past and have a number of ISO files stored on my PC.
    Is there any way of finding out the kernel version without having to burn/run a live CD for each of the ISOs or is there a program that can quickly find out this information for me ?
    Goto http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntu, scroll down to Packages, look under linux. Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic has a 2.6.31 kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks for the replies, but I've obviously not made it clear on what I'm after. I already have these ISO files on a separate partition on one of my hard drives. The ISO files have names such as 'ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso'. In the case of this file the ISO is actually 2.6.28.11 and not the latest 2.6.28.17. I'm after a way of extracting this information from the ISO file without having to install or burn a live CD.
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather