Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: GNObuntu ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GNObuntu ?

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    will we be able to upgrade to gnomebuntu from classic? I ask because once I had gnome-shell remix and it wasn't upgradeable I think it is now but not sure
    Well, this is a test forum for the latest development usually has oops and breaks. So we run multiple partitions and install frequently - everything's backed up.

Testing purposes we do want to see how install will go, and it is a ripe field for bugs. Right now with gnome remix on this netbook Ubiquity install crashes when I select the install partition.

Past experience and many posts people will do an upgrade, especially at Alpha Beta time, may crash and they are stuck without a back up. I've tried upgrade to see if it works - sometimes - and always takes more disk space than a fresh install.

Now I learn a lot of linux testing new unstable development code.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In regards to the 'pure gnome experience' discussion, I do have to agree that it would be kind of irrelevant to provide all the effort, if in the long run, we do not end up with the real thing. KDE, LXDE, XFCE all beneficiate of such a privilege, which was most probably attributed later on in the dev cycle, but we must not let this project become a half-baked attempt at what a lot of fervent users were waiting for.

Can we argue with Canonical on how to fork the packaging tree for gnome and have the true default 'vanilla' be built and hosted for this? If the aim is to become an official spin-off, the attempt is worthwhile IMHO.

Who's with me on this?

Great work on the alpha btw!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher2 View Post
    Who's with me on this?

Yeah, seconded. Said alpha is currently working without a hitch on one of my testing partitions.

Beans
    Distro

In regards to the 'pure gnome experience' discussion, I do have to agree that it would be kind of irrelevant to provide all the effort, if in the long run, we do not end up with the real thing. KDE, LXDE, XFCE all beneficiate of such a privilege, which was most probably attributed later on in the dev cycle, but we must not let this project become a half-baked attempt at what a lot of fervent users were waiting for.

Can we argue with Canonical on how to fork the packaging tree for gnome and have the true default 'vanilla' be built and hosted for this? If the aim is to become an official spin-off, the attempt is worthwhile IMHO.

Who's with me on this?

In general I like your idea, I said it myself earlier, and as a long term solution I'm with you, but Jeremy has a strong point going for the official privileges, and that's the nr.1 goal for now (yours could be second).

I have thought about the second best solution to this dilemma.
    I think that would be to have a "stable ppa" for the “Ubuntu GNOME” team , that would include the latest stable version of Gnome, the missing Gnome-parts from Ubuntu to make stable Gnome 3.6, 3.8..... maintained by the "Ubuntu Gnome" team, or use the “GNOME3 Team” ppa if that's better.
    This ppa should be available in package-kit / software-center / synaptic, but not be enabled by default.

It would give the user the possibility to choose between the official and the upstream release and we wouldn't have to rely on any testing ppa's for an upstream Gnome experience.
    Last edited by Stinger; September 4th, 2012 at 03:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Could be an idea.. for now. But still, long term would still mean getting UbuntuGSR its own repo with upstream configured packs to get the real deal. it's a must.

How could I contribute to changing some of the more visual features of the distro to unify certain things and make it more pleasurable, and maybe even inspire the canonical team to do so themselves for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

How could I contribute to changing some of the more visual features of the distro to unify certain things and make it more pleasurable, and maybe even inspire the canonical team to do so themselves for Ubuntu?
    Signing up here or here ?

Beans
    Distro

Er guys: Bad news for those who want the original Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix.

This is a reply from Jan Hoffman, the developer of Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix, after I sent an email asking to help her in the Remix.

Code:
    Hi Howard!

Thank you for your offer to help.As there will be an official Ubuntu GNOME edition from 12.10 on, you should probably help with that project: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ReleaseNotes
      Development of Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix as it is now will stop in the near future.

Regards,
    Jan
    Er so....
    As the Ubuntu Studio release manager and a Kubuntu developer, I do a lot of ISO testing and packaging.
    Make Ubuntu 13.10 awesome~!

Beans
    Distro

I think we should stick with the default GNOME wallpaper or something very close to it (Fedora 15's variation on it wasn't bad). I would like to see a plymouth theme that matches. We can also customize the grub background and the isolinux background (what you see when booting the live image from DVD or USB).

I think we'll distribute it as part of the ubuntu-gnome-settings source package. You can look at what the other Ubuntu derivatives have done to get an idea of how that works. Once you've got some stuff to submit, you can open a bug report and we'll take a look at it. Or we can discuss it on the mailing list.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    I think we should stick with the default GNOME wallpaper or something very close to it (Fedora 15's variation on it wasn't bad). I would like to see a plymouth theme that matches. We can also customize the grub background and the isolinux background (what you see when booting the live image from DVD or USB).

I think we'll distribute it as part of the ubuntu-gnome-settings source package. You can look at what the other Ubuntu derivatives have done to get an idea of how that works. Once you've got some stuff to submit, you can open a bug report and we'll take a look at it. Or we can discuss it on the mailing list.
    I agree too: GNOME designers are doing a great work at making a nice-looking desktop. There is no reason to change anything inside the desktop and GDM. The only parts that do need changing, however, are grub and plymouth. But, even for them, the artwork should be based on upstream artwork.

Beans

how can we use the gnome extensions?
    https://extensions.gnome.org/

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast