Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NWN Diamond dvd working in 12.10 yey! 64bit movies to

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

NWN 1 Diamond Edition (DVD) Movies 12.10 64bit/32bit, Ubuntu, Guide, fixes/tweaks

Special thanks to Hipmaestro (I copied and pasted a lot from his post), Skildron ( I used many of his answers to other people's threads in other forums), Wolfram (wrote original guide), me (lol, I tried to make it more "copy and paste", many of these fixes were from my trial and error), and several people on the internet.

Some things in this guide are for 64bit (ia-32-libs) but this guide works for 32bit as well, also some tweaks and settings may work for a wine install and the good old games version. Movies are working in 64bit! See below at bottom!

Also Kingmaker will not work because the one on the disk needs to authenticate on biowares website, that is no longer hosting for Neverwinter Nights, so I skipped those instructions but will update this guide if I find a way.

For some trouble shooting after installation check the bottom of this post under "Other Tweaks that helped me improve performance".

To install Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition (assuming DVDs automatically mount at /media/cdrom):

1. Install some dependencies that are needed.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian libsdl-sound1.2 libsdl-mixer1.2 libsdl-net1.2 libsdl-image1.2 libstdc++5 libx11-dev ia32-libs ia32-libs-multiarch

2. Create a directory where you wish to install Neverwinter Nights (the destination directory). Neverwinter Nights Diamond requires 4.6 GB of free hard disk space.

Code:
    mkdir nwn

cd nwn

3. Unzip Data_Shared.zip from Diamond DVD into the destination directory. Unzip Data_linux.zip from Diamond DVD into the destination directory.

Code:
    unzip /media/cdrom/Data_Shared.zip

unzip /media/cdrom/Data_linux.zip

4. Unzip data/XP1.zip from Diamond DVD into the destination directory (overwriting all). Unzip data/XP2.zip from Diamond DVD into the destination directory (overwriting all).

Code:
    unzip -o /media/cdrom/data/XP1.zip

unzip -o /media/cdrom/data/XP2.zip

5. Download nwclientgold.tar.gz (7.2 MB) and extract it into the destination directory (overwriting all).

Code:
    wget http://nwdownloads.bioware.com/neverwinternights/linux/gold/nwclientgold.tar.gz

tar -xzf ~/nwclientgold.tar.gz

6. Download nwclienthotu.tar.gz (37.7 MB) and extract it into your nwn directory, overwriting all.

Code:
    wget http://nwdownloads.bioware.com/neverwinternights/linux/161/nwclienthotu.tar.gz

tar -xzf ~/nwclienthotu.tar.gz

7. Update to latest version (506 MB).

Code:
    wget http://na.llnet.bioware.cdn.ea.com/u/f/eagames/bioware/neverwinternights/updates/linux/169/English_linuxclient169_xp2.tar.gz

tar -xzf ~/English_linuxclient169_xp2.tar.gz

8.[Optional] Get the C.E.P. (Community Expansion Pack 2.4, required for many modules made by players)

Code:
    wget http://vnfiles.ign.com/nwvault.ign.com/fms/files/hakpaks/7849/CEP_24_a.rar

The cep has instructions on how to install it here (pdf):

Code:
    wget http://vnfiles.ign.com/nwvault.ign.com/fms/files/hakpaks/7849/Downloading_and_Installing_CEP.pdf

9. Run ./fixinstall from the destination directory.

Code:
    ./fixinstall

[10. To run Neverwinter Nights, run ./nwn or ./dmclient from the destination directory to run the player client or DM client respectively.

Code:
    ./nwn

11. If you get this message:

"nwmain: ../../src/xcb_lock.c:77: _XGetXCBBuffer: Assertion `((int) ((xcb_req) - (dpy->request)) >= 0)' failed.
    Aborted"

- - Remove ./lib from LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Code:
    sed -i~ 's|\./lib:||' nwn

NWMovies puts the movies back into the Linux client just like they are on the Windows clients.

1. Install NWMovies v4.0 RC1.

Code:
    wget http://home.roadrunner.com/~nwmovies/nwmovies/nwmovies-latest.tar.gz

tar -xzvf nwmovies-latest.tar.gz

2. Install the Bink Video command line Player for x86 GNU/Linux.

Code:
    wget http://www.radgametools.com/down/Bink/BinkLinuxPlayer.7z

unzip BinkLinuxPlayer.7z

sudo chmod 755 BinkPlayer

3. Modify the 'nwn' startup script.

Code:
    sed -i~nwmovies '\|\./nwmain|iexport LD_PRELOAD=./nwmovies.so' nwn

4. Optionally enable Screen Flickering at movie beginning/end fix:

Code:
    sed -i '\|nwmovies|aexport NWMOVIES_GRAB_HACK=1' nwn

5. Run NWN.

Code:
    ./nwn

6. You get this message:

"NOTICE: NWMovies: INI File written: Now exiting. This is perfectly normal!
    NOTICE: Your next run of NWN should be complete, and include movies."

- - Run NWN a second time.

Code:
    ./nwn

Other Tweaks that helped me improve performance

1. Neverwinter Nights is not multithreaded so dual cores and hyperthreaded processors may cause performance issues as it does for many people. Also access to more memory will help shuddering as well

Solution:
    Open your file manager and open the "nwn" folder. Right click "nwnplayer.ini" and select your text editor (mine is leafpad). Copy the text below and paste it under the [Game Options] section.

Client CPU Affinity=1

Max Memory Usage=512 (or anywhere up to 4096 mb, depending on your ram)

2. Enabling better graphics capabilities that are not always available within the game menu's.

Solution:
    Open your file manager and open the "nwn" folder. Right click "nwn.ini" and select your text editor (mine is leafpad). Then choose options you want to enable.

example:(ATI cards only)

Replace the line "Enable Truform=0" under [Video Options] with "Enable Truform=1"to enable a more round appearance on round objects, if that line isn't there then just copy and paste "Enable Truform=1" without the quotes.

3. Possible permissions issues

Solution:
    Highlight all the files in nwn folder, not the folders and right click, select permissions tab and set all option to anyone. Do this in all folders inside nwn folder. For some reason if you right click the folder(s) and go under permissions tab the option to make executable isn't there, and it will set all files to non-exacutable. So you will need to do all files inside the folder, and not the folder. Symlinks will give an error that is normal.

4. Help I cant see my character

Solution:
    Disable Creature environment mapping in "options->video options>advanced video options" in game or change "Enable CreatureEnvironmentMapping=1" to "Enable CreatureEnvironmentMapping=0" in the nwn.ini file inside you nwn folder. I don't have this issue but some people do

5. Missing gui layout file error

Solution:
    The data files off the disk were not fully copied, you will need to redo step 4 of installing nwn

6. Other sound options

Optionally if sound isn't working you can try to enter either of these lines in your nwn file inside you nwn folder.

export SDL_AUDIODRIVERS=alsa

export SDL_AUDIODRIVERS=pulse

Movies in 64bit!

1. You need to make sure you have the appropriate 32bit libs then try to symlink them in the nwn folder (see below if there is an error)

Code:
    cd /home/user_name/nwn

ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 libX11.so. (32bit will have to search where the file libX11.so.6 is at)

ln -s /usr/lib32/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL_gfx.so libSDL_gfx.so (32bit will have to search where the file libSDL_gfx.so is at)

2. Now you need to edit your nwn.ini.

Open your file manager and open the folder nwn, then right click the nwn.ini folder and pick your text editor. Under [Display Options] change the line "FullScreen=0" to "FullScreen=1" or add the line "FullScreen=1" if the option isn't there. Also add the line "AllowWindowedMode=0"

3. Now you need to edit your nwmovies.pl

Open your file manager and open the folder nwn and then nwmovies. Right click nwmovies.pl and pick you text editor. you will need to put a "#" symbol infront of the lines $ENV{"BINK_SCALE"} = 1;, $ENV{"BINK_SMOOTH"} = 1;, and $ENV{"BINK_NOPERF"} = 1; so they look like this

#$ENV{"BINK_SCALE"} = 1;
    #$ENV{"BINK_SMOOTH"} = 1;
    #$ENV{"BINK_NOPERF"} = 1;

and add these lines if you are using a resolution of 1024x768 in game and computer so the movies will be at same resolution.

#$ENV{"BINK_WIDTH"} = $1024;
    #$ENV{"BINK_HEIGHT"} = $768;

4. You need to make sure that "binklib.so" is in your nwmovies folder.

Open your file manager and go to your nwn folder, then open your nwnmovies folder and make sure it is in there. If it isn't then you will need to download BinkLinuxPlayer.7z, decompress it and copy the file binklib.so to your /nwn/nwmovies folder.

5. If there was an error when trying to symlink the libSDL_gfx.so file then you need to download getlibs-all (64bit only, not in repository)

Code:
    wget http://usablesoftware.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/getlibs-all-deb.pdf

Then delete the .pdf extension, it isnt a pdf, that is because wordpress didn't allow the .deb extension. Right click the resulting .deb file and install. Then you will need to install the libSDL_gfx.so file

Code:
    getlibs -l libSDL_gfx.so

That will install the appropriate file and then you may symlink it. If it complains of permissions use sudo.
    Last edited by vanquishedangel; November 13th, 2012 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Always adding more info and correcting text, til I get bored lol

Beans
    Distro

Re: NWN Diamond dvd working in 12.10 yey! 64bit movies to

My system specs are:

Computer: hpdc5750
    Operating System: Lubuntu 12.10 64bit
    Processor: amd 4800+ 2.5ghz dual core processor
    Memmory: 8gigs ram
    Graphics card: Saffire ATI Radeon HD 6450, 1gig vram (Overclocked with amdoverdrivectl)

All software I have is from the repositories already in ubuntu except amdoverdrivectl and getlibs-all, my graphics drivers are proprietary ones from the repositories.
    Last edited by vanquishedangel; November 13th, 2012 at 08:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I also have Kingmaker, Witches Wake, Infinite dungeons, Wyvern crown, Pirates of the Sword Coast, and Shadow Guard working. I also have aurora toolset and nwhak.exe working from my nwn directory, it was rather easy, I copied the utils folder to my native nwn, and I copied nwtoolset.exe and Mss32.dll.

To download load the files for linux here:

Kingmaker:

wget http://content.bioware.com/neverwinternights/modules_premium/Kingmaker.zip

Witches Wake and Shadow Guard:

wget http://content.bioware.com/neverwinternights/modules_premium/ShadowGuardPlusWitchsWake.zip

Infinite dungeons:

wget http://bioware.vo.llnwd.net/o1/neverwinternights/modules_premium/InfiniteDungeons.zip

Wyvern crown:

wget http://bioware.vo.llnwd.net/o1/neverwinternights/modules_premium/WyvernCrown.zip

Pirates of the Sword Coast:

wget http://content.bioware.com/neverwinternights/modules_premium/PiratesOfTheSwordCoast.zip

And to install these you would do it the same as you would a module from the community. I have purchased these modules before so they may not work if you have bad cd keys and that I cannot help you with.

Aurora Toolset and nwhak.exe

I did this by installing nwn into wine (playonlinux) and then just coping the utils folder, nwtoolset.exe and Mss32.dll over to my nwn directory, then deleted the wine install of nwn (playonlinux).

to run them navigate to your nwn folder, right click the exe and choose wine.

I did not copy mwtoolset.ini from wine, I just used the one that was in my nwn folder.

Hardware Mouse

For hardware mouse instead of software mouse:

wget http://home.roadrunner.com/~nwmovies/nwmouse/nwmouse-latest.tar.gz

And follow the included instructions (may have errors)

Updated textures and many good extras

For better graphics and many extras go here: (It wont place the link XD)

http://social,bioware,com/forum/1/topic/199/index/3275241 (replace comma's with a [.]).
    Last edited by vanquishedangel; December 5th, 2012 at 03:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Talking Re: NWN Diamond dvd working in 12.10 yey! 64bit movies to

Fantastic! I had bought Infinite Dungeons back in 2008, and lost everything in a HD crash. It was (apparently) unavailable, until I saw your post. THANK YOU!

PS: Tried all the Premium modules, and they all work after taking a few seconds to "validate." Apparently, if you have a legit copy of Neverwinter Nights (and these days, who doesn't?), the modules validate just fine.

Between the Premium Modules' availability and this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2084592

it's a Red Letter Day for Ubuntu users!
    Last edited by oldrocker99; November 30th, 2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Happiness

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro

J
    Last edited by vanquishedangel; December 5th, 2012 at 03:52 AM. Reason: more info

Beans

If someone could tell me how to get this game to work from gog I'd be happy
    Oh yeah I have 12.04

Beans
    Distro

j
    Last edited by vanquishedangel; December 5th, 2012 at 03:58 AM. Reason: added it to previous post

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: NWN 1 Diamond Edition (DVD) Movies 12.10 64bit/32bit, Ubuntu, Guide, fixes/tweaks

Quote Originally Posted by vanquishedangel View Post
    5. Download nwclientgold.tar.gz (7.2 MB) and extract it into the destination directory (overwriting all).

Code:
    wget http://nwdownloads.bioware.com/never...entgold.tar.gz

tar -xzf ~/nwclientgold.tar.gz

I am getting
    Code:
    paridoth@sony-ubuntu:~/nwn$ tar -xzf ~/nwclientgold.tar.gz
    tar: nwn: Cannot open: File exists
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
    it looks like all the files extracted except nwn.

Beans
    Distro

Re: NWN 1 Diamond Edition (DVD) Movies 12.10 64bit/32bit, Ubuntu, Guide, fixes/tweaks

Quote Originally Posted by paridoth View Post
    I am getting
    Code:
    paridoth@sony-ubuntu:~/nwn$ tar -xzf ~/nwclientgold.tar.gz
    tar: nwn: Cannot open: File exists
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
    it looks like all the files extracted except nwn.
    That is certainly weird, are you in the folder you created in step 2?

cd /home/USER_NAME/nwn

Also you can extract nwclientgold.tar.gz by right clicking and selecting "extract to" and choose the nwn folder you created in step 2. (if the nwn file is already in the nwn folder you may not need to worry, just overwrite it when asked or continue on)

Also you may need to install unshield from synaptic

I haven't seen this error at all so I am not sure what caused it, could be that files were extracted in the wrong order, or your terminal is in your home directory and not in your nwn directory. Also you may need to set permissions on the files in the nwn folder (permissions can cause alot of issues for the native install of nwn, right click the nwn file, select properties, go to permissions tab, set all to anyone).

maybe need to try to redownload it, file could have corrupted.
    Last edited by vanquishedangel; December 6th, 2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by vanquishedangel View Post
    That is certainly weird, are you in the folder you created in step 2?

cd /home/USER_NAME/nwn

Also you can extract nwclientgold.tar.gz by right clicking and selecting "extract to" and choose the nwn folder you created in step 2. (if the nwn file is already in the nwn folder you may not need to worry, just overwrite it when asked or continue on)

Also you may need to install unshield from synaptic

I haven't seen this error at all so I am not sure what caused it, could be that files were extracted in the wrong order, or your terminal is in your home directory and not in your nwn directory. Also you may need to set permissions on the files in the nwn folder (permissions can cause alot of issues for the native install of nwn, right click the nwn file, select properties, go to permissions tab, set all to anyone).
    i think i figured it out, i extracted the iso's to a folder in the nwn folder called nwn so when i was extracting to the nwn folder it was trying to create a folder i had already created for the contents of the iso, ill retry from the begining with a diff folder for my iso contents.
    edit:
    Ok i redid everything and it seemed to be all be going well then this hapened.
    Code:
    paridoth@sony-ubuntu:~/nwn$ ./fixinstall
    Checking for required files

PASSED: ambient directory exists
    PASSED: data directory exists
    PASSED: music directory exists
    PASSED: override directory exists
    PASSED: miles directory exists
    PASSED: nwm directory exists
    PASSED: chitin.key exists
    PASSED: dialog.tlk exists
    PASSED: nwmain exists

Fixing case

ambient
    ............................................................................................................
    data
    dmvault
    hak
    localvault
    music
    ................................................................................
    override

Checking for problem files

Checking for permissions

PASSED: nwn.ini is writable
    PASSED: nwnplayer.ini is writable
    PASSED: nwncdkey.ini is writable
    PASSED: saves is writable
    PASSED: localvault is writable
    PASSED: tempclient is writable
    PASSED: dmvault is writable
    PASSED: /home/paridoth/nwn is writable

You are ready to run Neverwinter Nights.

paridoth@sony-ubuntu:~/nwn$ ./nwn
    Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
    Last edited by paridoth; December 6th, 2012 at 08:45 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast