Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix On Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Netflix On Ubuntu

My experience so far:

1. Installation from PPA was smooth, after purging vanila Wine and Crossover. It complained about Wine 1.4 when I tried to run winecfg, but I didn't install it. However I did install Mono as requested. Worked out of the box!!!
    2. Performance is great, with no stuttering. Video quality is good. I had the impression I was getting lower quality, but tested an HD movie and it was okay.
    3. Temperature while watching an HD movie is 60-65º Celsius, which is lower than running Netflix on a VM with XP.
    4. I am running Ubuntu 12.10 64bit with Gnome-Shell instead of Unity. My Notebook is an Asus A43E with an i5 CPU, 6GB of RAM and Intel HD 3000 graphics.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by dniMretsaM View Post
    I installed it on my 64-bit machine with no issues. I'm wondering if you have to install a version of WINE once or it won't work (even if vanilla WINE isn't installed when running Netflix). I think I'll send Erich an email about it when I get home.
    I had wine installed previously, and removed it before doing this, so there might be something to it.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

On both my machines installation failed because there were no Window directories into which to install Firefox. Simple as that. I had to install Wine 1.4 in order to create the Windows directory structure.

Beans
    Distro

So that helps confirm it then. Interestingly purging wine might actually make more trouble, since it'd remove those structures, wouldn't it?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by weasel fierce View Post
    So that helps confirm it then. Interestingly purging wine might actually make more trouble, since it'd remove those structures, wouldn't it?
    considering several people did purge and then installed ok then how could that come into play here?
    I also removed my .wine home directory.
    I was also able to run winecfg after the wine purge and new wine install.

Beans
    Distro

If in doubt, I blame Gnomes

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    I was also able to run winecfg after the wine purge and new wine install.
    OK, then you didn't uninstall wine. (?) According to apt-get, you couldn't have run winecfg without wine 1.4. Winecfg (again, according to apt-get) depends on wine 1.4. I'm wondering if some of you folks actually did what you think you did when you "purged" wine? Something doesn't add up.

Edit:
    Oh, scratch that. As you say, you re-installed wine. So how is what you did any different that what I did?
    Last edited by neu5eeCh; November 19th, 2012 at 12:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

On the 12.10 netbook, that was a fresh install. It can't run winecfg, but everything works. (aside from it being slow on netflix)

I have never installed wine on that netbook (aside from the wine-compholio+ package)
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I did some additional tests.

- purged netflix and wine

- installed Wine 1.4, Crossover and Playonlinux

- Installed Firefox 16 and Silverlight on Wine 1.4, Crossover and Playonlinux

- Installed wine-compholio+ and netflix-desktop

- Only netflix-desktop works as expected with Netflix. Wine 1.4, Crossover and Playonlinux still work independently, but freeze when viewing Netflix.

Updated Firefox 14 to 16 from netflix-desktop and it stopped working. Removed, deleted the config folder and reinstalled netflix-desktop to make it work again.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    OK, then you didn't uninstall wine. (?) According to apt-get, you couldn't have run winecfg without wine 1.4. Winecfg (again, according to apt-get) depends on wine 1.4. I'm wondering if some of you folks actually did what you think you did when you "purged" wine? Something doesn't add up.

Edit:
    Oh, scratch that. As you say, you re-installed wine. So how is what you did any different that what I did?
    The way I purged was using synaptic.
    I searched for 'wine'
    then right clicked the wine files and selected remove entirely with configuration

Of course afterwards, I installed the new patched wine from that repository for netflix.
    Afterwards I ran winecfg and it ran.

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast