Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Windows XP RAM limitation

The 4GB limit for 32-bit also includes VRAM of your video card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

http://www.geoffchappell.com/notes/w...nse/memory.htm

PAE is already enabled by default because they use it for their DEP algorithms. Logically any driver coded to understand PAE addressing should be good with it, regardless of how much memory is actually present, while drivers that are incompatible with it will be incompatible even if only a lesser amount of memory is being used. Plus drivers that need to touch the memory directly are generally the kinds of drivers that both Microsoft and the hardware manufacturer test thoroughly. Plus they support >4Gb on Windows 2000. Which is older than XP. Disabling use of > 4Gb by default for paranoia reasons so that the average user's system will just work out of the box I could understand. Locking it out so that nobody can use it, even at their own risk, is fairly obviously a contrivance to sell 64-bit versions of their operating systems. Especially when they phrase things to make it sound like a 32-bit limitation and not a Windows limitation.
    bIlujlaHbe'chugh, bIQaplaHbe' --tlhIngan vIttlhegh.

Was my answer helpful? A few bitcents to help a starving IT professional would be appreciated! 1CBzQFjyp5xKoRYRZog6VPgR75oCP6T2AJ

Beans

In looking at a 64-bit Windows install, you may find 98% of the programs are actually 32-bit. Even core system stuff like IE will run as 32-bit by default.

It will be many years before they really transition over, and even then it will probably only be forced by MS releasing a 64-bit only OS.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've been running 64-bit linux for years now and there are no issues.
    I planned to go 64-bit with Ubuntu 12.04. Can you tell me whether a 64-bit distro can run 'virtualboxed' 32-bit XP ?
    The last and only time I tried 64-bit is 9.04 (I think), Truecrypt didn't even open my truecrypt volume.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Theoretically, as long as the processor supports the operating system you're trying to install as a guest, it should work just fine to install a 32 bit guest inside a 64 bit OS. It doesn't work the other way around though.

Was my answer helpful? A few bitcents to help a starving IT professional would be appreciated! 1CBzQFjyp5xKoRYRZog6VPgR75oCP6T2AJ

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Perkins View Post
    Theoretically, as long as the processor supports the operating system you're trying to install as a guest, it should work just fine to install a 32 bit guest inside a 64 bit OS. It doesn't work the other way around though.
    Installing a 64-bit guest on a 32-bit host only works if you have hardware virtualization enabled in the BIOS and your CPU supports it.

I've never tested it personally because I only run 64-bit OSes.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a 64 bit processor with hardware virtualization running a 32 bit os, and virtualbox at least won't boot a 64 bit kernel in it. Of course, I'm a few versions back on virtualbox, so that could have been updated.

Some other VM program might do it though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12