Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual boot on 128gig possible?

Beans

Dual boot on 128gig possible?

Hi All,

Just wondering if I can have both win 7 (64) and ubuntu on a 128 gig SSD and if so whats the best way to do it?

Cheers,
    Liam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Dual boot on 128gig possible?

This is absolutely possible, and should be pretty simple.

All you have to do is make a new partition for Ubuntu.

If windows 7 is currently installed and is taking up all 128GB of space you can shrink this using the built in tool in windows 7. You can choose how much space you want to devote to the Ubuntu installation.

For example if this is a fresh install of Windows 7 you should be able to get anywhere from 60-80GB out of the 128GB for the Ubuntu installation.

After you shrink the drive. You can reboot with either the Live DVD or a USB stick and Ubuntu will automatically recognize the free space and install side by side with Windows 7.

After you let it install, you should be able to dual boot when you reboot. Each time you reboot you will be given a choice of which partition you want to boot from.

Just an FYI if this is a completely empty drive, make sure you install Windows 7 BEFORE installing Ubuntu, from past experience installing Windows on top of Linux always messes things up.

Let me know if you need more detail on how to perform these specific tasks, but it should be straight forward. Just make sure you back up all of your data before you begin!
    Best,
    Lev

[Personal Blog]

Beans

Lev, hit it on the head...Don't forget a Logical partition for swap space... I also installing Home folder on separate partitions

Beans

I have a dual-boot MacOS/Ubuntu laptop running on a 60G drive, but things are tight. Some of the answer depends on how many extra apps you install under Windows, but 50%:50% arrangements are possible, or even 60% (Windows) : 40% (Ubuntu).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

128gb sounds like a ssd, don't put swap on a ssd
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    128gb sounds like a ssd, don't put swap on a ssd
    Good point if its solid state. Thats a question to ask..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

OP said it was a 128GB SSD.

I just did this same thing on a Win7 Dell, not SSD but the new 12.10 Installer is a breeze for dual booting.
    Best,
    Lev

[Personal Blog]

Beans

thanks heaps for ur prompt responses guys. Was just trying to decide if I want to buy a new laptop. think I will. Any comments on the pros cons of running ubuntu inside windows as a virtual machine vs dual booting?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by levlaz View Post
    OP said it was a 128GB SSD.

I just did this same thing on a Win7 Dell, not SSD but the new 12.10 Installer is a breeze for dual booting.
    Even 12.04 made dual booting a breeze. I haven't tried it on a SSD, so I wouldn't know the logistics of it.

On a normal drive it is easy peasy!

Quote Originally Posted by shimbalama View Post
    thanks heaps for ur prompt responses guys. Was just trying to decide if I want to buy a new laptop. think I will. Any comments on the pros cons of running ubuntu inside windows as a virtual machine vs dual booting?
    For me, I prefer to just dual boot or only run Ubuntu. I know many people who run it inside a Virtual Machine, which would get rid of any difficulties of partioning. Plus, you're still running Windows for any programs that you can't run through WINE.

I know my brother runs Ubuntu in a virtual machine on top of Windows 7 for any development he needs to do, and to make testing any applications a breeze. I find it overwhelming to be running both, and since I rarely use any programs I can't run natively on Linux or through WINE, I just use Ubuntu or some other flavor of Linux.
    Last edited by SparkyPrawn; December 11th, 2012 at 04:37 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by shimbalama View Post

a few are layed out here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/virtualbox

also virtual ubuntu has no 3D (or at least not porpper one) i believe.

depends why you need it for. if oyu need a fast boot OS on your disk then dual boot is better if you want to just browse internet do some testing then vbox is better.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast