Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rEFIt dual boot stall

Beans

Unhappy rEFIt dual boot stall

Hello, new here. So, I am not a huge fan of mac, but unfortunately at my school we have to have them. So, I decided to dual boot ubuntu. Now, I burned an image of it onto a dvd after installing rEFIt. I also created a partition for it, trying several different formats. So, what happens is, I put the disk in, restart my computer, see the linux icon, press enter on the linux icon. Then it just goes to a black screen with a blinking text input. that's where it stops. It doesn't do anything else (and trust me, I've waited), and it won't let me type. Just nada.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: rEFIt dual boot stall

I had the same problem, though using an USB stick, last saturday when trying to install xubuntu 12.04 amd64+mac version. Simply doesn't boot for me.
    Then I tried the normal xubuntu 12.04 amd64 version and I was able to boot and install.

I don't know which version you tried, and if this is the right way to proceed.
    But it worked for me.

Beans

Well, I'm using ubuntu 12.1 32bit. I'd really prefer to use that, not to mention I don't have any more disks to burn to.

Beans
    Distro

Ok.
    But, when it is not possible, maybe you want to try the
    amd64+mac or, when that is also not possible (in my case; neither 12.04 nor 12.10 possible), then the amd64 version.
    At least when installing in EFI mode, the version of your EFI ( >= core 2 duo should be 64bit (?) ) should match the OS, when I remember right.
    Last edited by zaebo; November 22nd, 2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Edit

Beans

Maybe I'm not getting you, but I only know of a "normal" version of ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

There is a "special" Mac version of Ubuntu 64bit.
    If I understand good, the difference of this version is, that it only runs in one boot mode, legacy I think, whereas the "normal" version offers two boot modes, to be bootable under BIOS and UEFI. The EFI of mac's seems to have a problem with that.
    (Also I have a problem with the mac version).

But should be only available for the 64bit Ubuntu.
    You can check it out here:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...tive-downloads
    under 'Other Images' and select a mirror.

Beans

Well, I'm back. I tried the 64amd+mac precise pangolin, and that didn't work. That and I've already tried the "normal" desktop ubuntu. Before I burn my 4th 2 dollar dvd, what should I use? The alternate amd64+mac? The powerpc, though I don't think this laptop is powerpc? No matter, here's my system if that helps.

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    4GB 1600 MHZ DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
    OS X 10.8.2

and, again, I'm using rEFIt.

Beans

Actually, a quick thought, should I try 12.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Personally, and maybe this is heresy around these parts, but I would recommend forgoing rEFIt/rEFInd altogether. You don't need it; it's a boot manager that provides some extra features that are sometimes useful. It's not a boot loader.

The correct image for you depends on your ultimate goal. If you would like to use EFI mode, you want the regular desktop image. If you want to use BIOS mode (Boot Camp) you'll want the special Mac image. Either one, I would definitely recommend the 64-bit (amd64, even on an intel processor) version.

If none of the above really makes sense:

- Get the special Mac version: http://releases.ubuntu.com/quantal/u...-amd64+mac.iso

- Remove rEFIt from your Mac

- Burn the image to a DVD

- Reboot with the disc in, hold option when you hear the chime, then select the "Windows" disc

- Install Ubuntu as normal

I would definitely recommend using 12.10; the included 3.5 kernel includes some modules that make initial setup much easier. I'm using 12.10 on my MacBook Pro 8,2 and I've had no problems.

Beans

Okay, forwent the rEFIt with one of my old disks (haven't tried one you sent me yet) and I got the same black screen with blinking cursor. Do I need some BIOS thing in my drive similar to how there's an efi folder in the drive for rEFIt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast