Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a version of Vuze for ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Is there a version of Vuze for ubuntu?

Please see my questions below.

Thank you
    Last edited by Melita; February 20th, 2013 at 01:20 AM. Reason: change message

Beans

The version of Vuze available in these links is quite old. I have found and downloaded two applications directly from the Internet.

1. Vuze (bit torrent client), latest version for linux. I have to run a script from the Vuze download. Could you please tell me the steps to run the script, after I open the file? I am unable to find a "run" command for the file.

2. Java latest version from Oracle America. This is sitting in my "downloads" folder. What steps do I take, to install this?

I am very new to Ubuntu. Please give step by step instructions.

Thank you.

Beans

You are moving into deeper waters now, is the repository version not suitable for your needs?
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    You are moving into deeper waters now, is the repository version not suitable for your needs?
    No, the older version is not suitable. It does not have the advanced features of the new version. I got it from a legitimate link provided by Vuze.

What I need to know is, how to run a script and how to install a programme in Ubuntu, when the files are downloaded from the internet directly, as opposed to installing from a repository. Surely this must be a possibility in Ubuntu or am I wrong to assume this? As you probably know, these commands are automatically opened for us to choose from in MS Windows, when a down load is completed - just a click or two of the mouse.

I have used all versions of windows and presently I am using Widows 7 in one computer. I have installed only Ubuntu in my new computer. I like ubuntu and I like to retain it as my primary OS. Further, in future too, I should be downloading more of my preferred applications from the internet for Ubuntu, when they are not available in the repository. That is why I need some help here.

Regards.
    Last edited by Melita; February 20th, 2013 at 02:41 AM. Reason: correction

Beans

Use getdeb for the lastest version.

http://www.getdeb.net/updates/Ubuntu/12.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sersang View Post
    Use getdeb for the lastest version.

http://www.getdeb.net/updates/Ubuntu/12.04
    This is great help. This appears to be the best way and this is the latest version of Vuze! Just the one problem remains. I have to install Java, which is already downloaded and waiting to be installed. How do I do that? Otherwise Vuze will not work. I hope you can help me with that.

OS is Ubuntu 12.04

Thank you.
    Last edited by Melita; February 20th, 2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: add content

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Forget about using the download from Oracles site to install Java, you should use a PPA instead as this way Java will be automatically updated along with the rest of your system.

This is very important with the number and frequency of Java exploits discovered recently.

To add the PPA to your system and install Java just use the following commands...
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
    Cheesemill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12