Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Linksys ACX111 chipset (wpc54g v2) via ndiswrapper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Linksys AXC111 chipset (wpc54g v2) via ndiswrapper

Quote Originally Posted by Agent86 View Post
    I'm using a ACX111-based Netgear WG311v2 card in Dapper. I found that ndiswrapper is unnecessary UNLESS you are using WPA encryption.

Out of the box, Dapper detects the ACX card and loads the native Linux driver. However, you may need to edit a couple of files to get it to work.

This post tells you how to edit your /etc/network/interfaces file. However, if you still can't see your access point after doing a scan, you may need to change the firmware version that Ubuntu loads (it may not be compatible with your particular card).

This post tells you how to change the firmware version that Ubuntu loads.
    Just a quick note of caution on this. I tried to use the above links to get my Linksys ACX111 card working (the lights are on, but nobodys home it seems) and it caused me not to be able to load my desktop after reboot. It just hangs after you hit login.

Anyway, its easy enough to fix if you're familiar with a cl-based text editor such as vim. Just login to the failsafe session and remove the entries that are marked in the above solutions.

I'm sure that there are many people who found the above solution useful, but in my case it was touch and go for a few moments and I hope this little note saves someone some frustration.
    Rafe Magnuson (aka HeavyAl)
    http://www.magnusontech.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

So, this card isn't going to be working in Ubuntu anytime soon eh?
    SPECIAL ORDER 937: "NOSTROMO REROUTED TO NEW COORDINATES. INVESTIGATE LIFE FORM. GATHER SPECIMEN. PRIORITY ONE. INSURE RETURN OF ORGANISM FOR ANALYSIS. ALL OTHER CONSIDERATIONS SECONDARY. CREW EXPENDABLE."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

it will work. just give me some time. this howto was written up for breezy, and although i initially succeeded in getting it to work in dapper, i've since run into problems with it.

it would seem that ubuntu thinks this card is a usb adapter rather than a pcmcia adapter. so i am researching how linux detects usb to correct the problem.

also, your card is hanging the system because the usb driver being assigned to it will lock the pc. give me a bit more time and i'll either post here or create a new thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Awesome... if you need any assitance let me know.

Not that I have any idea what I am doing, but maybe I can try out some things for you.

Lemme know...
    SPECIAL ORDER 937: "NOSTROMO REROUTED TO NEW COORDINATES. INVESTIGATE LIFE FORM. GATHER SPECIMEN. PRIORITY ONE. INSURE RETURN OF ORGANISM FOR ANALYSIS. ALL OTHER CONSIDERATIONS SECONDARY. CREW EXPENDABLE."

Beans

All, I'm new to Linux and have been doing quite a bit of reading and this thread FINALLY helped me to get my wpc54g v2 card to at least power up and to be recognized when I run iwconfig. My problem now is that I cannot get it to associate with the access point. A scan shows that the access point is out there, but no matter what I try, I can't get it stick. Any ideas?

Here's my iwconfig readout:

iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSIDff/any
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:10 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
    RTS thr:4096 B Fragment thr:4096 B
    Encryption key:XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX Security mode:restri cted
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

sit0 no wireless extensions.

Beans
    Hidden!

These instructions worked great for me! I did not update any firmware. Thanks!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by brickferd View Post
    All, I'm new to Linux and have been doing quite a bit of reading and this thread FINALLY helped me to get my wpc54g v2 card to at least power up and to be recognized when I run iwconfig. My problem now is that I cannot get it to associate with the access point. A scan shows that the access point is out there, but no matter what I try, I can't get it stick. Any ideas?

Here's my iwconfig readout:

iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSIDff/any
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:10 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
    RTS thr:4096 B Fragment thr:4096 B
    Encryption key:XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX Security mode:restri cted
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

sit0 no wireless extensions.
    first of all, are you using dapper or breezy, because if you're using dapper, it may be that a recent upgrad has fixed the card identification issue i've been having (i haven't had time yet to dig into it).

for troubleshooting your issue, please post the results of:
    Code:
    sudo iwlist scan wlan0
    it looks like you are using encryption, so i'm not sure that i can be of much help because i really can't test it or configure it.

at this point, you may have luck configuring your network with the network gui in system > administration > network. when i was using breezy with this card, i couldn't get it to work this way because apparently the card needs a scan in order to connect to the correct network but you might have better luck in dapper.

thanks mfoerster, it's good to know i didn't go through all that for nothing ... lol.

Beans

Hey dmizer,

Thanks for the quick reply, I don't have time to run the scan and post results but I can tell you that I'm running dapper. I know the encrytption might also be a hurdle and I'm planning to turn it off and give it a shot without. I'm able to go into the gui, and see the network and tell the system to connect and make that the active connection, which it says it has done, but then I get nothing.

I'll post more later, thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    Awesome... if you need any assitance let me know.

Not that I have any idea what I am doing, but maybe I can try out some things for you.

Lemme know...
    Zodiac: here's what worked for me, try this:

go back and edit pcmcia config.opts:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
    and completely remove the line about manfid.

test that for me and see if it works. if so, i'll make the change in the howto permanent.

Beans

Talking Re: Linksys AXC111 chipset (wpc54g v2) via ndiswrapper

Just wanted to say thanks for the pointer to the cardbus/pcmcia thiny - got mine working!

kubuntu nuby

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast