Page 53 of 138 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Howto: Backup and restore your system!

Okay, this may not be the best place for this, but it seems to be related.

Here's my situation. I teach in a computer lab in an elementary school with about 26 PCs. In the past I have used Ghostcast 7.5 to reimage the computers with Windows XP. I decided that I wanted to Dual Boot and tried to reimage with that setup, but everytime I try to broadcast the image I get an error. Is there another way to do this, I really want to get Ubuntu on these computers but I don't wanna have to install and configure every computer individually.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

this is excellent.

just one question when i move the file from / to the back drive on NAS using:

sudo mv /backup.tgz /media/backup

gets message saying unable to preserve file premissions of file premission denied.

the file copies. looking at the premissions tab it changes from owner root and group root, to owner terry group nogroup.

does this mean all the folders within the backup file lost the premissions as well or is it just the backup file itself.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by herger View Post
    Hi all!
    The advice to use a tar.gz or tar.bz2 to restore your system is WRONG!!!
    And how so? I use this since 1996 and it works. You just have to do it right

I followed the instructions and obtained a 4 Gb tar.bz2 file.
    And? Modern Linux file systems have file size limits somewhere in the 2 TeraByte = 2000 Gigabyte range. A file of just 4 GB in size is no problem for Linux file systems. According to Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3#Size_limits

A filesystem with 4KB blocks (seems to be standard? All my filesystems have that according to dumpe2fs command) has a max. file size limit of 2 TB = 2000 Gigabytes and a max. file system size of 16 TB = 16'000 Gigabytes.

I am sorry to say but without further details I'd assume you did something wrong as a mere 4 GB tar file should really not be a problem whatsoever.

Beans

Hi. Yes, You could be right, but I have followed the procedure described at the beginning of the thread in each single reported step .
    Did You try to restore Your system with a 4 Gb or 2000 Gb single file?
    Can You provide any more details?
    Even in the restoring, I have follwed any word of the steps: as I told You, it didn't work.
    Also some friends of mine confirmed that it's quite hard to restore an intere filesystem with a .tgz single file (the advice is to use PartImage)....
    I would only understand where I could have make a mistake in following a procedure that doesn't appear to be so terrible....

Thanks

H

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Did You try to restore Your system with a 4 Gb or 2000 Gb single file?
    The biggest single archive file I so far had to deal with in my career with was 54 GB. But other than that: Yes, I regularly face large files, also on my laptop (HP dv2108ea, old 32-bit Intel Core Duo 1.6 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB disk). No problems whatsoever.

I would only understand where I could have make a mistake in following a procedure that doesn't appear to be so terrible....
    Well, you have to know what you do. The system can't help it if you blindly type in some commands ... chances are that the commands are not 100% right for your system and thus will not produce the results you expect. It can't harm to read the manuals, the so called "man" pages. The manual of "tar" can be accessed with this command (use cursor keys, PgUp and PgDown to navigate ... Use the "Q" key to quit!):
    Code:
    man tar
    I myself once wrote this "Backup How To" for the Linux Mint forum --- and this stuff works. And yes, it is complicated but at least this will get the system back no matter what (been there, done that, saved my job and my life ... ). BUT: as I keep repeating in that text: you really have to know what you do!

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3969

There are a few other threads where people discuss other backup + cloning (which is sort of the same thing) options:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=616707
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=675933

As I wrote earler ... doing backups via "tar" has several huge advantages:

- the tool is already there out of the box on all Linux and UNIX variants and available on many Live CD's
    - it works the same on all the many platforms
    - even Windows tools (WinZIP, WinRAR, many others) can read *.tar.gz files

In other words: With *.tar.gz files chances are very good that you will get your files back no matter what the circumstances, if you do it right, that is.

Beans

Hi, I am having trouble with this method. I recovered all my files and everything, but when I restarted, the computer froze up at the ubuntu loading screen. I can't get into the system anymore. any help is appreciated...
    Edit: Never mind. There is a solution to this problem on page 39. Search is your friend.
    Last edited by agentnixon; March 16th, 2008 at 07:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by agentnixon View Post
    Hi, I am having trouble with this method. I recovered all my files and everything, but when I restarted, the computer froze up at the ubuntu loading screen. I can't get into the system anymore. any help is appreciated...
    Edit: Never mind. There is a solution to this problem on page 39. Search is your friend.
    Let me guess: Problems with the now different UUID's? That's why I in my tutorial (see the link above to the Linux Mint forums) wrote to get rid of them and use old classic device names instead, partition UUID's really can cause complications when you restore your system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I want to change partition table of my computer and I want to use this method to backup and then restore ubuntu installation.

Will anythingl freak out after restoring since the partition table changed? My thought is grub will.

Is there a way to backup grub separately? So that this works?

Backup all; Change partition map; Install Ubuntu; backup grub; Restore all; Restore grub.

EDIT: I guess I just need to backup menu.lst and everything should be fine =D.
    Last edited by dmitrijledkov; March 21st, 2008 at 02:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edsger Wybe Dijkstra
    Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.
    Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch's sig
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
    Linux is like a wigwam.... no Gates, no Windows and Apache inside!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I didn't read this whole thread, so I don't know if this was already mentioned (51 pages)...

when you do the excludes, you could have a /* added to the end of each directory, that way the directories are recreated upon restore, and all the temp stuff inside are not. Saves a step when recreating the directories.

ex

Code:
    --exclude=/lost+found/* --exclude=/proc/* --exclude=/media/* --exclude=/dev/* --exclude=/mnt/* --exclude=/sys/* --exclude=/tmp/* /

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Just a quick question...

I have ubuntu Gutsy installed with dual boot alongside Windows XP. Will this still work? I put in the code exactly as you did in the beginning, and it's currently creating the file. I have separate Windows and Ubuntu partitions. Will this back up windows also?

Page 53 of 138 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast