Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bios problem?

Beans

Bios problem?

Hello!
    I'm running XUbuntu on my Asus eee pc (1015PED)
    i was trying to upgrade rom from shipped 1Gb to 4Gb, but the Asus computer don't handle more than 2Gb !!!

Now are all dead, only power led came on when start and the HD led light up for 1/2 sec or less then go off.
    ater that only power led are on and nothing hapend.....
    I think something happent to bios, are there somthing to do??

Greatfur in advance for any help.

Greetings from Leffep

Beans

Re: Bios problem?

Hello leif-perjus, Welcome to the forums !

It is always a good idea to provide a link to a page that shows exactly the specs of your system. I searched for it and two pages show two different types of RAM -
    http://www.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee...-34168005.html says it has a 1 GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM
    http://www.pcworld.com/product/66458...-ghz-blue.html says it has a 1GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM

Which one is yours?

And how did you try to upgrade? Did you make sure the RAM is of same specs as supported by your netbook's slot (frequence, voltage)?
    Was it a single module of 4GB or 2x2GB modules?
    What did you do with the stock RAM module that came with it?

Can you access the BIOS settings?

Try inserting the original module and make sure it is properly seated. If it is under warranty, it is probably the best idea to take it to the service center to do the upgrade/fix.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Hello leif-perjus, Welcome to the forums !

It is always a good idea to provide a link to a page that shows exactly the specs of your system. I searched for it and two pages show two different types of RAM -
    http://www.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee...-34168005.html says it has a 1 GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM
    http://www.pcworld.com/product/66458...-ghz-blue.html says it has a 1GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM

Which one is yours?

And how did you try to upgrade? Did you make sure the RAM is of same specs as supported by your netbook's slot (frequence, voltage)?
    Was it a single module of 4GB or 2x2GB modules?
    What did you do with the stock RAM module that came with it?

Can you access the BIOS settings?

Try inserting the original module and make sure it is properly seated. If it is under warranty, it is probably the best idea to take it to the service center to do the upgrade/fix.
    Hello and thanks for answer and greetings!
    Mine are similar to this: http://www.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee...-34168005.html says it has a 1 GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM but my original memory module are: DDRIII 1GB-1333 SSY3128M8-EDJED
    and the one i upgrade to are: 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 204-PIN SODIMM 1.5v

Both are 204 pin and fitted as the should. After uppgrade nothing hapent exept the power led light go on. After waiting some minutes i hold powerbutton so it shut down, change to original memory (1GB) again but when power on nothing hapent, screen black all the time, only power led light.

I open up computer and disconnected the 3V battery (Right under touchpad) for 30 minutes then connected the battery, assembled computer and try again, NO success. Still all black exept power led.

Also try F1 F2 F3............ together with power on but Nothing..... so cant access the BIOS. No HD activity when power on.

ASUS Type 1015PED-PIK006S Date: 2012-01-10 Got it second-hand so maby no warranty

What to do ??? Give to grandchildren to play with??

Grateful to all help .... !!!!
    Last edited by leif-perjus; November 6th, 2013 at 05:48 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think your 4GB RAM card does not fit logically. Put the old 1GB RAM card back and run the computer with Xubuntu. Check the memory specs with

Code:
    sudo lshw -class memory -sanitize > lshw.txt
    and post the content of the file lshw.txt. Mark that text and click on the # icon at the top of the editing window to put it within code tags. This will help us decide what kind of memory card you should use.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I think your 4GB RAM card does not fit logically. Put the old 1GB RAM card back and run the computer with Xubuntu. Check the memory specs with

Code:
    sudo lshw -class memory -sanitize > lshw.txt
    and post the content of the file lshw.txt. Mark that text and click on the # icon at the top of the editing window to put it within code tags. This will help us decide what kind of memory card you should use.
    Hi sudodus !
    Sorry i can't, because the computer dont start anymore and my other laptop don't have the same DDR3 memory.

Beans
    Hidden!

What happens if you put the old 1 GB RAM card back to the computer (and remove the 4GB RAM card)? Is something damaged?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    What happens if you put the old 1 GB RAM card back to the computer (and remove the 4GB RAM card)? Is something damaged?
    If i put ori memorycard back, still dead computer, only power led lighting steady
    I'm petty sure something happen to bios

I disconnect the 3V battery in 30 minutes, but with no success.

Is there any way to reset the bios in a dead computer ??

Beans

Might sound funny, but I read in a (totally unrelated) review that the BIOS of a particular Dell model needed about 24 hrs to get totally reset. So you may try that as another attempt on resetting the BIOS.

I don't think a 1.5V RAM module has the potential to do any physical damage to the board, so it is most probably just the BIOS confusion.
    Also, double check that you have *properly* seated the original module, there is no lose contact.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Ok tnx for all help so fare, i'll disconnected the 3V battery now, and hope on success after 24 hour or more..........

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leif-perjus View Post
    Ok tnx for all help so fare, i'll disconnected the 3V battery now, and hope on success after 24 hour or more..........
    No, no change I assemble the computer again after 38h disconnected backup- and working-batteries
    I'm go to computer repair tomorrow, see what they can do.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast