Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Office software

Beans

Office software

Hello all,

Quick question, I mainly use latex for word processing. For some uses however an office suite would be nice, I know Libre office is included and I have no dislike to the package I just want to know what else is out there / what peoples thoughts on different office packages are.

Cheers

Matt

TLR ; what other office suites are there apart from libre / whats best iyo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Office software

There is also Abiword for word processing and Gnumeric for spreadsheet. I would recommend LibreOffice over either. There is also the whole Koffice suite. That is well worth looking at and it has many specialities not found in other suites. It's been a few years since I've used Koffice so I can't say one way or another about it other than to recommend looking at it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Apache OpenOffice.org is still available, and some people like it better than LibreOffice, but others don't like its Apache license.

Personally, I like Abiword/Gnumeric, although it isn't a complete, integrated office environment.

Google Docs and Zoho Office are available on the web, and Microsoft's own offerings are usually targeted for early assimilation on WINE.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

There's a whole KDE office package, but I don't have a lot of experience with it.

On a slower machine, Abiword all the way. It does all the basics, without being overly painfull. For day to day stuff (writing, exporting PDF's with images etc), libreoffice is pretty solid, and broadly supported.

Beans

Meh. None of these apps is as good as MS Word, I hate to say, both in terms of doing research papers for college or for document and formatting compatibility. I hope that, one day, this will not be the case anymore.

Beans
    Distro

Not everyone cares about MS office compatibility mate.

edit: and to be honest, I don't remember the last time an office document didn't open correctly. I don't use excel so I might be oblivious to stuff there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Calligra

Quote Originally Posted by weasel fierce View Post

edit: and to be honest, I don't remember the last time an office document didn't open correctly. I don't use excel so I might be oblivious to stuff there.
    Actually libreoffice does a better job of opening different versions of MS Office documents than MS Office itself. MS Office is not really fully compatible with itself, especially across versions. It was the Mac version of MS Office that drove me to evaluate alternatives and at the time OpenOffice turned out to be much better quality and more useful than MS Office. I think it is now LibreOffice with the lead, but as mentioned time has passed and Koffice has improved a lot so it is time for another evaluation. Koffice has some really nice tools. I guess it's now called Calligra

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    Meh. None of these apps is as good as MS Word, I hate to say, both in terms of doing research papers for college or for document and formatting compatibility. I hope that, one day, this will not be the case anymore.
    I don't know what college you are talking about and what discipline, but in the science departments of most reputable universities nobody uses MS office to do research or write papers. Latex rules. In the humanities probably, but I doubt that you have to use MS words to write a paper on human sexuality or some such and there is no replacement
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; November 10th, 2012 at 09:51 PM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by weasel fierce View Post

I have had large csv files being screwed up by excel but Libreoffice opens it fine. I think as long as you stick to open formats the compatibility issue would not arise.

P.S. I agree re poor MSO compatibility across versions. I know someone who has switched to Mac but still keeping his old laptop because he said the Mac version of MSO cannot display some of his old files. Well I suspect that LibreOffice would work but the guy said he doesn't know how to install it and I haven't got a chance to take a look.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; November 10th, 2012 at 09:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Oh goodness yeah. At work they're transitioning from XP to 7, and we have something like 3 versions of office in use throughout the building. It's a nightmare

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast