Page 21 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Quote Originally Posted by IstvanL View Post
    http://sidux.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-14163.html

Try this solution. It helped me solving the same issue.
    Cheers
    You shouldn't need the client lanman auth options unless you're using a very old (Win98) computer as your Samba server. In my opinion, the security risks of enabling file sharing on a Win98 computer is extreme and inadvisable even in a trusted network. You should either upgrade the Win98 machine, or remove it from the network and use it as an independent workstation.

Some NAS devices have this problem, but there are other ways around that.

Thanks though.
    Last edited by dmizer; November 9th, 2009 at 02:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Using Ubuntu 9.10, just installed this afternoon.

When I go to places/network a window opens and shows icons for the two Windows machines on the network. When I try to acces them it will not let me in. I have a XP machine, a Win7 machine, and this Ubuntu machine all hard wired to the router. The two windows machines are indeed assigned to WORKGROUP. I checked the SMB.CONF file and it reads workgroup=WORKGROUP. I have the two windows machines working perfectly, sharing files, printers, and anything else.... all that is good. I'm just trying to be able to share files from windows shared folders to Ubuntu

My question at this point, is which steps on the first page do you suggest I start with???
    eVGA X58 Classified E759, i7 920, G.Skill Perfect Storm DDR3 2000 3X2gb, 2X eVGA GTX260 SSC SLI, Lian-LI PC75B, Corsair TX850W, 2X WD Black 640gb Raid0 Win7, Seagate 320gb Linux Mint 9, LG GH22LS30 DVDRW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

dmizer,
    Thanks so much for this post..... after I posted above I started going through your options one by one, and finally I am able to navigate the shared folders on the XP machine. Sadly I am still unable to browse the Win7 machine.

Some more information.... The XP machine only had the "MyDocuments" folder shared, the Win7 machine has an entire spare hard drive shared, and thats the one I cant get in to. Any help would be appreciated!
    eVGA X58 Classified E759, i7 920, G.Skill Perfect Storm DDR3 2000 3X2gb, 2X eVGA GTX260 SSC SLI, Lian-LI PC75B, Corsair TX850W, 2X WD Black 640gb Raid0 Win7, Seagate 320gb Linux Mint 9, LG GH22LS30 DVDRW

Beans

Great how-to! Many thanks!

I've diddled with my network shares off and on for months. My workaround for this frustrating problem, was to access the network from a virtual machine. For some reason it worked for me, despite the fact that the Ubuntu host machine couldn't see the network.

Oh well - I followed instructions posted here, and everything works beautifully now!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Dmizer - I took the liberty of copy/pasting your post to another forum, and gave you credit for the solution, along with a link to this article. View here, if you like:
    http://www.mauisun.org/vbb/newthread...ostthread&f=58

And, did I say, "Thank you!"
    Last edited by Runaway1956; November 9th, 2009 at 08:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

dmizer

I'm in really bad need of help and from reading through this thread, you seem to be the best shot. Long story short I've been trying for about a month now to get my Linux boxes (a desktop and laptop) to see / be seen by the windows computers on my home network. So far nothing as worked long term - a fix will work temperately but then not work the next day - and I'm at the point to where I don't know if its something I'm doing wrong or I have so many “fixes” on my desktop that its a hopeless battle. I just updated my netbook to 9.10 hoping that might help to have a fresh start for the laptop to see any thing, but again nothing.

My Desktop is 9.04 with Samba 2:3.3.2 – name is HDS-Linux
    My Netbook is 9.10 with Samba 2:3.4.0 – name is NetLinBox

I attached my smb config files if they are needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lvcoyote View Post
    dmizer,
    Sadly I am still unable to browse the Win7 machine.
    Try this possible fix: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=34

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiisnowstorm View Post
    dmizer

My Desktop is 9.04 with Samba 2:3.3.2 – name is HDS-Linux
    My Netbook is 9.10 with Samba 2:3.4.0 – name is NetLinBox

I attached my smb config files if they are needed.
    First of all, have you been through all the fixes in the first post in this thread? If not, do so.

A couple of minor changes I can suggest to your smb.conf files.

On both HDS-Linux and NetLinBox, look for this line:
    Code:
    ;   name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
    and add this line directly below it:
    Code:
       name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast host
    On HDS-Linux, remove this line:
    Code:
       usershare owner only = false
    Reboot after making these changes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

dmizer,
    when I open the samba.conf file, I see the global heading, but what is this "stanza" about?? The word stanza appears no where in thesamba.conf file..... is it something I need to add?? Exactly how and where should it be added???

If you look at the link you provided, it says...
    Those of you having problems with Win7, please try adding the following options to your [global] stanza in /etc/samba/smb.conf:
    Code:

domain master = no
    local master = no
    preferred master = no
    os level = 0
    The "stanza" reference has me confused......sorry.....
    Last edited by Lvcoyote; November 10th, 2009 at 07:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro

"Stanza" just means section. So look at your /etc/samba/smb.conf file and just add those options somewhere below here:
    Code:
    #======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok I added those lines just after the word global, still not working, getting the pop up window that says"
    Unable to mount
    failed to receive share list from server

Here is a copy of my smb.conf file
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 21 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast