Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ath9k

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ath9k

Quote Originally Posted by tomrshl View Post
    I have been using the MadWifi wireless driver for my Macbook Pro, is ath9k a replacement for this? I don't quite understand, is it just for specific atheros hardware, or their whole range?
    I think my MBP model is second generation, its one with NVIDIA graphics.
    Development of madwifi was dropped to work on a set of fully open source drivers for atheros wifi cards (madwifi uses a closed-source hal layer to access the hardware). In fact, the last 'stable' release of madwifi does not support your atheros card, you have to get a development snapshot. ath5k was the first release of the open drivers, but it did not support the newer cards. ath9k was recently announced and I think it should support any of the MacBook / MacBook Pro models that have an atheros wifi card.

If you wireless works just fine, I wouldn't worry about changing drivers as this is still a relatively earlier set of code. If you would like to test it out, or if you want to try to get 802.11n speed working, or if you just want to get that closed hal layer off your system, then you can use this.

PS you have a 3rd generation MacBook Pro (MacBookPro3,1)
    Last edited by cyberdork33; August 8th, 2008 at 02:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wow. You may just be my new best friend! I have a spankin' new model (the day I bought it I believe it was the only 802.11n card available) of the Wireless-N NICs from D-Link that has been sitting on my shelf since I bought it a couple years ago because I could never find a suitable driver. MadWifi never really did good job in my mind so I ended up resorting to NDISWrapper to get the job done. I'm not a big fan of wrapping drivers though, so I'm elated that you've gone through all this trouble to take all the hassle out of the kernel work. The minute I'm home I'm going to try out this driver and see how it all works. Thanks a million!
    Processor: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.67GHz || Memory: 6144MB PC2-6400 RAM || GPU: GeForce 9800GTS
    Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Fata1ity Gamer Pro || Hard Drive: >4 TB Total || Monitor: Two LG 22" Flatron Wide LCD Monitor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I just bought a D-Link DWA-643 ExpressCard with the Atheros AR5418 chipset, supported by ath9k as far as I know. I'm running Linux Mint 5, kernel version 2.6.24-16-generic

Is it possible to use ath9k drivers with this setup? If so, how would I go about doing that? Your earlier instructions are aimed at Ubuntu, and this page has instructions, but I do not know if they are current or will work with my setup.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Never mind, I got the madwifi-trunk drivers working (sort of). If they end up failing to work completely, I think I will look into ath9k
    Last edited by mikazo; August 10th, 2008 at 03:11 AM.
    Mikazo Tech Blog - A blog about the switch to Linux and various other technological adventures

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mikazo View Post
    Your earlier instructions are aimed at Ubuntu, and this page has instructions, but I do not know if they are current or will work with my setup.
    Just for reference, yes those look like they would work. It would be much easier to just get the latest Ubuntu kernel and install it in Mint then apply the attached deb

Also, the ath9k driver was barely announced, so any how to is pretty much going to be "current".

Beans
    Hidden!

Nice, worked like a charm in kernel 2.6.24-19.

Caveat A - It doesn't work in 2.6.24-20. Why not ?

Caveat B - Signal strenght is very good, better than late madwifi. I didn't use Ndiswrapper.

ath9k is ok with wicd. Now is time to network manager get ready.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    Wow, I was really making the suggestion kinda tongue-in-cheek since I figure that you would have to backport a large portion of the kernel code... This is really awesome though!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    P.S. Volanin, you might want to add a note to your post to reiterate that the PPA is only for Mac users.
    Done!

Quote Originally Posted by mabovo
    Nice, worked like a charm in kernel 2.6.24-19.
    Caveat A - It doesn't work in 2.6.24-20. Why not?
    It does not work in kernel 2.6.24-20 because the modules must be compiled for a specific version of the kernel... and the kernel 2.6.24-20 is still not available in the PPA archives. But, I compiled it anyways in my local machine (for i386 only), so you might try to use it! (Read the updates part at the end of my original post!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by volanin View Post
    It does not work in kernel 2.6.24-20 because the modules must be compiled for a specific version of the kernel... and the kernel 2.6.24-20 is still not available in the PPA archives. But, I compiled it anyways in my local machine (for i386 only), so you might try to use it! (Read the updates part at the end of my original post!)
    Just wanted to mention this guide a bit more. If you are on some other kernel, or custom compile your own, these directions will help you get the wireless-testing source and compile it so that you can get ath9k to work.
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to...rsion_of_atk9k
    Last edited by cyberdork33; August 11th, 2008 at 04:25 PM.

Beans

Cool, I installed using the deb for 2.6.24-20, and it works very well on my MBP.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Re: ath9k

Ok Question here. I installed it and now my WiFi card works. BUT the issue I am haviing is my internet seems ti be very slow now. Also the connection speed reports as 1 MB not 54 MB like it usually says. Any Ideas? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Volanin: All I can say is wow! How did you manage it? I gave up pretty quickly trying to compile ath9k for even 2.6.26. I just compiled wireless-testing. I haven't had any catastrophic crashes of the type you describe when removing the module with my ar5418. This is actually quite a common thing to do before putting your system to sleep. In fact, I thought this happens automatically via /etc/acpi/suspend.d/70-modules-unload.sh. BTW: I don't understand why the PPA is for mac users only.

mikazo: Indeed, the howto on Thinkwiki is current. I'm keeping it updated as things progress.

Nxion: I'm pretty sure the link speed is currently being reported incorrectly. I also see 1 MB/s with iwconfig, however my router says that my laptop is connecting at 100-300Mb/s. If you're actually finding it slow, that's an other story. However this driver is still very much in development, so it's probably best to stay on top of the latest driver in the wireless-testing kernel.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast