Thread: blank desktop screen after login after installing ubuntu 12.10 on compaq evo n610c

Beans

Exclamation blank desktop screen after login after installing ubuntu 12.10 on compaq evo n610c

After installing ubuntu 12.10 permanently from windows xp professional It is a compaq evo n610c, and entering password login, it just shows a blank desktop screen. no icons, no upper left menu. nothiing. what to do ??? I am new to ubuntu and linux operated systems....do i need to go to an older version of ubuntu for ubuntu to work ???

here are more specs: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q...11382_div.HTML

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: blank desktop screen after login after installing ubuntu 12.10 on compaq evo n610

Hi, welcome to the fora.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanb1014 View Post
    ...from windows xp professional
    Does this mean that you are installing Ubuntu inside Windows (Wubi)?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Re: blank desktop screen after login after installing ubuntu 12.10 on compaq evo n610

I had 12.04 running side by side with windows 7 and after updating to 12.10, I also have a blank desktop.
    I checked your specs and we both using an ATI Radeon video card. there is a youtube clip on how to fix this issue for a Nvidia and AMD cards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by toswells View Post
    there is a youtube clip on how to fix this issue for a Nvidia and AMD cards.
    Perhaps a link?

Beans

I’m having a similar problem as well. I installed it beside Windows XP Pro. I installed it on a Dell Inspiron 600m, using the instructions found here http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/how-t...n-non-pae.html (It has a non-PAE processor) It too has an ATI video card (Mobility Radeon 9000) What I find odd is that I have a bunch of usable controls in the upper right edge of the log in screen, which disappear once I log in.

Beans

I am having the same problem on my Dell dimension 4600. The log in looks like everything is fine but everything is blank beyond that. I am getting error messages about things crashing. Brand new to the Ubuntu world, could use some help.