Thread: E: Couldn't find package libmp3lame-dev

Beans

E: Couldn't find package libmp3lame-dev

Hi There!

I'm newbie in ubuntu and trying to install ffmpeg but there's an error which i couldn't figure out.

i'm trying somethings according to this article;
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095

p.s: sorry for my bad english.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: E: Couldn't find package libmp3lame-dev

Share a little more around what you were doing when the error arrived?

Beans

what version of ubuntu do you use? So, paste the command: uname -a in this thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by sosyopat View Post
    It's in the multiverse repository. In your link, under No 2, it does tell you to enable the universe and multiverse repositories. Normally, these would already be enabled but, if not, open System > Administration > Software Sources. Under the 'Ubuntu Software' tab make sure the universe and multiverse repositories are ticked and do a 'reload' if prompted.

Your system should now be able to find libmp3lame-dev. But if those repositories were already enabled, I don't know. Are you using Lucid, version 10.04?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    It's in the multiverse repository. In your link, under No 2, it does tell you to enable the universe and multiverse repositories. Normally, these would already be enabled but, if not, open System > Administration > Software Sources. Under the 'Ubuntu Software' tab make sure the universe and multiverse repositories are ticked and do a 'reload' if prompted.

Your system should now be able to find libmp3lame-dev. But if those repositories were already enabled, I don't know. Are you using Lucid, version 10.04?

i've enabled universe and multiverse repositories according to this tutorial.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...es/CommandLine

but there's no change at all. still can't find libmp3lame-dev.
    using Ubuntu Server 2.6.24-24-server

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

using Ubuntu Server 2.6.24-24-server
    That's version 8.04, Hardy heron. You've been following the wrong instructions - there probably was no libmp3lame-dev in Hardy. There would have been a different package. Go to your link and under 'Choose your Ubuntu', click on the link that takes you to the Hardy Heron/8.04 page. Then follow those instructions and you should be fine.

i've enabled universe and multiverse repositories according to this tutorial.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...es/CommandLine
    You didn't need a tutorial. I gave you all the steps necessary. Anyway, that's beside the point. Follow the Hardy howto.

Edit: out of interest - you describe yourself as a newbie, yet you are using a server version of a 2-year old release. Why did you not install the desktop version of the current long-term release - 10.04, Lucid Lynx?
    Last edited by coffeecat; September 8th, 2010 at 04:55 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

That's version 8.04, Hardy heron. You've been following the wrong instructions - there probably was no libmp3lame-dev in Hardy. There would have been a different package. Go to your link and under 'Choose your Ubuntu', click on the link that takes you to the Hardy Heron/8.04 page. Then follow those instructions and you should be fine.

You didn't need a tutorial. I gave you all the steps necessary. Anyway, that's beside the point. Follow the Hardy howto.

Edit: out of interest - you describe yourself as a newbie, yet you are using a server version of a 2-year old release. Why did you not install the desktop version of the current long-term release - 10.04, Lucid Lynx?

is there any way to install ffmpeg on this relase?
    8.04 hardy server

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

is there any way to install ffmpeg on this relase?
    8.04 hardy server
    Go back and read my previous post:

Go to your link and under 'Choose your Ubuntu', click on the link that takes you to the Hardy Heron/8.04 page.
    All the instructions on that link can be done from the command line, so it should work in the server version. The problem with libmp3lame-dev is that you were (I guess) following the Lucid/10.04 instructions. I can't help you any more. The instructions you found seem clear and complete. It's just that you were using the wrong version.