Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

Beans

Re: SCRIPT: GrubED - GUI Grub editing

i tried to remove the low latency option from the grub that was installed with my nvidia drivers and it wouldnt get rid of it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

By the looks of it, this project is still active; congrats!

Tomosaur, please visit http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3376011 and add your program to the list of the best of the Ubuntu community.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Tomosaur View Post
    Righty ho, update is now available (check the first page of this thread ).

The problem about the default boot not being updated still isn't 'fixed' - but GrubEd will at least now prompt users to re-select the default boot option after the OS list has been modified using the options GrubEd provides. Hopefully this will mean people won't get caught out, but it's not an ideal solution. Hopefully this will just be a temporary solution to the problem - if users don't just ignore the warnings then hopefully the should be fine.

Obviously, if users use the Direct Edit option to change their boot list, then they're on their own!

As for the GTK error, I couldn't reproduce it :S

The part about not using '/sbin/update-grub' I think is down to you having messed up paths. Try the following command in the terminal:
    Code:
    echo $PATH
    If /sbin/ appears BEFORE /usr/sbin/, then I think that's the cause of your problem. To fix it, open ~/.bashrc in a text editor, then at the bottom of the file, copy the output of the above command into an export instruction, but make sure /usr/sbin comes before /sbin. So, for example, you would use:
    Code:
    #Fix the PATH variable to look for user programs before system programs
    /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
    Then save your .bashrc file, log out, then log back in again. Hopefully the update-grub problem will not appear again.

There are some other things I've found which I want to fix, but none of them are all that serious - just usability stuff really (as a special bonus, I've finally removed the annoying 'Do you want to perform a new task?' box ).

Hope that helps you out!

Tom

Oh, and Ferhat - thanks for the kind words and publicity
    Thanks Tom. The echo $PATH command gave me the exact same line as you suggest, so no need to change it. Though that leave the gtk / grub error stuff unexplained I guess. I'm using Kubuntu but don't know if that's relevant. Well important thing is it works anyway

Beans

Grub splash image

I am having a gigabye k8ns nvidia nforce3 250 mother board. I edited my grub by changing menu.lst file.
    Now its says "cant read splash image (hd0,3)" (when booting)
    Can someone help me please ..!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Grub splash image

Quote Originally Posted by path_finder View Post
    I am having a gigabye k8ns nvidia nforce3 250 mother board. I edited my grub by changing menu.lst file.
    Now its says "cant read splash image (hd0,3)" (when booting)
    Can someone help me please ..!
    Just to be clear, did you use GrubED to set it? Most likely either the splash image file is the wrong format, its name or location isn't specified, it is at the wrong location, or the notation of where to find it (that's the (hd0,3) part, 0 referring to the hard drive and 3 the partition) is incorrect. The line specifying what image to use and where it is would be at the top of the /boot/grub/menu.lst file you can check this file in a text editor or by the "direct edit" option in GrubEd. As always be careful if editing that file directly. Hope this helps you figure it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by yowshi View Post
    i tried to remove the low latency option from the grub that was installed with my nvidia drivers and it wouldnt get rid of it

At the moment there's no option to remove a specific kernel entry from grub using GrubEd. The best you can do is to just remove the unwanted entry directly from the /boot/grub/menu.lst file.

Beans
    Hidden!

I Just done a clean install of gutsy today, and grubed would not change the default os. Ive just had a search on the net from work and i found a new version of grubed, does anyone know if its been tried on gutsy?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by geekcliff View Post
    I Just done a clean install of gutsy today, and grubed would not change the default os. Ive just had a search on the net from work and i found a new version of grubed, does anyone know if its been tried on gutsy?
    The latest version of GrubEd is always on the first page of this thread - do you have a link to where the version of GrubEd you found is?

I have trouble with my gutsy install so haven't been able to test GrubEd on it yet, but as soon as I've ironed out the problem I'll post here and let everyone know if it works ok. I can't imagine there should be any issues.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ithink the new version came from your web site http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cs5tjh/GrubEd/, i cant try it out till monday.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by geekcliff View Post
    Ithink the new version came from your web site http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cs5tjh/GrubEd/, i cant try it out till monday.
    Ah right - yeah that one should be ok then

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast