Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Your precious Solid State Drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Your precious Solid State Drive

Quote Originally Posted by meathdeath View Post
    SSD HDDs are only useful if youre on windows. to be honest the only place they are useful for is loading games quickly.
    I would love to hear your reasoning for this.

Like any hardware you need to weigh up the pros (increased speed) and cons (lower capacity, higher price per GB) before making a choice.
    Having an SSD with my / and /home partitions on has halved my boot time as well as allowing me to launch applications near instantaneously. I would love to hear why this isn't useful.
    Cheesemill

Beans

I plan to install both win 7 and ubuntu on one ssd. This means first make 2 partitions with win 7 installer and then, after win7 installed, instal ubuntu on second of them. Will be, in this case, ssd alligned propertly?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    I would love to hear your reasoning for this.

Like any hardware you need to weigh up the pros (increased speed) and cons (lower capacity, higher price per GB) before making a choice.
    Having an SSD with my / and /home partitions on has halved my boot time as well as allowing me to launch applications near instantaneously. I would love to hear why this isn't useful.
    My thoughts exactly. I don't want to claim a halving of boot time, but the install that I have on my SSD definitely boots faster and runs more briskly than the install that is on the HDD in the same machine.
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If someone thinks all they will do is make games open faster, that's because all they do is play games.

Pretty much every program will open faster. As a programmer compiling and running software all day I find my SSDs invaluable.

ivanox, your Ubuntu install should detect the partition as usual. You'll still want to follow the tips posted earlier though (enable trim and set noatime).

Tip for Windows: Turning of the hibernate option will save 4-6 gigs of wasted disk space. Instructions
    My very own riot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

After having burnt an SSD within three weeks, I decided I had to tweak my settings if I wanted to run Linux on it.

This article helped a lot.

http://brizoma.com/2012/08/04/runnin...ors-on-an-ssd/
    Last edited by adad; September 1st, 2013 at 10:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have / on my 120GB SSD, which makes boot time incredibly quick (<20 seconds). I have /home on a 1TB SATA, which leaves me with plenty of space and easy upgrades in the future.

I also backup /home to another 1TB drive on a daily basis.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Your precious Solid State Drive

Firmware updates to SSDs can be quite important to their performance and even to their life expectancy.

Will the Ubuntu update centre be able to detect download and install newer versions of firmware for a SSD?

Thank you!
    Linux-libre ask for it
    Coreboot Free software to replace proprietary BIOS
    Trisquel a fully free GNU/Linux-libre distribution
    Open Source does not mean Free My Spec Earthlings

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harrison View Post
    I have / on my 120GB SSD, which makes boot time incredibly quick (<20 seconds). I have /home on a 1TB SATA, which leaves me with plenty of space and easy upgrades in the future.

I also backup /home to another 1TB drive on a daily basis.
    Ermm...the normal boot time of most GNU/Linux distros, including Ubuntu, on a HDD, is around 10 seconds. With my SSD, my computer boots in 5.

If you want to maximise the life of your SSD, move any frequently read and written places to RAM or a HDD, like /tmp, /home, /var/log, /var/tmp, /var/spool and swap. It is a good idea to keep /home on the SSD if you want applications to load faster.

Beans

I reckon they do, the fact that they have no moving parts they would be cooler and quieter.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234