Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVidia-settings crashes.

Beans

Exclamation NVidia-settings crashes.

When I run 'nvidia-settings' for my NVidia 7600GS graphics card (driver ver. 173) then it crashes with the following error on the command line:

Code:
    The program 'nvidia-settings' received an X Window System error.
    This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)'.
     *(Details: serial 376 error_code 2 request_code 140 minor_code 19)
     *(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
     * that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
     * To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
     * option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
     * backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
    This only happens when I try to adjust anything in the "GPU0" section (for example the TV out overscan). The other sections (xscreen 0 and 1) are fine.

How can I solve this?
    Last edited by Meneer Jansen; October 16th, 2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: prob solved

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: NVidia-settings crashes.

Why are you using the 173 series drivers? Your card is still supported by the 260 series. Which version of ubuntu are you using?

Beans

Thank you for your kind reply. I use Ubuntu 10.04 The Lucid Lynx. If I search in Synaptic then I can see some "nvidia-180-glx" stuff. But no 260 stuff. What is the latest Nvidia driver in Ubuntu? The 260 series? I'd like to install a driver that is as new as possible.

Beans

Wait. I saw a "nvidia-current" package in Synaptic. That installed a 195.36.24-0ubuntu1~10.04 version of the driver. This also installed a 195.36 version of nvidia-settings which also crashes on anything listed under the "GPU0" section.

Beans
    Hidden!

Are you sure it also updated nvidia-settings app?

Try this
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-settings
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
    If that doesnt help, then I suspect you have some leftovers from the old drivers (that should never have been installed in the first place? Didnt jocky offer 195 drivers?). Anyway, try deleting or renaming your xorg.conf

Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.back
    last thing you could try:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Beans

Thank you very much for your tips! I made the mistake to look in Synaptic for my driver version, when I should have consulted nvidia-settings for that.

After installing "nvidia-current" the used driver was still version 173. With trembling hands (wouhar!) I removed all version 173 things and rebooted.

Now nvidia-settings works!!! And the driver version is now 195. Wonder if I'll ever get version 260.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Meneer Jansen View Post
    Thank you very much for your tips! I made the mistake to look in Synaptic for my driver version, when I should have consulted nvidia-settings for that.
    First mistake you made is installing it through synaptic. Ubuntu has such a nice utility to find and install drivers (system >adminstration>additional drivers), just use that . Next stop is ubuntu software center

Now nvidia-settings works!!! And the driver version is now 195. Wonder if I'll ever get version 260.
    You already have. Its confusing and I dont understand it quite myself, but 185 or 195 seems to be the version of glx package, but it includes 260.19.6 drivers (according to software center). On nvidia site, the newest are barely any newer, 260.19.12.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    First mistake you made is installing it through synaptic. Ubuntu has such a nice utility to find and install drivers (system >adminstration>additional drivers), just use that . Next stop is ubuntu software center
    That's what I did in the first place and it installed 173...

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    You already have [driver 260]. Its confusing and I dont understand it quite myself, but 185 or 195 seems to be the version of glx package, but it includes 260.19.6 drivers (according to software center). On nvidia site, the newest are barely any newer, 260.19.12.
    Thank you for the info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Sorry to bring this topic again, but I have exact problem, only mine isn't solved when I install nvidia-current [which installs 195] and remove all other versions.

Should xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and xserver-xorg-video-nv be installed? I know I had them installed, but I removed them during this process, as I thought that they are somehow connected to my problem.

Anyhow, I installed nvidia-current as I said, but now, following nvidia-settings note that I should run

Code:
    $ sudo nvidia-xconfig
    and restart X as nvidia-settings tells me, virtually nothing happens, the screen just wents black. Installing xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and xserver-xorg-video-nv again isn't changing anything.

When I restart the system, it brings up that drivers failed.

I installed nvidia-current from terminal, since when I go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers nothing is shown.

Beans
    Hidden!

First of all, what videocard do you have?

Secondly, try removing or renaming xorg.conf before running nvidia-xconfig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast