View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 49 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

I ran Feisty for a few months now. Got some major problems in the beginning with my Dell D830 (and the intel 965GM videochip) but I got it up&running without any problems (including Beryl)

Today I upgraded to Gutsy Gibbon and after a 1,2GB download (yes, I have much installed) the system rebooted and seemed to work, except Compiz wasn' t working because of an error of the videocard and sound wasn't working at all.

After a quick search thru this forum I was able to get back my sound (also Intel chip) and on the Dell wiki there was a description how to enable compiz on my Dell. So, it works now and I like it a lot.

Besides that, the upgrade removed my plugins/skins from aMSN (which I had to download again) but so far as I see, that is the only thing.

I'm glad that browsing a Windows 2003 network now works without mounting using the cifs filesystem. In Feisty cifs wasn't supported with nautilus, but now it is! I also like the new compiz manager and the Xorg-fallback.

For the programmers and testers, good job y' all!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I've been using Linux since I found Feisty Ubuntu. My Feisty install was the simplest, most efficient install I've ever done for an OS. Naturally, I wanted to move to Gutsy.

First I decided to upgrade, since I'm out of desktop machine - no more room to transfer my stuff onto. So after many unsuccessful tries - probably 15 or 20 - I finally managed to get Gutsy to upgrade properly. When it finally did, I noticed that the manby changes I'd made following threads from here to get my Compiz-Fusion working got me into more trouble - XGL got turned on, and really bogged down the system. Even a screen refresh took 2 seconds. Every application slowed to a crawl. I then decided I was going to have to transfer my stuff to another HD and start fresh.

After 12 hours of file copying (for something that should have taken 30 minutes), I started a fresh install. Didn't take more than 30 minutes, but since I've had bugs in tring to figure out why certain software can't be installed. Compiz now works fine, although there are no settings or plugins screen. Certain things are now easier but I'm trying to find some functions... and it seems you really have to go through the menus every time.

Here is a suggestion - why not have an application mark down where all functions and apps of a version of Ubuntu are - for example where the functions for screen resolution is - and after an install, have it put a link where it once was. When you hit the old link, a macro would then show you, from the desktop, where all the new functions are.

I love Ubuntu, but so far, my first upgrade experience has been not-so-great.
    Couzin2000
    Sainte-Thérèse | Quebec | Canada

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

install and os works perfect ati driver loaded great dual monitor support sucks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by matthias_k View Post
    I can't say how disappointed I'm with Gutsy. The RC live DVD looked so promising, but even after a fresh install the core system is so buggy and unstable, I still didn't get it to work properly for me.

Really disappointing for a Ubuntu release.
    What exactly doesn't work? Have you tried the forums to fix the problems?
    Linux User #395848
    Blog: http://digitalnotions.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by couzin2000 View Post
    I've been using Linux since I found Feisty Ubuntu. My Feisty install was the simplest, most efficient install I've ever done for an OS. Naturally, I wanted to move to Gutsy.

First I decided to upgrade, since I'm out of desktop machine - no more room to transfer my stuff onto. So after many unsuccessful tries - probably 15 or 20 - I finally managed to get Gutsy to upgrade properly. When it finally did, I noticed that the manby changes I'd made following threads from here to get my Compiz-Fusion working got me into more trouble - XGL got turned on, and really bogged down the system. Even a screen refresh took 2 seconds. Every application slowed to a crawl. I then decided I was going to have to transfer my stuff to another HD and start fresh.

After 12 hours of file copying (for something that should have taken 30 minutes), I started a fresh install. Didn't take more than 30 minutes, but since I've had bugs in tring to figure out why certain software can't be installed. Compiz now works fine, although there are no settings or plugins screen. Certain things are now easier but I'm trying to find some functions... and it seems you really have to go through the menus every time.

Here is a suggestion - why not have an application mark down where all functions and apps of a version of Ubuntu are - for example where the functions for screen resolution is - and after an install, have it put a link where it once was. When you hit the old link, a macro would then show you, from the desktop, where all the new functions are.

I love Ubuntu, but so far, my first upgrade experience has been not-so-great.
    Here is another example where the upgrade just doesn't work as expected...

I really think that the fresh install works good (never had a problem myself), but the upgrade needs some work (never had one work).

Perhaps this is a good goal for future releases? Upgrades that are somewhat painless?

I guess to be fair, it should be noted that upgrading from Windows 95 --> 98 didn't work for me. Neither did the upgrade from Windows NT --> Windows 2000. Had to do a fresh install of both. But since Ubuntu is re-released every six months, this can be frustrating for newer Linux users.
    Linux User #395848
    Blog: http://digitalnotions.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Perfect! I installed Gutsy from the Live-CD without any problems whatsoever. Thanks to those who do the hard work!

For the record:
    AMD Athlon 1Ghz, 512 DDR-RAM, Nvidia GeForce 2 MX/MX 400 (used Envy for that)

I must admit that I have resisted the temptation to update my laptop that I use for my work. I shall follow the advice of many and wait a few weeks as I cannot risk any glitches there!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The upgrade went pretty well. It took me a while to get my wireless working again. I still have some wireless issues, but it seems to work for the most part. I haven't been able to get the dual monitor working right either, but I am sure it is just a matter of time before I figure that one out. Anyhow, it was a pretty good upgrade overall.

I am using:

Dell Latitude D620
    Intel Video Card
    2GB Ram
    Core2 Duo 1.66Ghz
    Dual Boot WinXP/Ubuntu 7.10

Beans

My machine:
    Toshiba Satellite 3005-S303, Nvidia GeForce2 Go video.

The Live CD doesn't fully work on my machine. It stalls with no video .
    I had no issues with the Live CD on Dapper, Edgy or Feisty. I'm investigating but this issue appears to be rampant on a multitude of systems. The fixes I'm seen aren't for the casual user. I'm under the impression they should have gotten this fixed before release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So far I have completed ten complete installs of Ubuntu 7.10 and have done one of the edubuntu 7.10. I also have done 2 upgrades. One to my server and one to my laptop. Nine of the ten complete installs went great, but I am having some issues with the last one I did. It was done on an HP laptop. Here is what happen.
    I booted from the live CD and started the install. Everything went well but it gave me a warning about not able to install security updates. I saw that it was not connecting to my wireless network. After correcting the problem I continued with the install. At that point it continued but did not install the security updates. After rebooting everything seem to work well, but when my friend took his laptop home it would not connect to the Internet.
    After he brought it back to me, I checked it on my wire from my router and found it would not work with DHCP on the wire connection. After taking it back to his house I found the same problem there. I had the ISP check his connection and I am planning to boot with the Live CD again this morning to see if the Live CD will see his Internet. If it does I thought about doing a re-install. If anyone knows of something else I could try please let me know?
    The only advice I would offer to anyone doing a complete new install is to check the Internet connection before starting the install. If I would have done this, I believe things might have gone much smoother on the last install I did. The only difference between the first nine installs was the fact that they were done on desktops and were on the wire not the wireless. After booting from the Live CD they all connected to the Internet before starting the install.

Irv
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

Upgrade generated many unbefore seen errors during process. After reboot needed to reinstall Nvidia driver (not unexpected) and Virtualbox, vmware, and several other small annoyances. Still having issues with virtualbox that haven't been resolved. Also having problems with compiz-fusion not running.

Page 49 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast