Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.04 unr

Beans

Smile 10.04 unr

I've just started using Ubuntu again, using 10.04 UNR.

I know it's not supported anymore, but I don't want to muck about with upgrading to 10.10, etc; because I just now got /etc/x11/xorg.conf the way it needs to be to work, with Vesa drivers permanent (yuck, right?) and the mouse registered and working, (it wasn't before). I don't think that 10.10 or 11.04 uses an xorg.conf, does it?

If it doesn't, and an upgrade would be unfeasible, then can I change the menu in 10.04 at all? Or add a menu? Because I find them frustrating. I dislike the tile-based menus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: 10.04 unr

Quote Originally Posted by 0DegreesKelvin View Post
    I've just started using Ubuntu again, using 10.04 UNR.

I know it's not supported anymore, but I don't want to muck about with upgrading to 10.10, etc; because I just now got /etc/x11/xorg.conf the way it needs to be to work, with Vesa drivers permanent (yuck, right?) and the mouse registered and working, (it wasn't before). I don't think that 10.10 or 11.04 uses an xorg.conf, does it?

If it doesn't, and an upgrade would be unfeasible, then can I change the menu in 10.04 at all? Or add a menu? Because I find them frustrating. I dislike the tile-based menus.
    Did you ever just try booting it from a live USB flash drive of Ubuntu 11.04 yet? Not change anything.. Just see if it works?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuxinstalledfromhdd View Post
    Did you ever just try booting it from a live USB flash drive of Ubuntu 11.04 yet? Not change anything.. Just see if it works?
    Not 11.04, but 10.10; If it means anything to you, this is a Dell Inspiron 2600. (The demonic opposing force to all version of Linux) And 10.10 didn't work, I had deleted the ISO in frustration and only had 10.04, so I just went straight to that and figured it out.

Beans
    Distro

Not 11.04, but 10.10; If it means anything to you, this is a Dell Inspiron 2600. (The demonic opposing force to all version of Linux)
    Try building a live stick of Ubuntu 11.04 and booting from it to see if the problem has been already addressed. And don't use 64-bit version. Use the 32-bit instead.

Beans

Try building a live stick of Ubuntu 11.04 and booting from it to see if the problem has been already addressed. And don't use 64-bit version. Use the 32-bit instead.
    Unfortunately, Dell Bios version A08 doesn't support USB, and I don't have a CD to put PloPP on. Do you know if XORG.conf will be used if I put it in /etc/x11?

Beans
    Distro

Interesting. I don't know an answer for that. Did you contact Dell to ask about a BIOS upgrade? They might have one.

Beans

Interesting. I don't know an answer for that. Did you contact Dell to ask about a BIOS upgrade? They might have one.
    Funny you should say that, I actually downgraded. Ubuntu doesn't work AT ALL if you use anything other than A08.

Beans
    Distro

Funny you should say that, I actually downgraded. Ubuntu doesn't work AT ALL if you use anything other than A08.
    I was under the impression lately that Dell ships their systems with Ubuntu if a user requests it. But some of their BIOS don't support Ubuntu? That's weird.

Beans

I was under the impression lately that Dell ships their systems with Ubuntu if a user requests it. But some of their BIOS don't support Ubuntu? That's weird.
    This is OOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDDD. Like 2003 old.

Beans
    Distro

Did you ever try a different disto like slackware or PCLinuxOS just to see if they worked or not?

There are older system that I couldn't install Ubuntu on, but PCLinuxOS worked great, for example.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast