Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unity, Gnome, KDE on multiple Desktops

Beans

Unity, Gnome, KDE on multiple Desktops

I'm new to linux and am currently running Ubuntu 11.10 with unity. I have heard a lot of talk about gnome vs. KDE vs. unity. Is it possible to have unity run in one desktop and gnome or KDE in another, so you can easily switch between them?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Unity, Gnome, KDE on multiple Desktops

Quote Originally Posted by sudo smith View Post
    I'm new to linux and am currently running Ubuntu 11.10 with unity. I have heard a lot of talk about gnome vs. KDE vs. unity. Is it possible to have unity run in one desktop and gnome or KDE in another, so you can easily switch between them?
    yeah of course you do have

to get Kubuntu desktop
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    to get Xubuntu desktop
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    to get Lubuntu Desktop
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

at login screen you can choose what desktop you want .
    all the best man .
    Last edited by raja.genupula; January 31st, 2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

No, but you can install all the different desktops, then pick which one you want when you log in.

The main drawback of doing this is that you end up installing all the default apps for each desktop, so you'll end up with several media players/browsers/image viewers/etc. In a menu-based desktop that can get pretty cluttered.

To install a desktop, install the metapackage:
    ubuntu-desktop
    kubuntu-desktop
    xubuntu-desktop
    lubuntu-desktop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

wouldn't it be better to install a KDE desktop instead of Kubuntu? I mean wouldnt' that reduce the chance of multiple applicaitons? if you installed 4 DE owuld that mean like 4 different power managers running at once when you login?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    wouldn't it be better to install a KDE desktop instead of Kubuntu? I mean wouldnt' that reduce the chance of multiple applicaitons?
    YES! Install KDE and Xfce4 from Software Centre, NOT xubuntu-desktop, etc. You will get tons of unwanted packages and apps if you do that. Choose the desktop environment you installed from 'Sessions' pop-up menu at login screen.

Don't know that you can do what you suggest unless you run the installs as virtual machines and have them all running at once, for which you will need a ton of RAM and a powerful processor if you are looking at running three or four installs simultaneously.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 31st, 2012 at 04:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi , yeah i am sorry .

as compare with my suggestion the above two posts are better .as they mentioned the desktops will installs their default applications and increase your file system weight. so instead of trying mine better to install only desktop environments as they mentioned .

thanks for the post @Bucky Ball ,@mastablasta .

All the best @op.
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Install KDE and Xfce4 from Software Centre
    What is getting installed in this case? Things called dependencies?

I didn't know this was possible. I installed the Edubuntu desktop once after installing Ubuntu, just to see, and never could get my desktop back to normal after, besides having my menus fill with programs.

Aren't their special programs that will be missing? My Firefox in my Gnome Ubuntu will work just as well if I start with a KDE desktop as Konqueror would? Is that correct?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you don't mind using some disk space that you can just reclaim easily, you can download and burn the "spins" of the different 'buntus and install them as virtual machines in VirtualBox. You could get the "whole experience" of each with its attendant apps and never have to leave the comfort of your primary DE.

If you decide you don't like something you just delete the virtual machine to reclaim your disk space. No partitioning required (except virtually in the virtual disk). The virtual disk is just a "file" like everything else. Throw it in the trash can if you want.

If you find you like a DE, just delete the virtual machine and add the DE to your primary.

No worries about cluttering or borking your primary by installing/uninstalling DEs. You can also test drive other Linux distros.
    Last edited by QIII; February 1st, 2012 at 01:42 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sanscents View Post
    What is getting installed in this case? Things called dependencies?

I didn't know this was possible. I installed the Edubuntu desktop once after installing Ubuntu, just to see, and never could get my desktop back to normal after, besides having my menus fill with programs.

Aren't their special programs that will be missing? My Firefox in my Gnome Ubuntu will work just as well if I start with a KDE desktop as Konqueror would? Is that correct?
    What that message trying to say is , it will install only the core packages which are needed to successfully run a Environment & not the applications those come along with the environment (you gonna have one application for one purpose in each environment eg: ubuntu browser -firefox , Kubuntu -Konquer) . you can run your firefox in kubuntu,ubuntu,lubuntu or xubuntu .

these Environments are GUI environments to make you interact with Core Ubuntu system .

in my consideration i will assume them as BODY-Ubuntu core, dresses - Gnome ,KDE,XFCE,LXDE .insert what ever you want to make it look like that . so if you go with these no applications of that environment , just a environment. if you want any application regarding that environment you can install it .

I hope that can help you .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raja.genupula View Post
    I hope that can help you .
    Yes, it does. Thanks! Like the default Ubuntu install should be called Gubuntu. If I remove Gnome, I will be in Ubuntu terminal, like the server version. Is that correct?

Edit - Or Gnubuntu,, or is that sacrilege?
    Last edited by sanscents; February 1st, 2012 at 03:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast