Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unity 7 is tentatively pegged to arrive on March 25th.

Beans

Re: Unity 7 is tentatively pegged to arrive on March 25th.

This is quite problematic area yes. Privacy. There is no easy answer here but i do imagine in general users would like to preserve as much privacy as they can but said that Google search is much used/loved service for example and we can't exactly say it provides much privacy.

About Unity 7 is this the last Unity based on Compiz and Unity 8 will be Qt/QML based or not?
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 18th, 2013 at 09:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

About privacy: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/03/u...ystem-settings which is a first step in the right direction and user privacy should be handled with the most respect. AFAIK unity 7 on top of compiz/X11 and UnityNext on top of MIR but this could be wrong as I do not track anymore bzr commits or follow enough the development of unity.

Beans

The thing is i like to use Ubuntu and i like privacy (as much as i can get it these days because it looks like privacy not just on Ubuntu is becoming the thing of the past). Ubuntu still offers me the level of privacy i choose and i think that is currently acceptable.

Where exactly (how far) is Ubuntu going with integration of services that take away a bit of privacy here and there and probably generate additional revenue streams i don't know. I guess we will just have to wait and see but i hope it will end up OK for privacy advocates and Ubuntu.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 18th, 2013 at 09:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Anybody that has security concerns, may want to read Michael's complete blog post, including the comments section.

Check it out here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Anybody that has security concerns, may want to read Michael's complete blog post, including the comments section.

Check it out here.
    hm, that url never been able to load; stucked with about:blank
    looks like that server is down right now
    Last edited by dino99; March 19th, 2013 at 08:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    hm, that url never been able to load; stucked with about:blank
    looks like that server is down right now
    It took a couple of minutes before the blog page loaded here, I just went off and looked at something else, until I saw that the page had finally loaded.

Basically what Michael says is that Ubuntu is designed to be easy to use by everyone, and if you have concerns about the security of lenses and scopes, Ubuntu may not be the right distribution for you.
    Last edited by cariboo; March 19th, 2013 at 04:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    It took a couple of minutes before the blog page loaded here, I just went off and looked at something else, until I saw that the page had finally loaded.

Basically what Michael says is that Ubuntu is designed to be easy to use by everyone, and if you have concerns about the security of lenses and scopes, Ubuntu may not be the right distribution for you.
    oh i see he's an other marketing dealer

Beans

this kind of information gathering is questionable
    Welcome to the Internet. Data mining and people tracking has been going on for a long time.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    Welcome to the Internet. Data mining and people tracking has been going on for a long time.
    Your OS isn't the internet. Having data mining regarding personal files (dash search) enabled by default shouldn't be acceptable to users, especially when the target audience for Ubuntu (non-geeks, average PC users) usually won't know better.

It's obviously just another income stream for Canonical, except it's being pegged as a revolutionary feature. The inclusion of the online search/privacy issues puts a damper on my view on Canonical, a corporation which I trusted in the past.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    Your OS isn't the internet. Having data mining regarding personal files (dash search) enabled by default shouldn't be acceptable to users, especially when the target audience for Ubuntu (non-geeks, average PC users) usually won't know better.

It's obviously just another income stream for Canonical, except it's being pegged as a revolutionary feature. The inclusion of the online search/privacy issues puts a damper on my view on Canonical, a corporation which I trusted in the past.
    Unity-tweak-tool can easily set those hidden optin/out (but you might know it first of course; meaning to be a geek )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast