Thread: 802.1x protected wired network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

802.1x protected wired network

Hi all, I am currently in Romania, staying with my wife's family, and I am trying to hook my laptop up to their internet so that I can get some work done while I am away.

They are not using a router, but instead are using an 802.1x protected wired network. I have a username and password, but when I plug in the ethernet cable, then click on the network, it shows a dialogue box with the following options...

Network Name
    EAP Method
    Phase 2 Type
    Identity
    Password
    Anonymous Identity
    Client Certificate File
    CA Certificate File
    Private Key File
    Private Key Password

Has anyone had any experience with this before? What options do I need to be filling in and which are optional? I have tried quite a few options, but nothing seems to work.. any advice would be great!

Thanks

Patrick

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 802.1x protected wired network

From my experiences with other networks, you can probably copy the first 3 entries from any other computer on the network, but you will need an identity and password assigned by the network administrator, unless you can substitute for one of your host's computers. The Private Key entries will be needed only if you wish to transfer files to the network server or to other computers on the network. I think the CA Certificate File and Client Certificate File are also used for the same purpose as the Private key, but as a Public Key.

The simplest solution on a temporary basis is to substitute for one of the existing computers with the same settings on your laptop.

cwsnyder

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Unhappy Re: 802.1x protected wired network

Quote Originally Posted by ozPATT View Post
    Hi all, I am currently in Romania, staying with my wife's family, and I am trying to hook my laptop up to their internet so that I can get some work done while I am away.

They are not using a router, but instead are using an 802.1x protected wired network. I have a username and password, but when I plug in the ethernet cable, then click on the network, it shows a dialogue box with the following options...

Network Name
    EAP Method
    Phase 2 Type
    Identity
    Password
    Anonymous Identity
    Client Certificate File
    CA Certificate File
    Private Key File
    Private Key Password

Has anyone had any experience with this before? What options do I need to be filling in and which are optional? I have tried quite a few options, but nothing seems to work.. any advice would be great!

Thanks

Patrick
    Same problem for me (from Ukraine): I have username and password but not able to connect to the private network with my ubuntu 8.04 laptop.
    From the windows XP computer, instead, inserting user e passw into the main connection window is enaugh.
    If anybody has advice please help me.