Thread: VPN and Internet Connection cannot Co-exist

Beans

VPN and Internet Connection cannot Co-exist

Hi,

I have a PPTP VPN setup at my office. I'm trying to connect to it from my house on Ubuntu 12.10 x64. I can successfully connect, however when I do, I can only access remote resources (devices on the VPN). I can't access the internet.

After some searching, I thought that if I checkded "Use this connection only for resources on its network" I would be set...that's not the case. When I checked this box, I was able to access the internet, but no remote resources.

I know the VPN server is set correctly because I can successfully connect in this manner using a Windows computer. I've attached outputs of the route command in the various scenarios.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (39.6 KB, 9 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (78.2 KB, 11 views)

Beans

Re: VPN and Internet Connection cannot Co-exist

I fixed it:

I had to check "Ignore automatically obtained routes" and "Use this connection only for resources on its network" in the VPN routes configuration and I had to manually add the route for the remote network:

sudo route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 74.7.X.X

Where 192.168.1.0 is the remote network and 74.7.X.X is the public IP of the remote network. After that it worked like a charm.

Beans

Smile Re: VPN and Internet Connection cannot Co-exist

Quote Originally Posted by rdp870 View Post
    I fixed it:

I had to check "Ignore automatically obtained routes" and "Use this connection only for resources on its network" in the VPN routes configuration and I had to manually add the route for the remote network:

sudo route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 74.7.X.X

Where 192.168.1.0 is the remote network and 74.7.X.X is the public IP of the remote network. After that it worked like a charm.
    This works, thanks