Thread: mp3 support amarok 11.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry mp3 support amarok 11.10

Good evening folks,

I recently installed kubuntu and have been by and large pleased with it, aside ofcourse from networking and ... sadly... now amarok.

I can't get it to play mp3. I think I've installed all the gstreamer plugins muon shows me. Amarok tries to install it itself, but when it lists the packages to be installed, the list is empty. It starts package manager, installs nothing, then complains again that it cant play mp3.

Can't even listen to the radio stations b.c of this...

mp4 seems to work fine if extensions are .mov. .m4a extension is not recognized by amarok, though it plays fine when finding it in dolphin and double clicking on it.

Any suggestions? I read on amarok's page that this stuff should install "perfectly" since v6.10... is there something wrong with my OS?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by BananaPeal; December 9th, 2011 at 05:03 AM. Reason: details on codecs that work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Lightbulb Re: mp3 support amarok 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPeal View Post
    I can't get it to play mp3. I think I've installed all the gstreamer plugins muon shows me. Amarok tries to install it itself, but when it lists the packages to be installed, the list is empty. It starts package manager, installs nothing, then complains again that it cant play mp3.
    Short answer: Software Center, select fluendo mp3 plugin.

Or you can go to Fluendo's site and download it for free (make sure to get the .deb file)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: mp3 support amarok 11.10

Fluendo Worked like a charm. Thanks!

I have a question still though, I tried installing an mp3 decoder called: libmpeg3-1

Code:
    LibMPEG3 decodes several MPEG standards into uncompressed data suitable for editing and playback. It currently decodes:

• MPEG-2 video
     • MPEG-1 video
     • mp3 audio
     • mp2 audio
     • ac3 audio
     • MPEG-2 transport streams
     • MPEG-2 program streams
     • MPEG-1 program streams
     • IFO files
    Why does fluendo work and this one not? I guess I mean to ask how do you know which one works with amarok?

Also, anyone know why .m4a doesn't show up in amarok's navigation, but works when selected thru dolphin?

Thanks for the insighsts, I'm just trying to wrap my head around why this works the way it does...

Banana
    Last edited by BananaPeal; December 9th, 2011 at 05:23 AM.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: mp3 support amarok 11.10

To get Amarok to play mp3 you have to install the package libxine1-ffmpeg. For other players installing the restricted-extras seems sufficient but Amarok is peculiar that way.

The fluendo thing is for DVD from what I understand.
    Last edited by beew; December 9th, 2011 at 05:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    To get Amarok to play mp3 you have to install the package libxine1-ffmpeg. For other players installing the restricted-extras seems sufficient but Amarok is peculiar that way.

The fluendo thing is for DVD from what I understand.
    Perhaps, but for now gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 works. I suppose the thing to take away from this is that not anything with "lib" and "mp3" in its name works as an mp3 codec.

Beans

Hmmm. I'm surprised that it didn't give you an option to install the decoders upon installation of Kubuntu.

Maybe it only does this in Ubuntu. Cause I was given that option when installing Ubuntu 11.10, and I chose it and all my stuff worked just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

it doesn't for wubi/cd install. I did the wubi install so that i can still boot win server 08. However, aside from minor office issues, I'm not seeing the point anymore...

Beans

I can also confirm that, at least for Amarok, this fluendo library worked like a charm...thanks!!!