Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible conflicting wireless cards

Beans

Possible conflicting wireless cards

Here's the problem. I have three laptops: HP G7 with broadcom 4313 (Ubuntu 12.04), HP Probook with broadcom 4313 (Mint 14), HP DV6000 with broadcom 4311 (Mint14). The G7 and DV6000 have no trouble. However the Probook is extremely slow on the internet, until I disconnect the G7. Then the probook connection works perfectly. The Probook and the G7 both have 4313 cards. I tried moving one to the other end of the house to see if it changed anything and it didn't. In the router they do have different IP addresses. Hope I explained this clearly because I could sure use some help to sort this out. Thanks. Almost forgot. All three are using bcmwl-kernel-source driver. AKA(wl.ko)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Possible conflicting wireless cards

Quote Originally Posted by jack454 View Post
    Here's the problem. I have three laptops: HP G7 with broadcom 4313 (Ubuntu 12.04), HP Probook with broadcom 4313 (Mint 14), HP DV6000 with broadcom 4311 (Mint14). The G7 and DV6000 have no trouble. However the Probook is extremely slow on the internet, until I disconnect the G7. Then the probook connection works perfectly. The Probook and the G7 both have 4313 cards. I tried moving one to the other end of the house to see if it changed anything and it didn't. In the router they do have different IP addresses. Hope I explained this clearly because I could sure use some help to sort this out. Thanks. Almost forgot. All three are using bcmwl-kernel-source driver. AKA(wl.ko)
    Off hand I would think you have a packet storm going on. The G7 might be flooding things? Go get Etherape or IPTraf and put it on the G7 machine. Then examine ...
    One thing you didn't say mention is if the ethernet is hard connected and not wirelessly connected? When you do, is the problem still there?
    Can you switch the wireless cards and see if the DV6000 then becomes the issue?
    Warprunner
    This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
    ...Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

Beans

All systems are using wireless. Haven't got a cable to try hard wiring, however I have tried a usb wireless on the G7 and everything works fine. The Probook connection is still Ok. Will have to try swapping the DV6000 and G7 cards. Thanks for the help so far.

Beans
    Distro

Without sounding too premature... sounds like that G7 has a bad card but will await your troubleshooting.
    Warprunner

Beans

Well I can't swap wireless cards among these laptops because HP whitelists the hardware and if it isn't the exact part number you get an error on boot. (Unsupported wireless device detected system halt) Isn't that nice of them? I for got to say the problem just started yesterday. These units have been sitting a few feet apart and working fine for weeks. Is it possible for a router to cause this? Thanks
    Last edited by jack454; January 31st, 2013 at 02:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Well I can't swap wireless cards among these laptops because HP whitelists the hardware and if it isn't the exact part number you get an error on boot. (Unsupported wireless device detected system halt) Isn't that nice of them? I for got to say the problem just started yesterday. These units have been sitting a few feet apart and working fine for weeks. Is it possible for a router to cause this? Thanks
    Ok here is a long shot... go here to see your channel of the G7 machines card.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/56622...and-or-channel

Then go here to change it:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1630584

I think the default is Auto select and as I said this is a long shot. But maybe, just maybe, they are talking on the same channel and somehow getting confused? (Said it was a long shot.)

Still think the best thing is to get an ethernet cable. They usually come with every machine.
    Last edited by Warprunner; January 31st, 2013 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Missed a link
    Warprunner

Beans

They are both on channel 6 and neither will change. I truly do thank you for your help. Gonna keep plugging away and maybe I'll get lucky.

Beans
    Distro

They are both on channel 6 and neither will change. I truly do thank you for your help. Gonna keep plugging away and maybe I'll get lucky.
    Ok, I am going to think about this tonight. I have two sons on the Air Force Base's Help Desk. Will ask them too.

If you do find a solution please post it here?
    Warprunner

Beans

If I stumble across anything I'll surely let you know. Thanks again for the help. Something I just noticed is when the G7's card is active none of the systems can see each other with samba.

Beans

Looks like the problem was caused by a recent update. Finally noticed the ubuntu system (G7) was using a newer version of the driver. Uninstalled it and replaced with the older version. Now all systems can surf with no problem. The G7 (Ubuntu) can see and connect to both Mint machines, but they can't see it. The mint machines can connect to ubuntu if I use it't IP address. So I'm almost back where I was before the problem. Guess it will do. Thanks for the help Warprunner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast