Thread: 8GB RAM seen as 2GB RAM

Beans

8GB RAM seen as 2GB RAM

Hello
    I have a HP dv7 new laptop with 64bit i7 processor and 8GB RAM. I have installed Ubuntu 10.10 (32bits). It sees only 2GB RAM when I check it from the command free -m.
    How can I enable my ubuntu to use the full 8GB RAM?

Beans

Re: 8GB RAM seen as 2GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicgr View Post
    Hello
    How can I enable my ubuntu to use the full 8GB RAM?
    Short answer is to install the 64 bit version of Ubuntu.

Long answer is that 32 bit operating systems will only recognize a maximum of 4GB of RAM, including your video RAM.

There is a 32-bit Linux kernel available that will recognize more than 4GB of RAM (it's called "bigmem" in Debian, not sure if there's a supported equivalent in Ubuntu). It's more of a kludge for older servers with a lot of system RAM, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Installing a 64 bit kernel is the best answer. If you don't want to do that you can install the PAE kernel. it's a surprise that the PAE kernel didn't install in any system with 4 GB RAM or more. In Synaptic type "pae" in the search box. You should find what you need. Wikipedia has a write-up on what PAE is, how it works and its limitations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

if you haven't got too much data on ubuntu, reinstalling the 64bit version of 10.04 or 11.04 would be the best choice. Otherwise you can try those other kernels.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@cosmicgr, welcome to the forum!

Even with the 32-bit version and the generic kernel (not the PAE one) your system should be seeing about 3.2GB of RAM, not 2GB. Check the BIOS to make sure all the 8GB is being seen by the BIOS.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Since you just installed Ubuntu, reinstall and use the 64-bit version. Seriously. The only thing you want to avoid is the version of Flash found in Ubuntu64's repo. Use this instead: https://launchpad.net/~sevenmachines/+archive/flash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by .... View Post
    Since you just installed Ubuntu, reinstall and use the 64-bit version. Seriously. The only thing you want to avoid is the version of Flash found in Ubuntu64's repo. Use this instead: https://launchpad.net/~sevenmachines/+archive/flash
    Or use our own LovingLinux' Firefox extension Flash-Aid. I've used it with good effect. You do need SUDO permission to run it.

Beans

Thank you all of you!
    I had to use some programs which run on 32bit only, so I could not install 64bit ubuntu. I'm already running 64bit Fedora for 64bit applications. This 32bit was for testing only.
    I have successfully installed the PAE kernel. It is now recognizing full 8GB RAM.
    Thanks once again for all your support!