Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is KVM's default bridge config?

Beans

Question Where is KVM's default bridge config?

Hi,

after installing KVM on Ubuntu 12.10, there is a default bridge virbr0 on the system. Where is the configuration file for that?

Reason I am asking: I am trying to get a handle on KVM and LXC and most of the guides mention to setup a bridge from scratch. Now I see the Ubuntu kvm package already added one for me, but it doesn't appear to have it's config anywhere in /etc.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Where is KVM's default bridge config?

I've never used the default bridge. I think it is user-mode, which means it will be VERY slow. I've always setup a bridge using brctl.

My manual bridge is setup in the normal /etc/network/interfaces file.

A quick 'find' found this file: /var/lib/libvirt/network/br1.xml
    It seems like what you seek, but it has warnings that you shouldn't be directly changing it. It says to use virsh net-edit br1.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I've never used the default bridge. I think it is user-mode, which means it will be VERY slow. I've always setup a bridge using brctl.

My manual bridge is setup in the normal /etc/network/interfaces file.

A quick 'find' found this file: /var/lib/libvirt/network/br1.xml
    It seems like what you seek, but it has warnings that you shouldn't be directly changing it. It says to use virsh net-edit br1.
    Thanks!

Did you install kvm from the Ubuntu repository? What did you do with the bridge virbr0 that the package created?

What's really odd is that even the official Ubuntu server documentation says that if you want to use bridged networking, you should create a bridge, yet the kvm package already creates one. It's not mentioned in the docs at all.

This really confuses me. I need to understand what exactly the kvm package installed and configured, so I can make educated decisions. Yet there is no documentation (or I am blind). The same thing is true for LXC by the way. It comes with a preconfigured bridge (lxcbridge0).

Beans

Ok, so I found some more information.

virbr0 is the default bridge in KVM. It's not usermode, it's a real bridge, and it does NAT for the guests. The backend is bridge-utils (aka Linux bridges).

Here is an article with some more info and how to disable it, if needed:
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-k...nat-interface/

The configuration resides in /etc/libvirt/qemu/networks/default.xml

The bridge can be configured with virsh.

This clears it up for me mostly. I posted it in case anyone else has the same questions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cryptochrome242 View Post
    Thanks!

Did you install kvm from the Ubuntu repository? What did you do with the bridge virbr0 that the package created?

What's really odd is that even the official Ubuntu server documentation says that if you want to use bridged networking, you should create a bridge, yet the kvm package already creates one. It's not mentioned in the docs at all.

This really confuses me. I need to understand what exactly the kvm package installed and configured, so I can make educated decisions. Yet there is no documentation (or I am blind). The same thing is true for LXC by the way. It comes with a preconfigured bridge (lxcbridge0).
    I ignore the NAT bridge. All my VMs are 1st class citizens on my network.
    I started with KVM more than a few yrs ago. Back then, it didn't do any bridging automatically and the defaults were user-mode tunnels. Also know that bridges are a security concern. You'll want to read up about them if you really care about VMs not seeing other VM traffic - ever. If you run all the VMs on a box, I don't know how much I'd worry.

It is good to see that they've improved it. KVM and all the support tools are improving fast. A few more years and nobody will need commercial virtualization tools at all.

Beans

Also know that bridges are a security concern. You'll want to read up about them if you really care about VMs not seeing other VM traffic - ever. If you run all the VMs on a box, I don't know how much I'd worry.
    Thanks. I am coming from a VMware background and the security issue is the same there. Common sense is needed when configuring virtual machines

Right now I am also struggeling with getting UFW firewall to work properly with KVM. As soon as I enable it, no more traffic passes the bridge. I am guessing that's a configuration issue, but since I am using defaults from Ubuntu, I would suspect they would make it work out of the box. Do you have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cryptochrome242 View Post
    Thanks. I am coming from a VMware background and the security issue is the same there. Common sense is needed when configuring virtual machines

Right now I am also struggeling with getting UFW firewall to work properly with KVM. As soon as I enable it, no more traffic passes the bridge. I am guessing that's a configuration issue, but since I am using defaults from Ubuntu, I would suspect they would make it work out of the box. Do you have any experience with this?
    Well, it IS a firewall. If you enable it, it blocks all traffic. That is what it should do. If you want something opened, then open it in the config - BEFORE enabling the firewall. The man page for ufw is pretty simple.

Which VMware? ESX, ESXi or one of their toys?

Beans

Well, it IS a firewall. If you enable it, it blocks all traffic. That is what it should do. If you want something opened, then open it in the config - BEFORE enabling the firewall. The man page for ufw is pretty simple.

Which VMware? ESX, ESXi or one of their toys?
    ESXi, vSphere etc.

Sure it is a firewall. But even if you allow some traffic, it won't pass it on a bridge. It's a documented "bug". You need to add some stuff to sysctl.conf to make iptables recognize the bridge interfaces (documented here: http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Network...terface_config and here: launchpad bug number 573461 as well as several blogs). Oddly enough, it's been like this since 10.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ah, so you are running the firewall on the hostOS?
    I use firewalls inside the guests, if I can't block the traffic upstream at the reverse proxy or inside the network equipment.

I'd assumed that doing it on the hostOS would likely fail and didn't have time to try it out.

Networking capabilities is where F/LOSS virtualization tools really need help to catch up with VMware. I think all the parts are there, just not packaged into a cohesive result.

Beans

Ah, so you are running the firewall on the hostOS?
    I use firewalls inside the guests, if I can't block the traffic upstream at the reverse proxy or inside the network equipment.

I'd assumed that doing it on the hostOS would likely fail and didn't have time to try it out.

Networking capabilities is where F/LOSS virtualization tools really need help to catch up with VMware. I think all the parts are there, just not packaged into a cohesive result.
    Agreed. Networking needs some improvements here. Open vSwitch looks interesting, but doesn't really address what we were discussing.

Yes, I am running the firewall on the host, not the guests.

I only have one (rented) server with one IP address (it's just a personal lab setup), so I need to masquerade outgoing guest traffic and NAT/portforward incoming stuff to the guests. That's what I am currently trying to get a grip on.

Unfortunately Ubuntu's UFW in it's current state seems to completely ignore the fact that KVM and bridging exists On the other hand, it's probably designed for simple setups, not for advanced networking stuff. Let's see what 13.04 brings onto the table.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast