Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saucy screensaver

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Saucy screensaver

mc4man, if it is not too much trouble I would very much appreciate learning how to do the steps above to fix this problem.
    I like learning new things and you'll only have to tell me once.
    Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    mc4man, if it is not too much trouble I would very much appreciate learning how to do the steps above to fix this problem.
    I like learning new things and you'll only have to tell me once.
    Thanks
    Sorry - i was involved in seeing if I like this change to ambiance (dark toolbars all around) & how much work it would be to keep reverting if I don't.
    (actually don't like in nautilus, prefer just dark window deco & to color toolbar & sidebar the same. Oh well...

I wanted to test a bit on the removing of the dep & actual removal of gnome-screensaver, doesn't seem to be any issue.
    Actually went ahead & built a patched gnome-panel in my saucy testing ppa but it'll not be suitable for you as you're using a gnome-panel .deb that was was attached to a bug report & in the case of ppa all panel packages must be updated
    (if you know of the patch to fix white panels post a link ..

So anyway -
    to do manually & just edit gnome-flashback's control file

Thread with script - you'll want to use the one in post 4 as it uses gedit
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=636724

You don't have to do this way - just easier for me to relay
    (you could just use a command of
    /path/to/scriptname /path/to/exact/packagename

Code:
    mkdir -p ~/bin && gedit ~/bin/editdeb
    copy & paste script into gedit from post 4, save, close gedit (make sure you get the whole script
    Code:
    chmod u+x ~/bin/editdeb
    Do a restart to add ~/bin to your path

Now open a terminal & run
    editdeb /path/to/exactnameofdebianpackage

Easiest is to just type editdeb in terminal, hit spacebar. Locate the .deb in nautilus & drag & drop the .deb on to terminal. Then click on terminal to return focus, hit enter to run.

gedit should open with the .deb's control file.
    On the Depends: line remove gnome-screensaver, see screen (leave a single space between Depends: gnome-settings-daemon.., screen 2.

If desired to prevent an upgrade back to repo version append a .1 to Version: 1:3.6.2-0ubuntu11 or whatever yours is, again see screen 2

Then save gedit & close, there should be a new .deb in your home folder, install with dpkg

Ex. of what I see in terminal here, start to finish -
    $ editdeb '/var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11_all.deb'

** (gedit:7501): WARNING **: Could not load Gedit repository: Typelib file for namespace 'GtkSource', version '3.0' not found
    Building new deb...
    dpkg-deb: warning: '/tmp/deb.xohTsJGax4/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined field 'Original-Maintainer'
    dpkg-deb: warning: ignoring 1 warning about the control file(s)

dpkg-deb: building package `gnome-session-flashback' in `gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11.1_all.modfied.deb'.
    Do note that editing a .deb is not always a good idea, in this case is ok, rebuilding source is usually preferred
    (hopefully you'll have no issue doing this while using that ppa modded .deb's, let me know...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; August 3rd, 2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: spell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Actually went ahead & built a patched gnome-panel in my saucy testing ppa but it'll not be suitable for you as you're using a gnome-panel .deb that was was attached to a bug report & in the case of ppa all panel packages must be updated
    (if you know of the patch to fix white panels post a link ..
    Attached zip archive with patch.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Mc4man, I'm a little confused on where the deb is. It is not in /var/cache/apt/archives/ like one would think.

Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ apt-cache policy gnome-session-flashback
    gnome-session-flashback:
      Installed: 1:3.6.2-0ubuntu11
      Candidate: 1:3.6.2-0ubuntu11
      Version table:
     *** 1:3.6.2-0ubuntu11 0
            500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy/universe amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    That status file is just a long text file with some of the same stuff from your picture but it is not the deb.
    I wonder why I do not have the .deb file?

Also here is the bug for the white panel problem and towards the bottom is albertsmuktupavels's fix for it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-panel/+bug/1196177

Which I might say works great if you install both deb packages at the same time.

Beans

Mc4man, I'm a little confused on where the deb is. It is not in /var/cache/apt/archives/ like one would think.
    Did you browse to /var/cache/apt/archives/ & confirm it's not there ? (as I mentioned DnD is easier than typing name correctly..
    If not there then just re-install & it will show up
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-session-flashback

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Did you browse to /var/cache/apt/archives/ & confirm it's not there ? (as I mentioned DnD is easier than typing name correctly..
    If not there then just re-install & it will show up
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-session-flashback
    That worked and I was able to edit it too. But, I got this in terminal
    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:/var/cache/apt/archives$ editdeb '/var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11_all.deb'

** (gedit:2918): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-TXTT1FsTwZ: Connection refused
    Not modfied.
    I had to "save as" gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11_all.deb in my home directory.

Then trying to install the deb I got this:
    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ sudo dpkg -i gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11_all.deb
    dpkg-deb: error: `gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11_all.deb' is not a debian format archive
    dpkg: error processing gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11_all.deb (--install):
     subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11_all.deb
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$
    Thinking is is a permissions or ownership issue I chmod and chown them to be the same root:
    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ ls -l /var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11_all.deb /home/cavsfan/gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11_all.deb
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1271 Aug  3 14:43 /home/cavsfan/gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11_all.deb
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 71026 Jun 21 00:35 /var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11_all.deb
    Yet I still get the same error.

Thanks for you help and patience!

Beans

You do Not want to be at a /var/apt/... prompt when running the script, just open a terminal at your normal user prompt.
    Refer back to what I posted "Ex. of what I see in terminal here, start to finish - " & orig. instr.

Now open a terminal & run
    editdeb /path/to/exactnameofdebianpackage

Easiest is to just type editdeb in terminal, hit spacebar. Locate the .deb in nautilus & drag & drop the .deb on to terminal. Then click on terminal to return focus, hit enter to run.

gedit should open with the .deb's control file.
    If you look at what you posted in first code box it says "not modified" (you don't have permission to do so at that prompt.

Technically you don't even need the script, I thought it would be easier, do you want to abandon it??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I am not sure what to do.

I deleted the .deb file from my home directory and tried it again from the home directory:
    Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ editdeb '/var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11_all.deb'
    Not modfied.
    It still opens the file up in gedit but it changes the name to "control" and it is my tmp directory. That is why I said I had to "save as" to get it to my home directory.

I didn't do anything except reboot to put that script in my PATH. That seemed to be what you told me to do. Was that wrong? Should I have done something else to put it in my PATH?

Beans

I am not sure what to do.

It still opens the file up in gedit but it changes the name to "control" and it is my tmp directory. That is why I said I had to "save as" to get it to my home directory.
    It's not changing the .deb to "control", it's opening the control file in gedit so you can edit it. (the whole point of this endeavor
    So to repeat -
    when the control file opens in gedit, edit it as i mentioned & showed in the 2 screenshots.
    After editing the control file in gedit, save (just save, nothing else.
    Then close gedit & the new "gnome-session-flashback_1%3a3.6.2-0ubuntu11.1_all.modfied.deb" will be created & saved to your home folder ready to be installed with dpkg.
    Maybe go back & read my post & look at the screens...

Beans

Maybe this will help
    Code:
    wget http://ubuntuone.com/6SkxW3cqYHWg6LQGRdWtc0
    Play it in totem, vlc, whatever (fullscreen would be better

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast