Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nautilus too slow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Nautilus too slow

My nautilus is running very slow especially opening some particular folders. Let me explain in detail.
    If I try to open the Music folder from the links on the left panel, it will be lightning fast. The same thing, if I tried to open from browsing my home folder will take some time.
    Another example- When I try to open my Windows/Program files folder then nautilus is not able to open it only....it freezes and then I have to do a force quit. Same thing if I open it through terminal saying "nautilus /media/sda2/Program\ Files/", it will take time but will atleast open the folder.
    I tried switching to nautilus elementary, but no use.
    Also, i turned off the thumbnail view, preview and all the fancy features that nautilus provides, but still no use.
    Please, help. If nothing else, is there any way that I can reset my nautilus to its original state? (without reinstalling Ubuntu of course). The reason is I dont want to switch fron nautilus...
    Last edited by pranavk_uict; December 12th, 2010 at 06:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Exclamation Re: Nautilus too slow

I too have noticed that it takes too long to open certain folders.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Lightbulb Re: Nautilus too slow

Consider deleting:
    Code:
    .gnome
    .gnome2
    .gconf
    .gconfd
    .metacity
    This will reset GNOME to its default but it did solve the slow opening of folders.
    Last edited by Rytron; January 16th, 2011 at 07:26 PM.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Lightbulb Re: Nautilus too slow

Remember to log out and back in again for the changes to take effect.
    Last edited by Rytron; January 16th, 2011 at 07:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Nautilus too slow

Quote Originally Posted by Rytron View Post
    Consider deleting:
    Code:
    .gnome
    .gnome2
    .gconf
    .gconfd
    .metacity
    This will reset GNOME to its default but it did solve the slow opening of folders.
    but will deleting these folders will delete my other settings like some nautilus plugins that I have installed? Deleting these folders will remove all my customizations made in the appearance of my desktop look....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by pranavk_uict View Post
    but will deleting these folders will delete my other settings like some nautilus plugins that I have installed? Deleting these folders will remove all my customizations made in the appearance of my desktop look....
    Yes, most likely. Try moving them instead of deleting them. If it solves the speed problem, then you can try to compare the two sets of folders for differences, and try to isolate the problem that way. And if it doesn't solve the problem, delete the new instances and move your old stuff back.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans

I read on another thread that this may be a problem with appmenu-gtk. I fixed the problem of slow nautilus by uninstalling this package and restarting nautilus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Question Re: Nautilus too slow

Quote Originally Posted by anoop999 View Post
    I read on another thread that this may be a problem with appmenu-gtk. I fixed the problem of slow nautilus by
    uninstalling this package and restarting nautilus.
    Thank you anoop999 for the tip. What exactly is appmenu-gtk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thank you guys for your help. But I seemed to have figured out the problem.
    I tried removing the package "python-nautilus", and now everything is back to normal.....
    I was using that package for a nautilus plugin to enqueue songs to rhythmbox but I figured that it could be done using nautilus actions also.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Re: Nautilus too slow

I'm having the same speed problems with Nautilus. I removed the python-nautilus package and the problem persists. Appmenu-gtk is not installed in my system. It's worth noting that running Nautilus as root it performs very fast (I guess something around 10 times faster). I don't really understand why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast