Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Beans

Re: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

BTW I'll probably work on the full rewrite in Ubuntu +1 and it will hopefully show all DE and window manager options with a brief explanation of the differences between not only the DE's but also the various window managers

It's a daunting task but I'd rather like that to be my last and greatest contribution to Ubuntu. Rather a FUD crusher that can easily be wikified so it can be edited forever

Beans
    Hidden!

That's a good idea. Good luck kansasnoob

Beans

OK, I've tested enough now to say with certainty that nothing has changed since Quantal regarding the tweaks needed to make this work in Raring but there are many things users of this session need to know about.

Probably most importantly users should know that the "Gnome Classic" and "Gnome Classic (no effects)" sessions have been renamed to "Gnome Fallback" and "Gnome Fallback (no effects)" in Raring. This was done because a new Gnome Classic session is coming to Gnome version 3.8 and beyond, but the new session uses the Mutter window manager rather than Metacity.

In other news the future of this "fallback" session is no longer in doubt because Edubuntu dev has agreed to continue supporting 'metacity', 'gnome-panel', and the other components needed to make this session work

In yet other news I now more strongly than ever recommend staying with Precise because interim release support has been reduced to 9 months rather than the customary 18 months, whereas LTS releases will be supported for 5 years, and the LTS point releases will include kernel and "x-stack" updates in order to support the latest hardware.

But the news just keeps coming ................ Ubuntu GNOME has now been accepted as an official Ubuntu flavor. It's too soon to tell for sure but I suspect that it may be somewhat preferable to begin with a clean installation of Ubuntu GNOME going forward from 14.04 ............ but we'll have to wait and see
    Last edited by kansasnoob; May 27th, 2013 at 06:22 PM.

Beans

I just downloaded and installed Ubuntu GNOME 13.04.
    The UI is just as awful as Unity (or to put it another way just as bad as Windows Metro).
    Is there a current UBUNTU distribution with a normal desktop without the ALASKA sized Icons "only" needed by small touch screen systems ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Balentine View Post
    I just downloaded and installed Ubuntu GNOME 13.04.
    The UI is just as awful as Unity (or to put it another way just as bad as Windows Metro).
    Is there a current UBUNTU distribution with a normal desktop without the ALASKA sized Icons "only" needed by small touch screen systems ?
    Well Ubuntu GNOME uses the 'gnome-shell' DE by default, but it can also be converted to use the 'gnome-fallback (no effects)' DE. But 13.04 (Raring) was the first official release of Ubuntu GNOME and it's only supported for 9 months. You should take a look at my Raring notes here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post12665934

I personally plan on sticking with Precise until 14.04.1 drops in August 2014, but there are also the other Ubuntu flavors; Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.

Beans

Is there a way to add a directory in the left panel for your files? Currently, it's under accessories > files.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Just drag it there from the menu (works with most menu items if not all) until you see the plus sign

Beans

Thumbs up Re: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Thanks for this, Kansasnoob. It worked a treat.

Beans

Today my new computer arrived. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 32-bits, and now want to change from Unity to Gnome (no effects).
    I followed the first two steps of the lengthy wiki tutorial from Cortman, but after switching users and choosing Gnome Classic (no effects) I am still stuck with the Unity interface.

I even restarted the computer, but to no avail.

Has something been changed so you cannot change away from Unity?
    Should this tutorial be updated?

Your help will be appreciated.

Hans

Beans
    Hidden!

I used this tutorial recently to make two tarballs for the One Button Installer, and it worked well. I'm rather sure that it still works well. I used the 'mega-command' at
    I also want to use the Zukitwo-Dust gtk theme and change the cursor and icon themes as described here (three commands):
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:caffeine-developers/ppa -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexmurray/indicator-sensors -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes -y && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-panel indicator-applet indicator-applet-session shiki-colors-metacity-theme caffeine indicator-sensors zukitwo-theme-all zukitwo-colors-theme -y && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_run_dialog" --type string "<Alt>F2" && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled false && gsettings set com.ubuntu.update-notifier auto-launch false && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/general/button_layout" --type string ":minimize,maximize,close" && gconftool-2 -s --type string /apps/metacity/general/theme Shiki-Colors-Metacity && echo export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0 >> ~/.xprofile && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface menus-have-icons true && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface buttons-have-icons true && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true && gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop volumes-visible true && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme Zukitwo-Dust && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme ubuntu-mono-dark && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-theme DMZ-White

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast