Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Live CD stalls at black screen - 10.04 Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Live CD stalls at black screen - 10.04 Lucid

I'm trying to do a clean install of 10.04 Lucid Lynx using the Live CD onto a Toshiba Satellite M35X-S309 laptop.

I boot from the CD, it goes through the startup process, gets passed the 'Ubuntu' screen with the progress dots and then hangs on a black screen right after. There is no more CD activity and it doesn't seem responsive to any input.

I have checked the media from the 10.04 CD boot menu and it checks fine. I have tried both the standard Ubuntu and also the Kubuntu discs and both hang in the exact same spot. I tried both discs on other computers and they boot fine and get me to a working desktop.

I had this machine working just fine with 9.10, but borked it when trying to do an update install.

Here are the specs for the laptop:

Toshiba Satellite M35X-S309
    Intel Pentium M
    1gb RAM
    60GB HD, DVD/CD-RW,
    Intel 1394abg wireless
    Intel 855GME video

Maybe it's something obvious. I'm thinking it's choking on the graphics, but I really don't know for sure.
    Last edited by bumblestiltskin; May 4th, 2010 at 04:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Live CD stalls at black screen - 10.04 Lucid

like you i think thats a graphic issue, try to boot with video=vesa on the boot line

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by bumblestiltskin View Post
    I'm trying to do a clean install of 10.04 Lucid Lynx using the Live CD onto a Toshiba Satalitte M35X-S309 laptop.

I boot from the CD, it goes through the startup process, gets passed the 'Ubuntu' screen with the progress dots and then hangs on a black screen right after. There is no more CD activity and it doesn't seem responsive to any input.

I have checked the media from the 10.04 CD boot menu and it checks fine. I have tried both the standard Ubuntu and also the Kubuntu discs and both hang in the exact same spot. I tried both discs on other computers and they boot fine and get me to a working desktop.

I had this machine working just fine with 9.10, but borked it when trying to do an update install.

Here are the specs for the laptop:

Toshiba Satellite M35X-S309
    Intel Pentium M
    1gb RAM
    60GB HD, DVD/CD-RW,
    Intel 1394abg wireless
    Intel 855GME video

Maybe it's something obvious. I'm thinking it's choking on the graphics, but I really don't know for sure.
    This is an issue alot of people have been having. When you boot the liveCD, select your language and highlight but DONT hit enter the "Try Ubuntu Without Installing" option. Then, hit ESC and look for the line that ends in:
    Code:
    ro quiet splash
    and change it to:
    Code:
    ro i915.modeset=0
    For other users who see this thread, the above applies to an intel graphics device. If you are using an Nvidia card you would do:
    Code:
    ro nomodeset
    instead of:
    Code:
    ro i915.modeset=0
    To the OP, I cant gaurantee this will work- it does for some and not for others. It doesnt work for me- I installed 10.04 with the alternate CD and chrooted into the install to make these changes (nomodeset works, but for some reason NOT when I just edit the grub boot line- makes no sense to me).

As dino99 suggested, you can try:
    xdriver=vesa
    after whatever modeset option you use.
    Stop Trusted Computing! http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+
    2x150GB 10krpm HD/2x1TB 7200RPM HD/3ware RAID/
    Xubuntu 11.04/Arch Linux/Gentoo Linux/Fedora

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The ubuntu proper live cd jumps straight to the splash when installing (no language select or option screen). I can't figure how to get to the boot options in it.

BUT... The Kubuntu cd is setup like the installs I'm used to. I chose my language and highlighted the 'Try Kubuntu without installing' option. Hitting escape takes me to the command line "boot:" prompt. Unfortunately, I don't know what to put in ahead of the i915.modeset=0 command to boot the kernel...

BUT... Hitting F6 on the options screen pops up a boot options line on the options screen, which I can edit. It reads:

Code:
    file=/cdrom/preseed/kubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --
    I tried replacing the 'quiet splash' at the end with 'ro 915.modeset=0', 'video=vesa' and 'xdriver=vesa', but it still hangs on a black screen.

Maybe I'm entering the mode options in the wrong spot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Anyone else have an idea how to get beyond the black screen?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes!!! It worked for me at least.

Just to be clear, this is only for the LiveCD and getting to the desktop in 10.4

Once there I am not sure what you would have to do if you install and want to make this a permanent install.

So, here we go:

Put the LiveCD in and boot up;

when you see the Ubuntu logo hit Enter;

Choose language and leave the default Try as a live cd or whatever it says again;

Important: hit F6 and then Esc to see the boot line

file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --

Now, again this is important, move the cursor backwards and remove quiet splash;

Add the following parameters in this order:

xforcevesa noapic noapci nosplash irqpoll

In other words, the boot should look like this:

file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz xforcevesa noapic noapci nosplash irqpoll --

Now hit Enter and hopefully you will be at the desktop admiring Lucid Lynx 10.04

As I said this is only good for the LiveCD and I do not know where to go from here for a permanent install.

Please note that this worked for me after much frustration and looking around for solutions.

So, how did I get here?

I downloaded the latest RC of LinuxMint, based of course on Lucid. The first attempt failed as it had done for Ubuntu. Then I restarted and used Compatibility Mode; which worked!
    Then I went to the syslinux.cfg file, looked at the parameters for compatibility mode and used them on the Ubuntu boot; and voila!

Good luck and I really hope this works for others who, like me, have been having this issue.
    Just to be clear, I have an Intel graphics card i8xx series about which the release notes speak as being a known bug in 10.04.
    Last edited by Rubi1200; July 17th, 2010 at 06:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I want to add that I used UNetbootin to load the LinuxMint RC onto a USB drive and it is from there that I was able to look at the syslinux.cfg file that UNetbootin uses to store the boot parameters.
    I also removed one of the parameters because I didn't think it was relevant.
    Again, I hope this works for some people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I know that machines with Intel graphics i85x etc have had problems with the latest kernel 2.6.32-21 for Lucid. The Beta 1 and Beta 2 releases had ealier kernels and worked ok.
    The problem seems to be an interaction between the Kernel Mode Setting.

There are some workarounds for installed systems on:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes

I did not manage to get Lucid final running on one of my test systems and had to install with Beta 2, upgrade, and apply the first workaround mentioned on the link above. Sorry I have no better answer and I am upset with this serious problem on a Lon term Support release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

To get the normal menu hit any key as soon as the splash screen appears. See forum sticky re lucid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks everyone for the possible solutions for getting the CD to boot. Before the replies came through, I decided try a clean 9.10 install and then upgrade to 10.04. I know this didn't work great last time, but that 9.10 install had been on there several months, with lots of package installs, removals and upgrades. I figured this way would be a lot more straight forward for the upgrade installer.

Quote Originally Posted by Macchi View Post
    I did not manage to get Lucid final running on one of my test systems and had to install with Beta 2, upgrade, and apply the first workaround mentioned on the link above. Sorry I have no better answer and I am upset with this serious problem on a Lon term Support release.
    Thanks much for the info. After the upgrade install finishes, I'll try the first solution and re-enable KMS. Hopefully that will do the trick. I'll know in about a half-hour or so.

I also think it's pretty frustrating that this was an issue in the LTS. There are so many odd and half backed items included in the LTS this time around. Dropping support for a popular Intel graphics chipset is not one of the things that should have been done. If this were a normal six-month refresh, it might be okay, if were to later be fixed with an update. But this is the LTS which a lot of users choose so we don't need to go through the upgrade cycle in another six months. The energy that was put into getting some of the questionable items together in time for this LTS, could have been put toward fixing items like the chipset issue and others that have crept up. The way I view the LTS is it's supposed to be a rock-solid release that is fine tuned for committed deployment. For me it's been frustrating, and somewhat embarrassing, as I've been touting this version to people as THE ONE to settle on or try out for Ubuntu. I think 9.l0 would have made a better LTS now that I've had a chance to play with 10.04.

Sorry for the rant. I'll post back with an update on how the workaround went after the upgrade finishes.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast