Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to ubuntu forum intro

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: new to ubuntu forum intro

I honestly think you two would enjoy building an Arch Linux together, it's much more fulfilling and not too difficult!
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans

Its educational purposes to learn the basis of how Ubuntu works its structoral basis and get a understanding of using programming in linux by building the code from scratch

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nasweitzer View Post
    Its educational purposes to learn the basis of how Ubuntu works its structoral basis and get a understanding of using programming in linux by building the code from scratch

Then maybe try and get an older release of Ubuntu, things get kinda weird after 11.04, it's easier to work with gnome 2
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans

my dad said to use minimal

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Your sentiments are laudable, but what you are trying to do is akin to setting out to build a spaceship from scratch. Would suggest that you start with a more attainable goal first. Then go from there. I would second the recommendation to start with minimal install, learn package structure, file structure, dependencies, command line tools, etc before launching for the stars.

Beans
    Hidden!

my dad said to use minimal
    Is it possible that all your Dad meant was to install just enough to do what you need to do with the system? It's possible to do that without mucking around with compiling from source.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett926 View Post
    Then maybe try and get an older release of Ubuntu, things get kinda weird after 11.04, it's easier to work with gnome 2
    thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett926 View Post
    A minimal install is the same no matter which version, I would say use either the latest version (12.10) or the latest LTS (12.04). If you're installing from a minimal base then you have the choice of multiple DEs, I would suggest experimenting with several, as it shows off the modularity concept.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12