View Poll Results: Does Joost run?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, everything works (even if it's slow).

49 30.25%
  • No, video doesn't work.

16 9.88%
  • No, sound doesn't work.

14 8.64%
  • No, fonts don't work.

3 1.85%
  • No, Something else doesn't work (pleas post)

18 11.11%
  • No, nothing works.

69 42.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Joost (with sound)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Joost (with sound)

Dell XPS m140
    Pentium M (Centrino) 1.73 GHz
    512mb DDR2 PC2-5300
    Intel 915 Series Integrated Graphics Processor
    Last edited by ZeroXR; May 18th, 2007 at 01:14 AM.

Beans

i picked up envy for ATI's latest driver efforts, and i still having a bash at getting "beryl" to do it's magic with my Xpress 200M X700 laptop. week 1 of feisty is going quite well. until then, i thought i try to get some other apps working, photoshop, WoW, premiere and some dvd apps (CFosSpeed or even a heads-up network display would be good too. maybe a sexier gkrellm)

. i had a look at the GIT repository, and have to say the codebase is just a lot less usable. i could not compile the GIT version, nor was i interested in finding a way to revert the date to one which it would compile. perhaps a linking/dependency bug on my side, no matter. iĺl stick with the deb svn + OSS patches copy for now.

are people still offering invites for joost ? i love to see what all the fuss is about.

if you have the time, send one to hugmyciaalien@gmail.com and iĺl send one along to whomever wants one. (passing forwards or some such)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Aleck79 View Post
    yeah same here... it seems that the non-beta drivers don't seem to want to show anything other than a black screen. however, with the beta drivers it all works pretty decent.
    How can I do this? I tried this howto, but with the drivers linked by georgie, and I can't get it work. They are installed, but I have no acceleration... Any clue?

Quote Originally Posted by toliman View Post
    are people still offering invites for joost ? i love to see what all the fuss is about.
    You can invite yourself: http://joost.com/presents/gigaom-newteevee/

Beans

I followed directions, but having severe issues with Joost. Sound is stuttery/garbled/skipping, and no video at all.

The on-screen interface appeared once for me on my first try, but since it won't at show up at all, and whenever I log-in, I have to re-enter username/pw, and profile, and it immediately starts playing the same audio, but it's all craptastic.

Ubuntu 7.04, 6800GT using Nvidia drivers acquired with Add/Remove, Creative Xmod USB sound, Intel Pentium D 805 @ 3 GHz, 2GB DDR400.

I tried using Metacity instead of Beryl, no change, as well as various sound settings in winecfg. I noticed sometimes OSS doesn't show a Wave Out, but when it does it shows USBMixer. The other drivers show something else, and don't seem to work. Emulation is on, and sample rate and bit width don't seem to help.

In terminal I get a lot of these type of messages:
    fixme:dsoundSOUND_MixOne problem with underrun detection (mixlen=1752 < primary_done=5280)

and

fixme:font:GetCharacterPlacementW flags 0x00000132 ignored

The numbers vary.
    Last edited by capran; May 18th, 2007 at 06:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

ZeroXR:
    I know that Joost used to not work with the 915 chipset; that might be causing it, but I thought they fixed it. I can't seem to find the discussion of that, but the problem is that Joost wants to see a minimum of 512mb of ram, and another 32mb of video memory; the intel chipset uses regular ram as video memory, it just reserves some of it. Usually joost just ends in an error if this is the case, but I think the problem was that it didn't do this all the time; unfortunately I think they fixed it using driver access through a DLL, but wine doesn't use windows drivers, it uses the drivers of the host system.

Basically, I'm trying to say that I think it's your graphics card, and I don't know how to fix it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

In my case the following font package installation was not enough:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts
    However I could fix this by copying the installed mstt-fonts to the my private windows directory.
    Code:
    cp /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/* ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have the same problem with black video screen after the login, but I can hear the sound.

My Graphic card is Nvidia 440 Go 64. The latest beta driver doesn't support mycard so I got to stick with older driver and a black screen.

At least I tried and I did what I could not run Run Joost on Windows (TM).

B.T.W. I never installed any qt related packages (listed in the HOWTO), I don't know if they had any effect but hey I am i GTK guy.
    Last edited by tetralis; May 18th, 2007 at 10:15 PM. Reason: missing info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

mikewitt: That's unfortunate, as my desktop machine is in pieces... so definitely a blow to me being on a laptop. =(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I followed your guide (which was great, btw) and installed everything just fine. The only change I had to make was where it says "cd .wine/c_drive" I had to enter "cd .wine/drive_c". For whatever reason mine was setup that way. Anyway, I'm having the stuttering sound/audio problem as well. Here are my specs.

Dell Inspiron 9300 (laptop)
    1.73 Intel Pentium M
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 (driver version 1.0-9755)
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS (external sound card)
    512mb RAM
    Ubuntu 7.04

I do get picture, but the sound and video stutter. I noticed this in the terminal while running Joost. I don't know if it means anything (still a little new to the more advanced, technical aspects), but it didn't really look good.
    Code:
    fixme:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne problem with underrun detection (mixlen=3230 < primary_done=3232)
    fixme:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne problem with underrun detection (mixlen=3230 < primary_done=3232)
    fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x1003e, 0x1631a8): stub
    And so on. Any thoughts? I hope this is of some help to someone.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

It doesnt seam to work for me, Iv followed the instructions and patched the version retreived by git and all. The install sayed i have 0mb video memory but allowed me to continue. Then running the app i get the following error message:

Code:
    fixme:midi:OSS_MidiInit Synthesizer supports MIDI in. Not yet supported.
    err:module:import_dll Library wined3d.dll (which is needed by L"c:\\windows\\system32\\d3d9.dll") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library d3d9.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Joost\\xulrunner\\tvpcsi.dll") not found
    fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x7de53958, overlapped 0x7de5393c): stub
    d3d9.dll is in place, but wined3d.dll is nowhere on my system. As for the whole OSS thing, i dont seam to have any optiuon to use anything else for some reason. Thankfully everything else i use wine for doesnt have a problem with oss.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast