Thread: Dual Boot Screen

Beans

Dual Boot Screen

I just installed Ubuntu, on my spare computer, it is installed my second hard drive and have it set-up as a dual boot system alongside Windows XP. Ran into a few issues but was able to resolve them by searching around online but the one issue I can't find a solution for is during the screen that would allow me to select Ubuntu or Windows XP my monitor comes up saying that it is a unsupported mode and won't show me anything for about 30 seconds until it boots to Ubuntu (by default I assume.) Is there a way to change some of the display settings at the dual boot screen?
    Last edited by kc9fsh; March 18th, 2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Marked as solved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Dual Boot Screen

Please post the output of:
    Code:
    cat /etc/default/grub
    by enclosing in CODE tags (as I have) which can be used by highlighting all text and clicking hash (#) button at top of posting box.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What graphics do you have on your "spare computer"?
    What is the 'Native Resolution' of your monitor?

Meanwhile you can:

Code:
    $ gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
    and EDIT the line which says #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 to GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080 ie, remove "#" in front of the line, if there is any, and change 640x480 to the native resolution of your monitor. Then,

Code:
    $ sudo update-grub
    See if it solves the issue. If not post the output of "cat /etc/default/grub".
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    What graphics do you have on your "spare computer"?
    What is the 'Native Resolution' of your monitor?

Meanwhile you can:

Code:
    $ gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
    and EDIT the line which says #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 to GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080 ie, remove "#" in front of the line, if there is any, and change 640x480 to the native resolution of your monitor. Then,

Code:
    $ sudo update-grub
    See if it solves the issue. If not post the output of "cat /etc/default/grub".
    Thank you fantab! Setting that to my monitors native resoultion has fixed the issue.