Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: running browser as seperate user

Beans

running browser as seperate user

Hey all, I was wondering whether any security can be gained by running the brower as a seperate user? E.g. something like adding a new account in a new group and then using su to run the browser? Thoughts all? If this is actually a good idea then can anyone suggest a reasonably detailed method for setting it up.

Beans

Re: running browser as seperate user

This functionality is built in to Firefox in the form of "profiles":

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...ores-user-data

If you are using Firefox as Profile A then it will not have access to the passwords, cookies, bookmarks, etc. of Profile B.

Beans

Hungry Man wrote a great post on his blog.
    http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/08/0...nt-for-pidgin/
    The example is pidgin, but browser also apply to this.

Beans

As Lfekey2 notes, I've written this up for Pidgin. Replacing Pidgin with your browser will have the same effects.

Users are separated from each other in terms of file access and their ability to communicate with other processes in separate user IDs. By running your program as another user you gain some security.

There are downsides. When you download something from your browser it'll be in the other users home directory. You can fix this with setfacl but I haven't gotten around to learning how to do this.
    sig

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Man View Post
    By running your program as another user you gain some security.
    If you would collate a top ten list of ITW browser or related attacks Linux users face, what security would you actually gain from using a separate Id?

Beans

Doesn't apparmor already limit what firefox can access on your system?

Beans

Apparmor does restrict the browser. It's two different methods with somewhat different results.

@unspawn,

Linux desktop users rarely face threats. I'd say Java exploits are the most likely attack vector for a Linux user. In the case of a Java exploit running the browser and plugin as a separate user will mean that only that UID is compromised.
    sig

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    This functionality is built in to Firefox in the form of "profiles":

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...ores-user-data

If you are using Firefox as Profile A then it will not have access to the passwords, cookies, bookmarks, etc. of Profile B.
    This is not what I was asking about at all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Man View Post
    Apparmor does restrict the browser. It's two different methods with somewhat different results.

@unspawn,

Linux desktop users rarely face threats. I'd say Java exploits are the most likely attack vector for a Linux user. In the case of a Java exploit running the browser and plugin as a separate user will mean that only that UID is compromised.
    So this method would prevent the browser from doing any damage/making any changes to the users home folder?

Beans

Yes. It gets its own separate home folder. It can't read or write to the users home folder.
    sig

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast