View Poll Results: Good idea to make performance a priority in 13.04

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

86 87.76%
  • No.

12 12.24%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 13.04 should be dedicated to performance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: 13.04 should be dedicated to performance.

Quote Originally Posted by d3v1150m471c View Post
    but if we don't the bloat the os with flash and flare then all the hipsters will still use windows
    Citation Needed.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Looking at only one aspect is a recipe for disaster, so no, it should not be dedicated to performance.
    I never said "looking at only one aspect". But feel free to reply without reading. I said making it a priority.

The whole performance regression is a terrible thing and it makes the whole ubuntu idea pointless. If we can't even be faster than windows then we are into a world of suck. Performance used to be a selling point.

Every release has had a list of things to focus. So, I don't believe it makes sense to disagree on this only because of the 'focus' aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by codingman
    Give us a break! 12.10 hasn't even been released yet...
    I would bet you ten dollars that if I made this thread after 12.10 is released I would be replies like "it is already decided what it will be about so this is pointless".

I prefer to get the "12.10 hasn't even been released yet" excuse.

12.10 already is slower and features have been freezed so...

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    I'd be much more content with Unity and GNOME Shell if I didn't need to log into fluxbox or GNOME fallback mode in order to do anything related to 3d.

Prior to Natty, I'd simply disable desktop effects whenever I decided to do some gaming. Now, I need to disrupt my workflow, close all my stuff, log into a different DE, etc. Really, really annoying.

My desktop environment should not make a noticeable change in my applications. Windows 7 and OS X have no such issues.

I normally log in to 3D but like knowing that I can log in to 2D.
    I am trying to make a pair of scripts that toggle between compnzi unity and unity-2d.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    metacity --replace &
    sleep 2s
    unity-2d-panel &
    unity-2d-shell &
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    pkill unity-2d
    compiz --replace &
    So, it seems possible to move from one unity to the other without closing other programs. But it is sort of messy.

Switching from unity-2d to unity-3d works well, the other does not really work that well. Something bugs out about the window borders. But the launcher and menu bar are present so any full screen app can be launched and once launched you don't care about title bars, I guess.

Hopefully I'll found out a way to fix this glitch.

The idea to remove unity-2D looks more and more of a misidirection every day.

Exactly. Despite what is posted here, 13.04 will focus on whatever comes out of UDS-R, i.e. a number of things as yet undecided.
    So, without feedback how do you expect UDS-R to have any perspective on what to decide?

Before they decide, Let them keep in mind that compiz has been getting slower (This has been benchmarked by a verifiable source, so not a matter of opinion) when it should have been getting faster. That it has become a handicap making it even less likely for unity to become accepted. That it is making ubuntu less competitive against other ubuntu remixes, Linux distros and proprietary OSes. And that there is no reason to believe there is no room for optimization.

but if we don't the bloat the os with flash and flare then all the hipsters will still use windows
    Windows 8 and Mountain Lion are both flashy and stuff without making performance drop terribly. So...
    Last edited by vexorian; September 10th, 2012 at 01:07 AM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you are so dead-set on getting the attention of the developers, try using the mailing lists or launchpad, as they rarely read the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!

i don't recommend complaining to launchpad or the mailing lists at all. the targeted audience is obviously not the oldfags, like myself, or the power users. you may want to install the server and then install a DE of choice. blackbox and openbox are good choices IMHO, or you may prefer something like lxde or xfce. then you can invest your complaining to developers and likeminded users that support your hopes and dreams of not wasting all of your cpu on a spinning cube and panels with a mind of their own

Beans

Fix the heat issue.
    Laptops are melting out there.
    Nobody likes an OS that kills their laptop.

I hear ya bro. This is the main reason I'm hesitant to install Ubuntu on my main laptop. Every full-sized laptop I've had Ubuntu on since Breezy Badger has run very hot. And two of them have had a shorter than expected lifespan. I can't prove that broke them, but I'm pretty sure laptops shouldn't run as hot as they often do with Ubuntu. I'm not too bothered if one of my old netbooks burns out (both a running hot with Ubuntu, but ok with Windows). I'm not prepared to take that risk with my i5 though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by d3v1150m471c View Post
    i don't recommend complaining to launchpad or the mailing lists at all. the targeted audience is obviously not the oldfags, like myself, or the power users. you may want to install the server and then install a DE of choice. blackbox and openbox are good choices IMHO, or you may prefer something like lxde or xfce. then you can invest your complaining to developers and likeminded users that support your hopes and dreams of not wasting all of your cpu on a spinning cube and panels with a mind of their own
    Minimal install > server install imo.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    I never said "looking at only one aspect". But feel free to reply without reading. I said making it a priority.
    1. Don't be rude.

2. Thread title "13.04 should be dedicated to performance." definition of dedicated "wholly committed to something,"

3. "Therefore, I propose, let us dedicate RR to performance of the ubuntu-only things"
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Looking at only one aspect is a recipe for disaster, so no, it should not be dedicated to performance.
    Agree. Compiz is smspillaz's child, and only him and a handful of developers know the way around it (a Compiz bug rated as "bitesize" is a dinosaur compared to other softwares), and everyone else in Canonical has their own job. Don't make CERN scientists be doctors, unless you want cancer patients being fed to the Hadron Collider (joke somewhat courtesy of Cracked)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I think they should work on the performance as well. After using Xfce for a few years Gnome and Unity just seem heavy. Sure Xfce is meant to be more lightweight, but it does have built in compositing, which can easily be turned off if you need the 3d performance for a game or whatever.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm sticking with my Lucid Lynx until the bitter end... It has everything that I want and need. It's familiar to me (I know where everything is). It's built for a computer, not a touch screen tablet (I won't get a touch screen or tablet because I like my traditional, REAL keyboards and mice too much).

I started messing with Ubuntu since Intreped Ibex. I didn't get seriously interested until Jaunty Jackalope (which is STILL my favorite). But every new release has had it's pros and cons. I've never seen so many complaints as I've been seeing since the release of Unity. I'm glad I didn't follow everyone.

Once Ubuntu 10.04 is no longer supported, I think I'll have to move on to Xubuntu 12.04 because it's stayed similar to what I know and love about Linux and the Ubuntu family. I've already tried Precise Pangolin in a few different builds sitting around the house and was disappointed every time.

I'm going to sit back and wait for one of three things to happen:

1: They release 13 the same way Windows 7 was released. As an apologies for Vista. They've fixed everything and called it 7.

2: They release a new XFCE that incredibly, stays the same for us old farts who don't like the new Unity desktop environment.

3: Sadly, I'll have to move back to my pirated copy of Windows 7 and drop Linux all together because they've forgotten us

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast