Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Broadcom Wireless STA driver (wl) Ubuntu 9.10/10.04

Beans

Re: Broadcom Wireless STA driver (wl) Ubuntu 9.10/10.04

There needs to be some assumptions to include the largest demographic interested in this topic: The Linux testers on a machine with NO Internet, no cat5 pcmcia/pci/cables. 1. Any solution should include installing without cat5--strickly off cd or usb jump. 2. Since this is 101, assume the user knows NOTHING about linux--no permissions, passwords, what the "heck is snaptic and bash" dumb.

Most dabblers and testers are clueless of permissions, typo prone, and how to tweak bash to fit their specs. So, in a sentence, we might point to the 5-minute, fool-proof avenue for newbies: find Snaptic, goto options to allow installing from cd (looking first on cd and usb should be default behavior) , install windows wireless driver (ndis do-hicky, then install the gui. Then take, 30 seconds to install the drivers off the windows CD.

Up and running in 5 to 15 minutes--without any page of instructions. But first, you must this tool exists and how to get off cd without internet: http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/46385/
    ~~The Linux directory system is a messy desk of a genius-- ahh, /home at last!

~~Once a person gets used to anything, they become blind to it. Me, I'm seeing spots.

Beans

I actually had to reinstall the system, after just plug a physical Ethernet connection, then go to administration drivers and activate your driver (It should show up here). That did it for me. good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Lots of information in this thread so far and I really appreciate it.

One question I have is where do I find my driver details in Windows? I'm dual booting so I can mount my windows partition and then move it to my home folder no problem but I can't find the .inf or .sys files. How do I locate them on my windows hard drive?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bookcrazy View Post
    Lots of information in this thread so far and I really appreciate it.

One question I have is where do I find my driver details in Windows? I'm dual booting so I can mount my windows partition and then move it to my home folder no problem but I can't find the .inf or .sys files. How do I locate them on my windows hard drive?
    If like me, these threads with endless command line solutions are a foreign tongue, make you spend hours trying, and seldom work. (I spent 2 days as a windows user last year trying these linux solutions.) Then, you are talking going the winwirelessdriver way, I just got mine from the install disk that came with the card (manufactures site, you could try the system32 dir). The hardest part was installing the gui version of this in Ubuntu.

Another option, is install pinguyos.com or ultimate edition, since they recompiled the kernel to make the wireless cards work out of the box. They are a dressed up version of Ubuntu, without the crippling mindset of restricting things to Open-source.
    Last edited by degarb; January 22nd, 2011 at 07:21 PM.
    ~~The Linux directory system is a messy desk of a genius-- ahh, /home at last!

~~Once a person gets used to anything, they become blind to it. Me, I'm seeing spots.

Beans

Need help getting CDROM recognized as repository Re: Solved

Quote Originally Posted by Sepero View Post
    I solved this problem for a friend in a slighty different way. I hope this helps.

1. Add the LiveCD as a repository and Uncheck ALL other repositories.
    System> Administration> Software Sources

2. Update software sources. This can be done when you close the Software Sources window, or by using Synaptic.
    System> Administration> Synaptic Package Manager> Reload (button)

3. Use Synaptic to Remove bad packages if they are installed.
    System> Administration> Synaptic Package Manager> Search (button)
    * bcmwl-kernel-source
    * b43-fwcutter
    * linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic (any linux-image 2.6.32-22 or greater)

4. Use Synaptic to Lock the kernel package linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic, and lock the package linux-headers-generic to version 2.6.32-21.32. (This will prevent the problem from occurring again with future upgrades).
    System> Administration> Synaptic Package Manager> Package (menu)> Lock Version

5. Reboot (restart)

6. Install the wifi driver.
    System> Administration> Hardware Drivers

7. Reboot (restart)

8. Remove the LiveCD as a repository, and Recheck all the repositories that were unchecked in step #1.
    System> Administration> Software Sources
    After trying without any luck to establish a WIFI connection on my ACER 9410Z laptop with Ubuntu Studio 10.04, I thought this might finally get me going. However, when I try to "Add CD-ROM" as the only software source to get the working driver from the LIVE install CD, I get the response "Error Scanning the CD". The MD5SUM of the file was verified, the CD was burned and verified, the CD boots up in Live mode in another computer and is recognized as part of the files system in the very same Linux laptop I am trying in which I am trying to get WIFI working!! DUH?

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

After upgrading to 10.4 from 9.10 my wireless died--it had been working well on at least one of my wireless access points prior to the upgrade. I went to Synaptic manager / Settings / Repositories / and unchecked a tickbox in Ubuntu softwear "Proprietary drivers for devices (restricted). The wireless then connected with my WAP. I'm hoping it works after a restart.

[edit] Yes, it does work after restart. The forum was helpful in eliminating many of the usual problems. I made sure my card was active and that the STA driver was running. I then found the Synaptic manager/settings/repositories fix and it worked for me. Thanks for posting that fix.
    Last edited by HouTex; February 22nd, 2011 at 02:53 PM.

Beans

Quick question. Where do I unpack the Broadcom driver files to?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by metafunction View Post
    Quick question. Where do I unpack the Broadcom driver files to?
    my bad, I'm new and was getting my relatives and absolutes mixed up!

Beans

Thank you for the post! Works perfect on my MacBook!

Beans

Re: Broadcom Wireless STA driver (wl) Ubuntu 11.4

Hi i am using the new version of ubuntu and when i try to install the additional drivers the Broadcom wireless sta driver it says the the same ..

Sorry, installation of this driver failed.

Please have a look at the log file for details: /var/log/jockey.log

Can some one help me out with this issue ..

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast