Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My horrible Saucy experience

Beans

My horrible Saucy experience

Do not upgrade to saucy if you care in the least about losing services or anything you have installed.

First I run the dist upgrade and all looks good it boots and everything was there. THEN, I could not install remove or otherwise use software center because of the permissions issue (yes the service was running yet it would not allow my user to run it) I tried to run it as root. Sure it loaded and acted like it was doing as I asked yet nothing really happened.

I then went to reinstall the permissions tool and dbus to fix it as others suggested. no better

I decided to try a fresh install 2 out of 3 were ok at initial boot and one complained apparmor failed but let me in with a bug report request me in the face.

Then I got a fresh install working only to find anytime I specified a bridge and issued service networking restart my x session completely bailed or my favorite killed my desktop until the next restart.

I mean GKSUDO WAS EVEN MISSING FROM THE BASE INSTALL *face Palm* that's just embarrassing.

I am very good at computers been in them since I was 3 (now over 30 doing server support) and after a WHOLE day of shaking my fist at every turn I still have yet to have any kind of usable computer running Saucy.

I get the whole beta deal, but seriously if I have these problems I fear for many others out there. Let's not even talk about when I search for saucy forums the moderators and or devs are more worried about what to call their new version which is scheduled to be released very soon and it is soo buggy a Linux guru can't get it running after 12 hours WOW.

Trust me my computer can run it, and I tried EVERYTHING to get it going nicely.

I had to use my tablet to find this forum and write a warning I hope reaches both unsure users and the developers as a SEVERE word of caution, shock, and disbelief. This is obviously still in alpha and doesn't deserve to be labeled even beta yet.
    Last edited by akf-mike-nw2; October 14th, 2013 at 12:52 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: My HORRIBLE Saucy experience

Moving to the Ubuntu+1 forum (though since its not really a request for help, it might be better served in the General Chat.)

Written from my fully functional saucy install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I hoipe you at least reported the bugs, when you got the apport messages.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Again...don't know why people avoid using the live iso's installer method of upgrading...that is how i moved from 13.04 to 13.10 development 3 months ago and it went superbly....as i described in another thread of mine here...and 13.10 has been running great ever since...it is probably the BEST way to upgrade and also for some strange reason...the most AVOIDED...
    A pity i say

Beans

Of course, just shocking to download a beta 2 to find it is in use maybe barely out of alpha stage if we stretch the definition. Looks like another case of the OS trying to jump too far ahead too fast (Android did it too with 4.3). Just wish developers would recognize when there are issues and it may not be a bad thing to acknowledge that and push the time table for release back so they can squash bugs and get it truly to the stage it is stated to be (I mean even with Raring beta 2 was fully production ready with only small issues saucy has some real issues (not big and like Android mostly surrounding security), but those problems while small are having massive effects when you can't install/remove software or just restarting your network interface causes the xsession to bail to login screen. Not to mention missing a core piece of software in a base install is just shocking to see from ubuntu community.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm a linux noob so I treat new versions with a great deal of scepticism. To prepare for the worst I created two new partitions. In the first partition I did a DD copy of my Raring partition and then did the in-place dist-upgrade. In the second partition I did a fresh install from a daily iso. Both went as smooth as silk... so smooth that Saucy is now my production environment c/w postgresql databases and Win 7 Pro in Virtualbox VMs.

It's good to be the King.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by akf-mike-nw2 View Post
    I mean GKSUDO WAS EVEN MISSING FROM THE BASE INSTALL *face Palm* that's just embarrassing.

I am very good at computers been in them since I was 3 ....
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1172095 ?

Beans

That bug's not really about the user getting gksu default installed, it was as good as gone in 13.10+ anyway.

If someone wants gksu they can simply install it or have it installed from an app that depends on.
    Wouldn't describe it as "core" by any means.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Again...don't know why people avoid using the live iso's installer method of upgrading...that is how i moved from 13.04 to 13.10 development 3 months ago and it went superbly....as i described in another thread of mine here...and 13.10 has been running great ever since...it is probably the BEST way to upgrade and also for some strange reason...the most AVOIDED...
    A pity i say
    +1!

At the very least it's much faster!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by akf-mike-nw2 View Post

I am very good at computers been in them since I was 3 (now over 30 doing server support) and after a WHOLE day of shaking my fist at every turn I still have yet to have any kind of usable computer running Saucy.

It gets better from here on in. lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast