Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 3GS Sync?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question iPhone 3GS Sync?

Is it possible to sync the iPhone 3GS in Ubuntu? I am getting on for Christmas, and if possible, I really don't want to install Windows Vista just for the sake of using my iPhone. If it is possible, I will jailbreak to be able to use it in Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: iPhone 3GS Sync?

I think you'll have limitations even if it is jailbroken...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownFear View Post
    Is it possible to sync the iPhone 3GS in Ubuntu? I am getting on for Christmas, and if possible, I really don't want to install Windows Vista just for the sake of using my iPhone. If it is possible, I will jailbreak to be able to use it in Ubuntu.
    Yeah, Its going to be a really rough path to only use Ubuntu to sync your 3gs.

I have a Touch 1g, and its practically impossible to sync.

If you would prefer, I would suggest using virtualbox and run windows in virtual machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tom.swartz07 View Post
    If you would prefer, I would suggest using virtualbox and run windows in virtual machine.
    If it comes to that, I will do it. However, the only Setup CD I have is the Recovery Disks that came with my laptop for Windows Vista Home. How would I install it into VitualBox?

Is there a way to install Windows Vista first, than use gParted to increase more space on Ubuntu, than use VirtualBox to install my current Windows Vista OS without re-installing it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You can always dual boot also...

Beans
    Hidden!

It is possible to use the non-free version of VirtualBox to make a Windows virtual machine, and then use the sync in iTunes.

For more information on getting the USB to work, visit https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox/USB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: iPhone 3GS Sync?

Quote Originally Posted by MontelEdwards View Post
    It is possible to use the non-free version of VirtualBox to make a Windows virtual machine, and then use the sync in iTunes.

For more information on getting the USB to work, visit https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox/USB
    I have heard and read countless threads saying iTunes will not syn in VirtualBox or any of them.

I guess the only way is to dual-boot unfortunately. I really don't want to install Windows, but if it means the only way to get my music and iPhone to sync properly, so be it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So I've installed Windows Vista with the bare minimum of programs (AVG Free, Windows Live Messenger, iTunes) and than installed Ubuntu. So far, so good. Will be using Ubuntu as the main OS and only use Windows for iPhone. Yay!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

The jesus-phone and Ubuntu (linux) do not mix. As outlined above, there's a few hacks, workarounds whatever you want to call them but at the end of the day, you won't be able to just sync you iPhone nativly with Ubuntu
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi

The ipod touch/phone will sync with itunes in Virtualbox with no problems as long as you use the non free version(it,s free as in money) from the Virtualbox site and install guest additions to give you USB connection.

Hope this helps

Clive
    There's Gnome place like ~/

Sony Vaio All in One Ubuntu 13.04
    Acer Aspire 5315 Ubuntu 13.04 Toshiba NB200 Ubuntu Gnome 12.10

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast